How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Insanity8
I was changing the oil in my stepmother's Legacy wagon, using the emergency jack, and it popped out... while I was under it.
I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others: NEVER get underneath ANY car that is supported only by the OEM jack, no matter what type.

I've used my SVX jack several times without incident... WITH chocks and jack stands. Judging from its looks, it had never been out of the car before.

dcb
Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
THAWA

Why exactly does no one use jack stands?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I'm sure you know this, but for the benefit of others: NEVER get underneath ANY car that is supported only by the OEM jack, no matter what type.

I've used my SVX jack several times without incident... WITH chocks and jack stands. Judging from its looks, it had never been out of the car before.

dcb
No offense to the folks that have had a problem with the SVX jack, but the above is a "golden" rule, not just for an OEM jack, but for ANY jack. If you don't have a set of jack stands, they are very inexpensive, and you should buy them.
Also, I have NEVER seen an OEM jack for any car I would trust. But if they are used properly (read what the manual says about their use), one should not have a problem. The absolute key is to chock the wheels (so the car will not move on the jack!) and be sure you are on level ground and the jack is vertical. Jacks are dangerous period - almost two tons hanging in the air(?).

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
No offense guys but when the Jack is used properly in conjunction with the supplied wheel chocks, there is not an issue with it folding sideways. So far I have had to use the stock jack 3 times to fix flats or just raise the car with no problem. Just gotta use wheel chocks thats all

Tom
I disagree. First of all, the point of a in car jack is such that anyone who is driving the car is able to replace a tire on the side of the road. Not, anyone who is a mechanical engineer, on a perfectly flat road, and all the time in the world. Even with the wheel chocks, its not guaranteed to hold up if the car is on any sort of incline whatsoever. (read, side of a highway)

When I bought my car the jack was sitting in the trunk looking exactly like the one in the first picture. twisted to heck.

It is a bad design, and does not work well. A scissor jack would have been much safer and more appropriate in a 35$k car.

Oh, and yeah... never be under a car with only the jack to support it... that = not so smart. My buddies uncle was killed because he did that and was crushed. Now everytime we work on a car he has like 4 jackstands and the jack all in place. makes me feel better about wrenching on something while I'm under the car if i know it is completely solid.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 04-26-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb

dcb
I agree with David, but if used properly it wouldn't be a problem to use them occasionally and not for a long time (car being jacked up on these jacks). Again its always better to use jack stands and make sure to choke the wheels properly and loosen the lug nuts a little bit before u actually jack up the car, so that you dont need to put lots of pressure on the nuts while the car is jacked up. Finally remember these jacks are provided to change wheels in emergencies and not for any hard mechanical stuff.

-Pavan.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Don't bet on it. When I had my 99 300m, the OEM scissor jack also folded when the car shifted while I was jacking it up. My own fault due to forgetting to set the parking brake. I've used the SVX jack many times to rotate tires and have never had a problem with it, but I have always remembered to set the brakes and use jack stands whenever I've had to be under the car.

I suspect that most of the people who have had jack failures either failed to properly immobilize the car, or used a jack which had been previously damaged.

Also, it does not take an engineer to learn to set the brake and use the supplied wheel chocks, although forgetfulness and laziness sometimes coaxes us into making poor decisions. Some common sense is also extremely useful. I've done changes on inclined surfaces and simply planned ahead by positioning the jack so that as the car goes up and shifts position, the jack is still in the near ideal supporting position.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
It is a bad design, and does not work well. A scissor jack would have been much safer and more appropriate in a 35$k car.

Last edited by kuoh; 04-30-2006 at 12:12 AM.