IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Come on Rob, do it, face your fears we are all behind you buddy
That way, when we turn around to run, you'll be in front!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Bipa

Great News! I'm happy that you finally found a place that will do a good job at a decent price. Funny how it was Mountain West that pointed you in the right direction. Sounds like they are decent and helpful folks.

I'm looking forward to seeing those before and after pics. See if you can sneak in and take a few while your car is being painted, too! Having the same folks who do Shelby's cars certainly gives some reassurance that this won't be a half-assed sloppy job. I bet it turns out great!

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Hope it comes out great!! The SVX deserves a top notch paint job. I might just have to take my SVX on alittle visit to Las Vegas when I get it repainted.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If he does such a good job why does he continue to affiliate his buisiness with the Maaco name?
Old 03-28-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
If he does such a good job why does he continue to affiliate his buisiness with the Maaco name?
Good point. I don't know.

With all those classics, and the obvious word of mouth he's accumulated with the big names, it makes a person wonder.

The name Maaco has as much clout as a soup kitchen to me personally. Uhmmm...

But the cars were there, and they were authentic. I'm a skeptic from way back... My personality leans more toward saying they pack sand. And the work really did look great. I was truly impressed.

I'm going to ask him why as tactfully as I can on Thursday, because this is truly a valid point. Why would someone doing jobs for big names have a Maaco sign out front? I wouldn't!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Bipa

Thought you might find this interesting:

Feb 13, 2002
North Las Vegas MAACO Auto Painting & Bodyworks' franchisee Bob Berlinger was honored at MAACO's 30th anniversary convention in January for achieving $1 million in sales for the second time.

The 4120 E. Craig Road MAACO was one of 110 shops in a chain of 530 to achieve the mark in 2001. Berlinger was also honored with a Car Club Award for outstanding performance in customer relations and satisfaction.

http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Fe.../18035790.html

Bob Berlinger

Some pics of the franchise
http://www.maaco.com/locate/centers/...p?center=M1854
Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
Great News! I'm happy that you finally found a place that will do a good job at a decent price. Funny how it was Mountain West that pointed you in the right direction. Sounds like they are decent and helpful folks.

I'm looking forward to seeing those before and after pics. See if you can sneak in and take a few while your car is being painted, too! Having the same folks who do Shelby's cars certainly gives some reassurance that this won't be a half-assed sloppy job. I bet it turns out great!

Cheers!
I'm counting on getting a rookie that wants to impress. And of course, after getting it painted, I will never admit to anyone it was Maaco.... unless it's a really bad job. You can reference this thread till the cows come home.. I'll still deny it.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I'm counting on getting a rookie that wants to impress. And of course, after getting it painted, I will never admit to anyone it was Maaco.... unless it's a really bad job. You can reference this thread till the cows come home.. I'll still deny it.
Just tell 'em that you got it done at the same place as Shelby. That'll impress

Edit: Here's the BBB report on Berlinger
http://worf.usshurdman.com/~vegas/co...l?compid=48501

Last edited by Bipa; 03-28-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thought you might find this interesting:

Feb 13, 2002
North Las Vegas MAACO Auto Painting & Bodyworks' franchisee Bob Berlinger was honored at MAACO's 30th anniversary convention in January for achieving $1 million in sales for the second time.

The 4120 E. Craig Road MAACO was one of 110 shops in a chain of 530 to achieve the mark in 2001. Berlinger was also honored with a Car Club Award for outstanding performance in customer relations and satisfaction.

http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Fe.../18035790.html

Bob Berlinger

Some pics of the franchise
http://www.maaco.com/locate/centers/...p?center=M1854
Thanks Bipa, good find! Makes me feel even better.

Those pictures of the shop are generic though. It didn't look anything like that. The front was smaller without the fancy desk, and the back was 4 separated rooms, and all 4 were quite large. The paint booths were closed off, and I couldn't see inside them. I asked and he said there were cars in them curing.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Just tell 'em that you got it done at the same place as Shelby. That'll impress

Edit: Here's the BBB report on Berlinger
http://worf.usshurdman.com/~vegas/co...l?compid=48501
Yep! (Snapping suspenders)

I was hanging out in the pit with Shelby the other day sipping on a raspberry kinkospasher. Now, I'm not real keen on raspberry, but Cruise was there, and he wanted to play with the blender Shaquille had gotten me for my birthday.

Anyway, I started thinking about the SVX and said "Carrol, where do you get your cars painted?" Well, he looked up at me wiping his chin and told me about Bob's place. Carrol is just good people... I remember back when I got him started in the business and..................

Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Yep! (Snapping suspenders)

I was hanging out in the pit with Shelby the other day sipping on a raspberry kinkospasher. Now, I'm not real keen on raspberry, but Cruise was there, and he wanted to play with the blender Shaquille had gotten me for my birthday.

Anyway, I started thinking about the SVX and said "Carrol, where do you get your cars painted?" Well, he looked up at me wiping his chin and told me about Bob's place. Carrol is just good people... I remember back when I got him started in the business and..................
Err.... better than the image I conjured up when I thought of you doing it yourself!

Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Great paint jobs

Hi everyone, As some of you may remember when my daughter was learning to drive we took the SVX to her high school parking lot on a Sunday[it was empty] to do a little pre drivered practice low speed driving. Well she got flustered and drove the beauty completely under a HD chain link fence. The MB,BMW and Subaru factory body shop and a place that had done a small job for me before was were I took the wounded garage queen. There was hardly an inch that was not scratched. I explained what happened to my insurance co.and the car was totaled. The car was in the shop from Thanksgiving untill the end of Feb. The total cost with two new tires was around 10 Grand. When I had the car detailed at reading the tech/owner was drooling over the paint. A year and a half go by and I notice a mark on the right rear quarter panel. I look. There is no paint and no metal. Nothing. The guy tells me we don't cover rust repair. I only mention this as Roberts paint jobs includes a rust repair. Of course in LV rust is not going to be a problem, but buyer beware. Take care Robert, and everyone else with a future paint job/body repair, BOBB
Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb
Hi everyone, As some of you may remember when my daughter was learning to drive we took the SVX to her high school parking lot on a Sunday[it was empty] to do a little pre drivered practice low speed driving. Well she got flustered and drove the beauty completely under a HD chain link fence. The MB,BMW and Subaru factory body shop and a place that had done a small job for me before was were I took the wounded garage queen. There was hardly an inch that was not scratched. I explained what happened to my insurance co.and the car was totaled. The car was in the shop from Thanksgiving untill the end of Feb. The total cost with two new tires was around 10 Grand. When I had the car detailed at reading the tech/owner was drooling over the paint. A year and a half go by and I notice a mark on the right rear quarter panel. I look. There is no paint and no metal. Nothing. The guy tells me we don't cover rust repair. I only mention this as Roberts paint jobs includes a rust repair. Of course in LV rust is not going to be a problem, but buyer beware. Take care Robert, and everyone else with a future paint job/body repair, BOBB
An old member from here brought the SVX to me from MN. Car was in great shape but that one rust spot.

Yeah, a little worried about the rust. But he explained while going through the estimate that he's pulling the bumper off to make sure he cleans it completely up.

It seems on the rear quarter panel, right above where the bumper meets the wheel well is common for rust in the north?

Old 03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Rust

Hi Robert, I have the rust in the same spot. The SVX bodies were supposed to have been completely dipped in zinc. This led me to think that the previous owner had had a small bump fixed in that spot and it was not repaired properly. Hence the rust in that spot. Take care, BOBB
Old 03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
I have two of them now, and both cars have rust in that very spot, both sides. I have seen other cars with varying degrees of rust there also. Guess the zinc dip missed that part.

I think it may have something to do with the screws used to hold the inner fender liner on; the screws used rusted, then, in contact with the metal there, it spread. Just a theory though, and I don't know much about chemistry (I got removed from the class when I was in highschool... long story )
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*