IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 AM
svxless

Registered SVX
Re: So I got bored with my 94 svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow View Post
Looks terrible blue on black, but I think red lipped with a black wheel on black might work ;-) or a bronzish. that could look cool too.
+1 for bronze on black car

but i prefer stock color

a previous owner of my car had the wheels painted a charcoal gray color, that i personally dont think looks too bad, most people dont even realize its not "stock color"

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeneathNorthernSkys View Post
SVX enthusiasts, people with svx's who are bored, and the many opinionated people on the board...it can all only lead to one thing....APOCALYPSE!!!

This is what the Mayan calender spoke of...2012....SVX enthusiasts gone wild!!!! Run for the hills, lock the wife and kids in a bunker, tell little billy the dog will be ok when you know just around the corner hungry cannibals are waiting.....all b/c of one kid, and god save us all...his spray painted wheels.

I now take my leave...I got a bunker to make...
WTF are you talking about?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
WTF are you talking about?

Sounds like he's making fun of the people that took it way too personally.

Anywho, I buffed out the rims to stock color, which I'm still not happy with just because I hate the ugly alloy stock color.. soooo I plan on painting it chrome or maybe just a better silver color that reflects at least a little bit. I also bought new brake calipers that are fire engine red that look sweet so those will go on as well.

The bronze color idea is a sweet one though as well, and I may just have to give it a try if I decide that the stock/silver color is a no go.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

How'd you return it to stock? I just bought an SVX with spray painted gold rims (gold on black body like yours) and I can't stand it. My girlfriend says it's embarrasing to ride in the car with the gold on (LA folks really are that superficial). People poke fun at them every time I show off the car. I've been humoring the idea of flat black paint over the gold so they aren't so BAM! gold, but I'd far prefer stock over either option. The only reason I haven't tried buffing out the gold is worrying about round buff marks on the rims that can't be undone. If you say I can remove the gold without damaging the rim, I'll be the happiest guy on the block.

If it's non-degrading, then paint your heart away, but I wish the previous owner had saved me the trouble and left them stock. My 2 cents, no refunds.

-Kit W.

PS
Photoshop tutorials available on request Changing rim color would be just about the easiest thing to do, and if you just want a quick look at your options then I would be happy to walk you though the process.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
How'd you return it to stock? I just bought an SVX with spray painted gold rims (gold on black body like yours) and I can't stand it. My girlfriend says it's embarrasing to ride in the car with the gold on (LA folks really are that superficial). People poke fun at them every time I show off the car. I've been humoring the idea of flat black paint over the gold so they aren't so BAM! gold, but I'd far prefer stock over either option. The only reason I haven't tried buffing out the gold is worrying about round buff marks on the rims that can't be undone. If you say I can remove the gold without damaging the rim, I'll be the happiest guy on the block.

If it's non-degrading, then paint your heart away, but I wish the previous owner had saved me the trouble and left them stock. My 2 cents, no refunds.

-Kit W.

PS
Photoshop tutorials available on request Changing rim color would be just about the easiest thing to do, and if you just want a quick look at your options then I would be happy to walk you though the process.
First of all, I know how to use photoshop.. but I'd rather spend my time outside with the cars then inside playing with pictures.
Secondly, the only time you get the round buff marks is when you use the wrong kind of buffer/waxer. You need an automotive one and not a stupid cheap one from Walmart or Menards/Home Depot/Lowes. I have a few from Wyotech that my buddy used going through school.

If you don't want to buy one there are a couple of options..
1. Just get that buff piece you put in your drill and be VERY light with it, or else you will definitely get the circle marks.
2. Just sand it off, it may take you a while and you may have a few scratches but it wouldn't be so bad.

Plus if you just sand it out by hand you could buy the $15 buffer/waxer from Walmart it actually comes with a microfiber cloth that is, "supposed" to remove paint although I'm not a 100% sure that would work.. but it has an applicator cloth you could apply scratch doctor to the rims and then buff with the removal cloth the scratch doctor stuff and it'd still look pretty good.

