Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 AM

Gas Mileage Stage 2 ECUtune ???

Trying to decide on a stage 1 ecutune or stage 2. Car is bone stock now. Has anyone checked gas mileage after installing a stage 1 and or stage 2 ? How does it compare to stock mileage ? Is the stage 2 all good, mostly good or ?? I will not be running E85 and not boosting the car. How is the actual performance gain on the stage 2 ? I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Wayne
Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I imagine the gas milage with stage 1 and 2 would be about the same. Stage 2 simply uses a Z32 MAF sensor in place of the stock MAF. The Z32 allows the ECU to read higher air flow. If your not intending on doing any modifications to the car, stage 1 would work just fine for you and probubly save you a few bucks.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
I put stage one in my car. In normal driving I got about 1 mpg less to about the same mileage. But with stage one you just want to be on the gas all of the time and that will lower your gas mileage.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
if you do not plan on further modifying the car stick to the stage 1. If you want to modify the car or go to ethanol eventually go with the stage 2. Gas mileage is about the same as stock. I get 21.5mpg with my stage 3 on a good day

Tom
Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I haven't seen any real difference that couldn't be attributed to my right foot aggressiveness with stock, stage 1, or stage 2
I am currently on stage 2 and getting anywhere from 20-25mpg depending how/where I drive.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I noticed no change through installing stage 1.

Keeping your tires filled or deflated will yeild a greater mpg deviation.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Every bit of info helps and I really appreciate the response. Now that I know it has no effect on gas mileage I will get one next week. I spoke to Michael at ECUtune today who was really friendly and helpful. Basically he said stage one will remove the hesitation on takeoff and stage 2 will give more power that you can definately notice. Did everyone who switched from stage 1 to 2 notice a gain in power ? I am leaning towards Stage 2 because I always try and do it right the first time and have learned it's usually cheaper in the long haul.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I think stage 2 is alot smoother overall. If you have the spare cash I would go straight to stage 2.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 09-20-2006, 07:53 PM

hello guys im new to the svx but working real fast on it, its been 2 days and its all most ready to rip down the road.

my question to you all is what is this tune 1 or 2, how does it work? what do i need to make it work like mods? how much money is it? where does it come from? who make it?

i own a 1995 subaru impreza aka 1991 turbo legacy, it makes ++350whp 18g ej20k heads on my ej22tblock with all suportting mods. its one scary car to drive. i have a local tuner that tuned my stock ej22t ecu. he reprograms chips and burns new ones, so i can change chips.

does the svx have what a legacy turbo has in its ecu? does the chip come out?

what i have planed for my svx is a stock set up but chiped so it performs much better and has a nice wot feel to it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If you search mod mania you will find detailed threads on all of ecutune's chip development.
They are made by a member here- Longassname - his website is ecutune.com
Current pricing will be on the website and he takes paypal.

Short story -
it plugs in to the slot on the stock ECU
Stage 1 is just the chip
Stage 2 is the chip and you need the MAF from a 300zx -the svx maf tops out in the upper rpm range but the z32 maf will read accurately up there.

Not getting too technical - the chips change the fuel and ignition maps. The threads on it or ecutune's website will have all the details.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 AM

Smile

I ordered the Stage 2 and hope to have it in next week. They should ship Monday or Tuesday. I will also put in a K&N filter and dump the pre filter under the fender. America is really a great place. Been around the whole world and you just can't get better than here.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Check out http://www.ecutune.com they are on of the only companys doing anything for the SVX. The are currently shipping out the preorders for a Stage 3 which is a complete Supercharger system.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM

Installed the Stage 2 Ver 6 today and the air handler. What a difference. It feels like a different car. No hesitation on take-off and it pulls so much stronger than before. Worth every penny. Going to run 87 octane and see what happens.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
glad to hear of your success.

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: