IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Re: my 92 legacy overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
where is the bleeder valve you guys talk about? i only have one radiator cap and thats on the coolant tank thats on the intake manifold,

is it possible to retourqe the head bolts if i loosen them back up? they are the 3 layer metal ones?
did you get head gaskets for the t-leg or the wrx?
they are different the bore is smaller on the wrx, which i believe would cause them to have sealing issues. and maybe, but i believe that if you have a hg problem, you have to change the hg.

Last edited by jeffast; 10-06-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97 View Post
I have a 94 Legacy Touring Wagon (Turbo) with 180k miles. Ive owned know for about 40k miles, and previous owner had installed a new radiator. It has never overheated on me, but Ive just recently noticed after shutting off the car and being under the hood, I could hear a bubbling noise near the back of the engine. Wonder if I have air in the system. Hope its not a head gasket issue, I just had that with my 96 polo this summer.
no, thats the turbo thermocycling(i thinks thats what it's called), it has to do with thermodynamics, hot water rising out of the turbo, and drawing cold water in, basically, it's cooling off the turbo after the car is turned off, its ment to do that. don't worry
Old 10-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Very true... but I am not that optimistic.

Tom

Nor am I but I also think its worth burping right before yanking the heads, etc. Since the heat worked I was leary giving the answer but you know how I like the KISS method!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Nor am I but I also think its worth burping right before yanking the heads, etc. Since the heat worked I was leary giving the answer but you know how I like the KISS method!
KISS ass until someone does it for you

hehehehe... ya bringin the racer to the carve so I can has some competition???

Tom
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
KISS ass until someone does it for you

hehehehe... ya bringin the racer to the carve so I can has some competition???

Tom
Watch it there, I do more than I can find the time to do.
I wish I could get out but, the little one has been quite sick (actually getting a CAT scan right now) and I have way too much work lined up as it is if I could work my full schedule. You'll just have to use the 5 second rule. Any time you put in would've been 5 seconds slower than me.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM

the hg's were for t-legy and im positive on that
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM

i refilled the coolant exactly how tom said and i drove it for about 15 mins and it overheated AGAIN..

can i take off my thermostat and run it for a little and see if thats whats causing my problem?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 PM

When my STi got its new custom radiator it "overheated" alot on the drive home. It was just self burping so every time the temp guage jumped, I just pulled over, and topped off the coolant tank. I'd suggest on yours that you start cold, fill tank to the top. Then start the car with the cap off and let it idle. When the tank goes down top it off. When it starts to overflow quickly put the cap back on. That usualy gets the worst of the air out of the turbo subarus.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 AM

well the radiator should be perfectly fine, i meen this all sttarted when i did the td04 swap and wrx tmic, at the same time installing these my friend torqued down the headgakstes, not really torqued but he just used a wrench and tightened them hella after 300 miles of driving the new gaskets

i think ill just loosen the head bolts and use a real torque wrench and torque them back in sequence and also put that subaru stop leak additive

if that doesnt work ill put my stock turbo back cuz my td04 surges with very little throttle
Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
installing these my friend torqued down the headgakstes, not really torqued but he just used a wrench and tightened them hella after 300 miles of driving the new gaskets

i think ill just loosen the head bolts and use a real torque wrench and torque them back in sequence and also put that subaru stop leak additive

if that doesnt work ill put my stock turbo back cuz my td04 surges with very little throttle
changing the turbo won't help,
you probably have to do the whole head gasket job over,%90 you have already destroyed the head gaskets.
I recommend that you find a reliable shop to do all your auto work for you in the future, for the sake of Subaru's every where.

2nd edit :just to state my case politely, there's a reason there are torque specs, dumb ass.

3rd edit: i would get you heads checked while your changing the gaskets %80-90 chance that over torqueing them in the wrong sequence warped them badly, possibly out of spec.

Last edited by jeffast; 10-07-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 AM

<<i refilled the coolant exactly how tom said and i drove it for about 15 mins and it overheated AGAIN..>>

you did? you did #4 and #6?

4. Remove bleeder screw.

6. Replace bleeder screw
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
my friend torqued down the headgakstes, not really torqued but he just used a wrench and tightened them hella after 300 miles of driving the new gaskets
you did read this part right,

i don't thing t-legs have a bleeder screw, but i haven't really looked, where is it located?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 AM

ok so heres what i did: loosend head bolts and retorqued them in sequence the way in the repair book, the first way they were on there was a little to tight!

then after that i emptied all the coolant (mostly water though) and then baught a new gasket for my thermostat, then i put 2 bottles of subaru conditioner in and then refilled coolant, let it idle for 10 mins with radiator cap off, then drove it around and it was going good so i boosted it to 5 psi twice and then cruised a little (run was around 20 minutes) (never would last that long before this).... stopped the car and there was pressure but the overflow tank was the same level i filled it to , put my hand on the rad cap and it was cool to the touch. my turbo even has less turbo surge for some reason, but hey i think i fixed it? i only hope so!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:26 AM

oops didnt read all of the post

Last edited by legacyau; 10-08-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
ok so heres what i did: loosend head bolts and retorqued them in sequence the way in the repair book, the first way they were on there was a little to tight!

then after that i emptied all the coolant (mostly water though) and then baught a new gasket for my thermostat, then i put 2 bottles of subaru conditioner in and then refilled coolant, let it idle for 10 mins with radiator cap off, then drove it around and it was going good so i boosted it to 5 psi twice and then cruised a little (run was around 20 minutes) (never would last that long before this).... stopped the car and there was pressure but the overflow tank was the same level i filled it to , put my hand on the rad cap and it was cool to the touch. my turbo even has less turbo surge for some reason, but hey i think i fixed it? i only hope so!
i give it less then a year