Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Badd problem

today i was driving and then this loud clunk sound happened and i was like what is that then i went to give my car a little gas and this clunk noise got wiked loud my whole car would shake bad every time this clunk would happen like......CLUNK>CLUNK>CLUNK>CLUNK SHAKE SHAKE....so i had the car towed to my house now if i put it in drive it will not go anywherer just make that noise really loud and bad....and when the car is in park i can push it and it would roll down a hill....help please i have talked to my uncle and a couple friends they said cv shaft? does that sound right
THanks
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
My guess would be tranny. Can you shift into any of the gears? Does it clunk when you shift through?
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM

yea it goes right in the gears thats what i was thinking right at the beg. but that clunking noise it sounds like somepthing is spinning and every time it spins 1 time it is hitting on somepthing at that point and if my car starts going down a hill or somepthing it goes faster and louder
Old 03-24-2007, 07:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoryda28
yea it goes right in the gears thats what i was thinking right at the beg. but that clunking noise it sounds like somepthing is spinning and every time it spins 1 time it is hitting on somepthing at that point and if my car starts going down a hill or somepthing it goes faster and louder
Same thing when one of our roads ate the CV ball bearings out of one of our other cars.
Replaced both shafts {city was liable}, and no more problems.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM

hmm...how did that happen? the roads here are horrible i hit so many bumps that make me cringe
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Formerly MKP

Send a message via AIM to MPtyza
Oh god, this brings back bad memories. Not my SVX, but a close friend's that I was the last one to drive it on the road. Is it one loud hard clunk every time the tire makes a full rotation? If so, in our case it was when the front differential went. If I remember correctly, every time it clunked, it also gouged the inner surface of the one front wheel in the same spot. You don't have it in FWD mode do you? When the front diff went in her car, "park" didn't do a damn thing, just rolled like it was in neutral.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Graphic Artist

This, sir, is likely your problem

and this is likely the solution

Used differential link

get under the car and shake each front axle, if there isn't any play, then your front diff is likely shredded.

Figure on about 400 bucks on a tranny removal and installation, 250 for budfreaks used differential, and about 2 hours labor for swapping in the used front diff and pulling the driveshaft from the tranny to install a new pinion gear.

Now would be a good time to upgrade to 4.44s / 4.11s / 5 speed, it will probably make you like your car better. And make tranny failure less likely in the future.

In all likelihood, the transmission itself is fine.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Front Diff

I paid $150 for a front differential on Ebay WITH the case and pinion shaft and gear. Shop around a bit.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en
This, sir, is likely your problem

and this is likely the solution

Used differential link

get under the car and shake each front axle, if there isn't any play, then your front diff is likely shredded.

Figure on about 400 bucks on a tranny removal and installation, 250 for budfreaks used differential, and about 2 hours labor for swapping in the used front diff and pulling the driveshaft from the tranny to install a new pinion gear.

Now would be a good time to upgrade to 4.44s / 4.11s / 5 speed, it will probably make you like your car better. And make tranny failure less likely in the future.

In all likelihood, the transmission itself is fine.

-Patrick
soo if my transfer clutch is already gone would it be worth it to jus replace the tranny completely when i fix this differental problem?

and no it isnt when the tire spins, the loud clunking noise happens even when i am not moving and it happens right after another; not a very long pause in between clunks and the tires are in the same spot jus the car is in gear

Last edited by snoryda28; 03-25-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Not Diff

If the sound continues even when you are not in gear or moving, then it is definitely not the differential.

If the sound is not related to movement, then it has to be something on or in the engine.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-25-2007, 10:41 AM

if its in park it dosnt make a sound but the second i put it in any gear that sound gets bad and if i start moving then it gets way louder
Old 03-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
could be axles but it is probobly the front diff... Try the cheaper of the two first... Head out to your local auto parts store and pick up a pair of front axles (like $60 a piece). Install them and see if it solves the problem. If not, your diff has taken a turn for the worse. You can do two things at this point.... Try and find a shop that is willing to swap it...(good luck, most tranny shops don't want to touch our front diffs). Other is find a used transmission and install it. The used trans will probobly save you money in the long run because installing a front diff is relatively time consuming and if thay are charging by the hour...watch out. A used trans is a simple swap and it should fix the problem. Either route, good luck and keep us updated

Tom
Old 03-25-2007, 11:20 AM

alright...and if i get a used tranny that will solve my awd problem if it is the transfer clutch right....hopefully this is the last problem with this car ever since i got it it has been a money pit i just spent 200 dollars 3 days ago for the wheel bearing installation...ill keep you guys updated
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
i guess I didn't read it through all the way. Yes, this will fix any AWD engagement issues you have been having... If you want, I have a good SVX trans here... Let me know

Tom
Old 03-25-2007, 11:27 AM

how much are you asking for it?