I guess some options off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more but you can go from there.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by togan07 View Post
First of all, I know how to use photoshop.. but I'd rather spend my time outside with the cars then inside playing with pictures.
Secondly, the only time you get the round buff marks is when you use the wrong kind of buffer/waxer. You need an automotive one and not a stupid cheap one from Walmart or Menards/Home Depot/Lowes. I have a few from Wyotech that my buddy used going through school.

If you don't want to buy one there are a couple of options..
1. Just get that buff piece you put in your drill and be VERY light with it, or else you will definitely get the circle marks.
2. Just sand it off, it may take you a while and you may have a few scratches but it wouldn't be so bad.

Plus if you just sand it out by hand you could buy the $15 buffer/waxer from Walmart it actually comes with a microfiber cloth that is, "supposed" to remove paint although I'm not a 100% sure that would work.. but it has an applicator cloth you could apply scratch doctor to the rims and then buff with the removal cloth the scratch doctor stuff and it'd still look pretty good.

I guess some options off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more but you can go from there.
Hooray! Thanks for the tips on paint removal. Looks like I'll have a fun weekend outside with the car as well. I figured this would be do-able, but have been hesitant to take the first step for fear that I'd end up screwing everything up (I'm much better at playing with pictures).
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow View Post
Wow you guys are ridiculous. He felt like doing it, so he did. Express your opinion as "I think that looks bad" or "I think that looks good". There is no reason to go into personal attacks because of spray painted wheels.

Looks terrible blue on black, but I think red lipped with a black wheel on black might work ;-) or a bronzish. that could look cool too.
OK...I THINK IT LOOKS BAD....REALLY REALLY BAD.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Figure this looks better.
=)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx1.jpg (24.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg svx2.jpg (26.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-15-2008, 12:10 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

better, yes

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy

Yea the metallic blue looked terrible. But lately I've been liking the Japanese cars typical Honda's with the gloss blue, reds, greens, pinks etc. I don't think it looks good on SVX's though or ...........ya know what wait a minute. IMO.

Theres better examples but here
http://www.potn.co.uk/blog/wp-conten...stin_civic.jpg

http://www.wheeldb.com/images/Spun-G...Civic-Blue.jpg

http://www.wheeldb.com/images/Spun-G...ivic-Green.jpg

Go ahead flame me I don't care.
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruSVXCrazy View Post
Yea the metallic blue looked terrible. But lately I've been liking the Japanese cars typical Honda's with the gloss blue, reds, greens, pinks etc. I don't think it looks good on SVX's though or ...........ya know what wait a minute. IMO.

Theres better examples but here
http://www.potn.co.uk/blog/wp-conten...stin_civic.jpg

http://www.wheeldb.com/images/Spun-G...Civic-Blue.jpg

http://www.wheeldb.com/images/Spun-G...ivic-Green.jpg

Go ahead flame me I don't care.

It helps having nicer rims.. I wouldn't paint a set of rims that are actually worth anything. Those do look good though.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
And why use a $4.00 can of spray paint when you can do something alot quicker on Photoshop for free? That is, if you own photoshop and know how to use it (not many people do, so I guess I can see where you are going with that)...

~ Chris
Photo shop might actually be the answer when thinking about any modifications on our cars.
Would actually give us a good perspective on the final look!
I will do that before I do a change to my car but my only consideration so far is doing a black hood on my 92 Maroon!! ( I know, it isn't actually maroon but my high school colors were maroon and white... best I remember.
Being 78 years of age things get a little fuzzy but I am reasonably sure.

The light blue wheels do look a little out of character for a SVX but everyone to his own. On a positive note, the owner can always pull in the garage and park... not look down and won't matter that much. Also when driving, he can never see the wheels!!

Keith
Old 08-16-2008, 06:21 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post

-Kit W.

PS
Heck, I'd just sand the rim down, primer it with some high temp primer, and spray paint right over it.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by togan07 View Post
Figure this looks better.
=)
Much better, your wheels would look even better with some tire shine.
I prefer the graphite look on the stockers myself.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?