Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-28-2006, 07:19 PM

How do you remove the crankshaft pulley?

I need to do a timing belt change but I do not know how to stop the engine from turning so that I can get the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. How do you stop the engine from turning to do this? I have read in a Haynes manual that you need to install a special pin/flywheel stopper tool. Do I need this special tool and if so where do I insert it? I have changed timing belts on manual transmission and have just put the tranny in 5th gear and holds it while I get the crank bolt loose.
How do you remove the cranshaft pulley bolt on a Automatic SVX?

Thanks, Ken
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
I've heard of two methods. One is to stick a flathead screwdriver in the access hole for the flex plate at the bottom of the trans. The other is to use a ratchet and a 2x4 across the engine bay. Put ratchet on crank bolt, brace on the 2x4, then crank the engine. If you choose method 2 wait for others to chime in. It sounds way to dangerous to do with my instructions. Try a search for better directions, they're out there. If you choose method 1 be careful not to harm the teeth on the flexplate.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 05-28-2006, 08:57 PM

Registered SVX
Changing the timing belt does not require removing the crank pulley.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
ummm maybe not in California but every where elce it does... there is a tool you can pick up... its a trick i invented... the tool looks like a exhaust cutter but doesnt have sharp teeth on the chain

need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
oh wait hold on one sec..... are we talking the underdrive pully or the crank shaft pully????
Old 05-29-2006, 07:13 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Yes, a vice grip with chain works well. Get a one foot piece of 3/8" rubber tube from the auto parts store as well. Cut the tube lengthwise and use it to protect the pulley when you wrap the chain around it. Works like a charm.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:23 AM

Removing crank pulley

I have a strap wrench would that also work or do you not get enough leverage with it?
Old 05-29-2006, 07:41 AM

ummm i dont see that working but i also dont see anything wrong with trying it and proving me wrong just remember to palm the wrench.... and not bust knuckes like i love doing....
Old 05-29-2006, 08:39 AM

Well my pulley fell off, but to put it back on I used a strap wrench with a long piece of pipe attached to the end of the handle to gain leverage. Worked great. Should be able to do the same to remove it.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken92SVX
I have a strap wrench would that also work or do you not get enough leverage with it?
That is what I used the first time. If it is wide enough it'll work, if not it will just stretch too far before you can break it free.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Yes it does. The timing belt covers cannot be removed until the crank pulley is removed.

If you use a chain/strap around the pulley, you risk destroying the rubber sleeve the secures the inner portion of the pulley to the outer portion of the pulley. Many people seem to have done it without damaging it, but just wanted to let you know. In my case, the crank bolt was on there so tight (probably from minor corrosion), and the strap method would have definitely destroyed the rubber sleeve.

The method that I used to remove the crank pulley bolt is one that I borrowed from svxfiles. Its kind of a nifty method that simulates an impact wrench. All you need is a long (say 16-18") breaker bar and a big hammer. Position the socket on the pulley bolt so that the breaker bar is pointing straight up. Then whack the breaker bar from right to left with the hammer. You have to swing it pretty hard. It took at six attempts before mine came loose, but it worked like a charm. When the bolt comes loose, the breaker bar will swing freely, so make sure that you have something to stop it from swinging into any fragile engine pieces.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:10 PM

and lets not forget that using a actual impact wrench is always the best method as long as its 3/8
Old 05-29-2006, 01:12 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I don't think there's room for an impact wrench. At least that's my recollection.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:11 PM

swizzle socket