Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Just bought a '92...

Hello all,

I just picked up a 1992 Teal SVX LSl with 148k miles. The body is in pretty good condition, 1 dent in the rear, but otherwise straight. Luckilly the car lived its entire life in California (according to Carfax) so there isn't an ounce of rust anywhere!

It needs to be serviced, for sure a transmission flush and maybe a powersteering flush. The oil is clean but the diff fluid is probably old. What is recommended for service with this mileage and unknown maintanence history? I am somewhat mechanical and would do anything I can before taking it somewhere, the dealership quoted me $190 for a Tranny flush Also, is it possible to buy a factory service manual?

Any other advice is appreciated, I'll take some pictures.

The SVX is a nice addition to the family (2002 WRX wagon and a Jeep Grand Cherokee)

Thanks

Kevin (excited new SVX owner)
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Welcome! I'm excited to see another SD SVX!!!! As for the fluids, I've personally swapped out my Diffs and Engine to Royal Purple and haven't had a chance to flush and refill the tranny with RP yet but at $10 a quart X10 thats going to be an expensive swap. If you need any help or just want to get together and show off your SVX to another appreciative owner just let me know. Maybe even hit up some lunch today.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Kevin welcome to the world of SVX'in.

I have a good set of manuals that I can e-mail you. They are not factory ones but very good source of information. Total is about 15mb of info. PM me with an e-mail address and I will send then to you.

$190 to flush the tranny is not that bad considering my rebuilt cost me $2300.00. The flush will remove the dirty fluid from the torque converter, or it is supposed to. If you just change the filter then you will only need about 4qts of ATF.

Tranny cooler and an External tranny filter, summit part # sum-g4980, are a great investment. They help prolong the life of your tranny.

Installed external filter

Check out peoples lockers and you will see a lot of pics. Everything from mods to maintenance, to dead trannys <---mine--

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-16-2006, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome...

As far as the tranny cooler goes, I have seen the pictures on this site and read about it. What type of cooler do people run, and where do you get it? Universal?

Thanks

Kevin
Old 03-17-2006, 06:06 AM

You can get a universal one from any auto parts store. They are about 50 bucks. I installed mine inbetween my condensor and radiator. Very simlple install and only takes about an hour or two.

Steve

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Ya can't fix stupid

Welcome Kevin.

There's always plenty of help to be found on the site. These people are great and most know their stuff.

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

1992 SVX LSL Silver - parts
Old 03-19-2006, 08:39 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird
Welcome Kevin.

There's always plenty of help to be found on the site. These people are great and most know their stuff.
Plus he has help close by as well.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM
<<<Alcyone

Use that neat little 'Search' button before you have anyone do a transmission flush for you. Members have stated that they had a flush done and it dislodged bits that then clogged orifices, causing complete transmission failure.

www.subaruparts.com and www.1stsubaruparts.com will be your next best friends after the great people on this network!

Dan
Old 03-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Any Subaru dealership can print you out a list of scheduled maintenances. Oh and welcome, don't drop the soap. My girlfriend's cursed this week and I'm feeling a little friskey
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I'd skip the flush and just do a fluid drain and swap, I second the recomendation for adding a tranny cooler and I sure do like having a tranny temp gauge. Then again, I'm on tranny #4 so what do I know?

Welcome to the SVX family, nice to see another west coast member. All the CA people I've met are real nice. Hows about posting some pics of your car?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
It goes fast-that's all I know

[QUOTE=KevinM] Also, is it possible to buy a factory service manual?

I saw a service manual for Subaru's 92-? and the SVX was included at Kragen's Auto Parts. I looked through it a little bit and it seemed to be pretty detailed, but I'm admittedly completely ignorant about stuff like that. (What can I say? I'm a chick? )
Congrats on the new ride. I just got my 92 Liquid Silver last month. Fun huh?
Jeanne in Pismo
Old 03-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Any Subaru dealership can print you out a list of scheduled maintenances. Oh and welcome, don't drop the soap. My girlfriend's cursed this week and I'm feeling a little friskey
OMFG! ROFL! When did this go from a car forum to a prison yard??
Old 03-21-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
...don't drop the soap. My girlfriend's cursed this week and I'm feeling a little friskey
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
OMFG! ROFL! When did this go from a car forum to a prison yard??
I am glad I am a 1000 miles away. There might be a rear end collision in Ohio!!!

Steve <--hiding in a corner with his back against the wall

Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there

Last edited by SVX-FF; 03-21-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 PM

LOL, how did this post turn into a prison rape discussion?

Speaking of such horrific things, my relationship with said 1992 SVX is off to a bad start. In an effort to bring the maintanence up to speed, I did a few things; changed the air filter (from a beat to hell K&N with no oil and plenty of holes, to a NAPA Gold), siphoned out some powersteering fluid and replaced with new ATF, and attempted to change the transmission fluid and the filter.

Once I drained the ATF from the tranny pan drain bolt (into a 1 gallon jug, and then ALL OVER my garage floor ) I couldn't get the filter out without the fear breaking the hard tube that covers it. So, I wiped off the screen a bit, cleaned the magnet, put on a new gasket and bolted her up...this is the bad part. In the process of tightening the bolts (with a 3/8 drive ratchet, not a breaker bar) I managed to snap off one of the bolt heads , which promped a string of curse words and the throwing of my ratchet.

As of now it does not leak, but I fear it is a matter of time. Hopefully the half bottle of Lucas Tranny oil will help control some leaking.

If that weren't enough the power steering pump now burps out oil through the cap when I turn the engine off. I had replaced some of the old ATF with some fresh fluid and a bit of Lucas Tranny oil. Any idea on why this is happening now? I did tighten up some of the hose clamps that were loose.

This car is cursed! Thanks for listening, I'll post pics when I figure out how.

Kevin
Old 03-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That one's damn funny