Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: 285 whp!

Tony,

If I'm reading you right you are saying the eg33 and 4 cylinder suby water pumps have the same output but the 3.0 6 cylinder water pump has a higher output.

The svx water pump pumps
20 liters per minute at idle
100 liters per minute at 3000 rpms
200 liters per minute at 6000 rpms

While charging ac systems after engine installations I've observed that coolant temps go down above 2500 rpm's so I'm comfortable saying that 100 liters min is about the minimum flow rate you would want. I don't have any information to indicate an upper limit where cooling performance drops back off. I imagine you either have that or can get that with your rig by forcing your fans on high and going for a drive at increasiningly high rpm with an already fully warm engine and monitoring the difference between the temp of the coolant entering and leaving the radiator (watching for a drop in the difference). If the difference continues increasing as you raise rpm's then it would be plausible that a higher flowing water pump like the 3.0 liter's would improve cooling performance--otherwise, identifying the upper limit of coolant flow where cooling performance drops off will identify how much you should try to underdrive the water pump by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
A couple of people suggested that we need to find out the coolent flow rates of other Subaru engines. I was at Subaru today so I looked up the work shop manuals on the different engines. As they say a "Picture paints a thousand words".
- Checked all the different four cylinder engines and the water pump put out 200l at 6,000 rpm. Sound familiar.
- The best news was the next thing I checked was the 6 cylinder H6 and it surprisped me. It pumps 320l at 5,500rpm.

So my guess is our engines are cooking from lack of water flow.
Tony
Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM

If we are seeing both hot and cold pockets of fluid witin the system maybe there is an issue with flow being too laminar within the passages. A turbulent fluid is better at absorbing heat due to the mechanical mixing of heated and unheated portions of flow. Maybe there is a way to increase the turbulence within the coolant passage. If a small piece of rod perhaps 1/16" or 1/8" could be welded or otherwise fastened within the coolant channel. The post would act as a vortex generator increasing the mixing effect within the passages and therefore reducing the "hot spots" experienced in your engines. I have never had the motor far enough apart to see if this is possible or if the rod i suggested would be totally out of proportion. I do think it could be a help if it is indeed possible.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If we are seeing both hot and cold pockets of fluid witin the system maybe there is an issue with flow being too laminar within the passages. A turbulent fluid is better at absorbing heat due to the mechanical mixing of heated and unheated portions of flow.
another option might be using waterwetter or maybe using http://www.evanscooling.com/catalog/C_npg1.htm
then flow might not be as big an issue as it's heat transfer that's the issue.
I laught cuz you're all the same."