Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
irox

'92 SVX LSi, should it stay or should it go?

Hi,

I'm facing a dilemmer. I've got a '92 SVX LSi, I've had it since '98, about a year ago the transmission made some bad noises and reverse stopped working. I've collect all the part needed for a 5speed swap, but don't have time/motivation to do the swap myself as I orginally planned. I've found a place that will do the tranny swap for about $2K. But there are also a lot of other little/not-to-little things that would need repaired for it be a fun car again.

Here's the list of what I know is broken or need fixed/refreshed.

1) Transmission.
2) rear wheel bearings
3) drive belt/pulls need replaced (*)
4) electric windows don't work or make a clunk sound
5) some body work, mainly dings and minor dents
6) hood needs replaced (dents from stuff dropped on it)
7) Paint job (I'd like to stick with perl white)
8) suspension might need some work/refreshing
9) New tires all round.

(*) I hear a bearing rattle in the front of the engine, from working on legacies, I'm guessing it's a pully, probably didn't get changed at the 70K service.

Other than that, it's got 110K on the clock and seems in reasonable condition. I did notice a tick that sounds like a sticky rod/lifter, but not 100% sure.

Items 1, 2, 3 and 9 need to be delt with before the car can be consider usable/safe again, I guess the rest could be done over time.

Can anybody advise me on what the cost of this restoration project will be?

Also, is really worth it? Maybe I should get rid of it and buy a newer SVX (or WRX, or Legacy H6)?

Any help/thoughts/advice greatly appreciated, I'm split over keeping it verses freeing myself of a car I'm not driving. I would do something soon as I'd like to move.

Thanks,
Ian.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yikes, sounds like you should be saying, "Engine for sale, comes with SVX"

Good luck whichever way you choose.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Number of miles on the engine definitely plays into the solution...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-21-2006, 01:59 PM
irox

Unhappy

Guess the logical solution is sell it.

Ian.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:45 PM
irox

Not so easy...

Well, turns out parting with my SVX isn't as easy as I figured. This is the car I've owned the longest, ever. I've done all the work on this car (since I got it at 75K), other than oil changes and replacing the passengers side door glass (although I wish I had of done that, they used the wrong color glass and the electic window stopped working a few months after the glass was replaced).

So, to get this fun/driverable again here are the estimates I've come up with, please let me know how relistic this sounds:
Transmission: $2000 +/- $300
Tires: $950 +/- $100
Tune up/belts/pullies: $800 +/- $200
Rear Wheel bearings: $500 +/- $100

Well, that's around $4K already. If I could find a Pearl or Silver (maybe black, but probably not, no other colors are of interest to me) LSi within a few 100 miles for under that, I'd go for it... But so far I've not been able to find one that has low milage and is in better shape. Even if I did, there is always the risk of unknown/undisclosed problems or quirks.

I can probably save on the tune up/belts if I do the work myself, I've done them before... The electric windows could be fixed by with junk yard parts.

How much would it cost to have it repainted stock pearl? Or have it paint Silver? But I guess this isn't as important as tranny/engine/tires/wheel-bearings....

And suspension work? Maybe it's ok and it's just the old tires, but if it's also worn, how much will I expect to pay to refresh it?

I guess there is the temptation to upgrade things, maybe time for 17' rims if I'm replacing the tires...

Oh well,
Ian.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 PM

$950 is way...way too much for tires, even tires and rims for that matter. Look up http://www.discounttiredirect.com. New tires should cost you no more than $300 A great tire is the Falken ze-512. As for the rest of the work do what you can yourself than save the paintjob for last.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by irox
Well, turns out parting with my SVX isn't as easy as I figured. This is the car I've owned the longest, ever. I've done all the work on this car (since I got it at 75K), other than oil changes and replacing the passengers side door glass (although I wish I had of done that, they used the wrong color glass and the electic window stopped working a few months after the glass was replaced).

So, to get this fun/driverable again here are the estimates I've come up with, please let me know how relistic this sounds:
Transmission: $2000 +/- $300
Tires: $950 +/- $100
Tune up/belts/pullies: $800 +/- $200
Rear Wheel bearings: $500 +/- $100

Well, that's around $4K already. If I could find a Pearl or Silver (maybe black, but probably not, no other colors are of interest to me) LSi within a few 100 miles for under that, I'd go for it... But so far I've not been able to find one that has low milage and is in better shape. Even if I did, there is always the risk of unknown/undisclosed problems or quirks.

I can probably save on the tune up/belts if I do the work myself, I've done them before... The electric windows could be fixed by with junk yard parts.

How much would it cost to have it repainted stock pearl? Or have it paint Silver? But I guess this isn't as important as tranny/engine/tires/wheel-bearings....

And suspension work? Maybe it's ok and it's just the old tires, but if it's also worn, how much will I expect to pay to refresh it?

I guess there is the temptation to upgrade things, maybe time for 17' rims if I'm replacing the tires...

Oh well,
Ian.
Hmm I am not that familiar with the prices. Many of the other members overhere can help you on that. But you are not too far from me. If you want to do the stuff on yourself lemme know, I can give you a hand and probably paul too can help you in the work.

good luck,
-Pavan
Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Old Guy

Ian: Having read both your posts, I have come to the conclusion that you have already fallen out of love with your SVX. It has obviously deteriorated over time, maybe from not being driven on a regular basis. You didn't say if you still drive the car, but I assume you don't. Dents in the hood from things being dropped on it is a dead giveaway of lack of attention. Your motivation to do anything with the car is lacking, another sign that you have moved on. My advice is to move all the way past the SVX and on to another car that has fewer problems and lower cost maintenance, maybe a Honda or Toyota. Best wishes whatever you decide to do.
Preston