Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 08-19-2006, 08:48 PM

250whp N/A?

What kind of power are the N/A SVX guys making?

I've been thinking of starting a new project, and I'd love to make good power without going turbo. Thinking around 250whp would be nice for now. I figure that would require some intake mods, exhaust mods, and tuning. But is 250 possible without heavy mods?

I'm not afraid of going turbo, I just would rather stay N/A, at least for the time being.

For those who DID go turbo, did you change your compression ratio? If I went this route, I'd think 8.5:1 or 9.0:1 would be pretty nice. It'd still spool really quickly based on displacement alone. I'd think a GT30-76 would be a pretty nice match for quick spool and the ability to make 300whp, but I've got MUCH more experience dealing with turbos on EJ20's and EJ25's.

I want to steer clear of turbo/supercharged setups simply because of the lack of air-flow for proper intercooling. I can work around that if I have to, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
stay tuned....updated NA numbers should be available in a couple of months. Right now, we're starting to bump up against 200 Hp at the wheels.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-19-2006, 10:16 PM

200whp huh?

Neat!

Dunkirk Maryland? That's close by! Swing by our shop one day when your in the area! I'd love to see a 200whp SVX!

Andrewtech Automotive
240-683-1000

All we do is Subaru's!

Last edited by BAC5.2; 08-19-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2
200whp huh?

Neat!

Dunkirk Maryland? That's close by! Swing by our shop one day when your in the area! I'd love to see a 200whp SVX!

Andrewtech Automotive
240-683-1000

All we do is Subaru's!

Andrew (?),
I'll definitely do that! I grew up in Wheaton, so G'burg was in my larger "stomping grounds" while growing up. How far away from Altered Atmosphere's shop (8011 Cessna Ave) are you? That's where I've been doing all my dyno runs.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Phil actually. Andrew owns the shop.

Altered is right down the street. If you are going straight onto airpark road, just make a right at Chenault and a left onto Rickenbacker. The unit is 7615, we are unit E. You make a right directly before the traffic circle, and we are on the back of the building on the right.

We do all kinds of ridiculous Subaru work, but the SVX is a car we haven't gotten into really.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2
Phil actually. Andrew owns the shop.

Altered is right down the street. If you are going straight onto airpark road, just make a right at Chenault and a left onto Rickenbacker. The unit is 7615, we are unit E. You make a right directly before the traffic circle, and we are on the back of the building on the right.

We do all kinds of ridiculous Subaru work, but the SVX is a car we haven't gotten into really.

Phil (sorry, had to guess the first time ),
Your shop is now on my list! I'll make sure to give you a call next time I schedule some dyno time at Altered so I can drop by. You have anyone in your shop that's good at tuning? I'm still suffering from sticker shock from the $$ the Altered guys quoted me...
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM

We don't do a lot of tuning in-house.

We work hand-in-hand with TurboXS, but they just tune the UTEC.

What engine management do you have? You have a manual transmission, huh?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:40 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
no lack of airflow for intercooling here.... 26x7.5x3.5 FMIC, 2.5" endtanks....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil..._SVX/32906.JPG
Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm no stranger to cutting, and I could probably make the room for air, but I don't really think that's suitable for my application.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
Tell me,
Why not invest in the better liquid to air intercooler? It cools the air better and you don't have to have crazy intercooler piping as it will fit nicly between the turbo and the manifold.
All you have to pumb is a thin hose to the small radiator that comes with it.
alot simpler and you dont have to rearange the whole right side too.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
250 NA WHP is quite a bit. You'll need some pretty hot cams to move the HP peak out to around 7000-7500 rpm. I imagine that some headwork would be needed along with the other intake/exhaust mods. Torque probably will never be much better than around 200 ft-lbs of torque (as measured from a dyno).

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 08-29-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
250 NA WHP at the wheels is quite a bit. You'll need some pretty hot cams to move the HP peak out to around 7000-7500 rpm. I imagine that some headwork be needed along with the other intake/exhaust mods. Torque probably will never be much better than around 200 ft-lbs of torque (as measured from a dyno).
Mychailo,
If I can get to 195 ft-lbs at the wheels I'll be very happy
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Mychailo,
If I can get to 195 ft-lbs at the wheels I'll be very happy
-Bill
Hi Bill. With the auto tranny, that's a pretty good goal.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
My car G-Teched at 178 whp, before intake cams and before 5MT. Those mods ought to put me pretty close. If Michael's new chip does what he says, I definitely should be over 200 whp with it. Of course, that's just G-Tech, but the cars I'm going head to head with on the track on high speed straights, sotck 2002-2004 WRX's and E30 M-3's tell me the car is running strong.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold