Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Phil & Belha

If was just a maroon SVX I'd be tempted to buy it cheap as a parts car. But because it's the Autocar roadtest car, I'd feel guilty about scrapping it. It really needs someone to throw a lot of cash into restoring it.

As far as Jap imports go, the best and only english language reference is JamSVX's site: www.geocities.com/jamsvx. Look under "SVX Versions".

The ones to go for are the Version L or the S4. Some of the Version E's are quite nice too depending on what options are fitted.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 04-08-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Cheers had a look at the site. Having only come in to the world of SVX late in 2004 via a UK car was not aware of the Jap specs etc. Interesting ! understand re the Autocar maroon SVX but the fact is it is getting very long in the tooth and looking at a spares/repair i suspect. Needs the autobox refurbing and a full respray, engine rebuild shame Subaru UK don't take it on as part of the heritage of the brand ?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM

I can fill in a bit of info on the test car.
Myself and a business partner bought PDH at auction as seen last summer, she drove nicely considering the age of the car but check engine light was on.
We had her on display at various events around the country on sale.
The gearbox was fine until someone (not me) decided to play with the gears in manual mode, not a good idea as we all know.
She was then sold at a classic car auction as seen. I should have bought out my partner's share in the car and kept her but storage was a problem at the time and financially it did not make sense to own 2 SVXs.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Brighton rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain paul
I can fill in a bit of info on the test car.
Myself and a business partner bought PDH at auction as seen last summer, she drove nicely considering the age of the car but check engine light was on.
We had her on display at various events around the country on sale.
The gearbox was fine until someone (not me) decided to play with the gears in manual mode, not a good idea as we all know.
She was then sold at a classic car auction as seen. I should have bought out my partner's share in the car and kept her but storage was a problem at the time and financially it did not make sense to own 2 SVXs.
Hey Paul

Welcome to the site, and thanks for the update.

The gearbox may have been on a downward spiral, and playing with it just hastened the demise. I'm saying this, having had quite a bit of trouble with my last car, and currently, I have not had time to solve an electrical glitch in Betty's gearbox.

I think if you don't hammer the box, or change down to a gear that is too low, with a good gearbox you can play a bit without too much harm done. I constantly shift from D to 3 and vice versa in order to SAVE my gearbox and drivetrain.

PDH should be a good bet to hold onto, but it does sound as if quite a bit of rectification is currently on the cards. With a few of them on the market at pretty cheap prices, I am sure it would be very easy to buy a better one for the money, for everyday use.

But as a piece of nostalgia, PDH would be a worthwhile gamble for somebody mechanically minded, who was willing to do a rolling restoration.

Nice to have you on the forum, and thanks again for the history.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 PM

Hi Joe, thanks for the welcome, apologies for my delay in replying, I've been away working. As you quite rightly say gently snicking into 3 from D is perfectly ok especially when town driving, my guess is it was probably 2 at 80mph and a big foot on the throttle just for good measure. My own car will only will only pull away in manual then will go into D once on the move, I suspect the fault is probably the sprag. Hopefully I can find time to work on it soon. I do have a WRX STI box ready for my manual conversion project. I also need a windscreen to get me back on the road, anyone know of one for sale? As you say, Brighton rocks, I'm off out for the evening, walking, Ford transit is hardly a head turner, something about the windows being very ordinary.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Maineman1963
Captain hi. Be interesting to see how you get on with the 6 speed box from the STI. I just love the STI's as well ! You just missed a windscreen on Ebay ( so to speak ) alas as they are like gold dust.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:06 PM

Hi Maineman, I was in the bidding on that last one, I saw it as about £150, maybe £200 would have secured it. Just have to hope for a breaker to come on the market. My box is a 5 spd, couldn't afford a 6. To the best of my knowlege it is an sti box. Off out now, bright lights of the city and all that.
Cheers,
Paul.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: