How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Rust Proofing

I wonder... Would Rhino Lining do anything to protect against rust??

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
I wonder... Would Rhino Lining do anything to protect against rust??

~ Chris
It can in certain circumstances but the issue is Subies rot from the inside out. It is virtually impossible to get a lining in there at the right thickness everywhere that you need it.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Any opinions on this?
After reading a lot about effects of driving in the snow, I've decided to not drive in the snow at all. I'd like to preserve the car as much as possible
Here's the question.
What are the ramifications of keeping the car parked out of doors on grass ALL winter. I have no other choice. Is there anything I can do to lessen negative effects of the winter under these circumstances.Obviously, I'd clean it off in general.
Thanks all.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaze148 View Post
What are the ramifications of keeping the car parked out of doors on grass ALL winter.
I'd use a car cover.

Snow and winter weather in general won't hurt your car; road salt is the killer. You can undercoat, oil coat, and spend a bloody fortune meticulously washing the car every day, and salt will still find something, somewhere, to corrode. And as previously posted, surface rust is the least of your worries, because salt launches its assault in inaccessible nooks and crannies, then eats its way out.

I once overheard a guy at a car show in Vermont joking that he licked the pavement in springtime to rule out the presence of salt before he'd take his classic whatever out onto the road.

dcb
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
2. Wash your car very often, in snow don't park in a heated garage.
thats the best thing you can do is park in a HEATED GARAGE!!! it melts away all the built up salt/snow/slush in the wheelwells and under the car. it is by far the BEST thing you can do to help protect your car.

03 bmw 540i sport 6spd manual black (my baby)
03 mazda protege 5 blue stick
97 tahoe 2dr sport
88 hatch hi/lo w/7ft plow
66 olds 88 convertible
Old 09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneypit View Post
thats the best thing you can do is park in a HEATED GARAGE!!! it melts away all the built up salt/snow/slush in the wheelwells and under the car. it is by far the BEST thing you can do to help protect your car.
No, the heat speeds up the oxidation process... Not good. Ben has the right idea

Tom
Old 09-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
No, the heat speeds up the oxidation process... Not good. Ben has the right idea

Tom
not if you keep the car clean... ill take a heated garage and rust free cars like i have, over leaving them outside or under a car cover... prob why my cars are rust free, and you guys' "rust from the inside out"

03 bmw 540i sport 6spd manual black (my baby)
03 mazda protege 5 blue stick
97 tahoe 2dr sport
88 hatch hi/lo w/7ft plow
66 olds 88 convertible
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:

You'd be wrong on that one!LOL It melts away the snow and slush but leaves the salt behind which starts eating away at everything. Ever look at your car after the snow melts off it? Now if you wash it vigereously every time you pull it in heated garage that is a different storage.

You have countless classic car fans who actually drive 'em cringing with your thoughts!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
prob why my cars are rust free, and you guys' "rust from the inside out"
Being in New England, you're lucky that your cars have no rust perforation. If you drive them in road salt with any regularity, it's a pretty safe bet they are not "rust free."

Yeah, from the inside-out: You notice a little blister in the paint, poke it with your finger and find the whole bottom portion of the panel is crunchy. The thousands of rust-perforated cars in the Salt Belt didn't get that way because their owners failed to run through the car wash after a snowstorm, or touch-up a surface scratch.

dcb
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

+1 with Tom & Benebob

If you have to keep it on grass spray the underneath with something that won't trap the moisture.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
+1 with Tom & Benebob

If you have to keep it on grass spray the underneath with something that won't trap the moisture.
I'd be damned if I'd park it on the grass. I'd be searching for a garage to rent. Have seen the underside of too many Subarus that spent extended time in the grass or on stones. Its not pretty! If you can come up with $150-200 for 3 or 4 months of inside storage, you should be able to even come close to it by dropping your insurance down to a non driver status for those months!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'd be damned if I'd park it on the grass. I'd be searching for a garage to rent. Have seen the underside of too many Subarus that spent extended time in the grass or on stones. Its not pretty! If you can come up with $150-200 for 3 or 4 months of inside storage, you should be able to even come close to it by dropping your insurance down to a non driver status for those months!
WOW, you've got me spooked.I'll have to re-think things.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
There is a huge dealer network in Canada for both Krown and Rust Check which also has head office run outlets. I'm talking dealer applied product, not cans of spray bomb. They also offer a repair warranty to the value of the car if has been done annually from the time it was put into service, for what thats worth.

They are not petroleum product.

That said, for me, it's my experience over time and the fact that if you speak with body shops and mechanics in these parts they are virtually all in agreement that vehicles treated with these two products have much better body and undercarriage integrity than those that aren't.

It is also interesting to note that they will not treat some cars (e.g. newer Saabs) or only partially spray them, as they work with the car manufactures to determine correct application methods for each model which will not damage the vehicle.
( In the case of Saab their electricals are routed in such a way that insertion of the spray wands may cause damage.)
Krown is supposed to be a very very good product. I plan to get both my SVX and my wife's Legacy KROWNED this fall. My friend runs a very large collision repair franchise and he swears by KROWN.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 09-15-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Any logic to keeping a blue plastic tarp on top of the grass. I am looking for a garage, but no luck so far.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 AM

Yes and no. It will provide a vapor barrier from the grass below but it also will provide a good place for water to pool and sit.