How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Wolfeman

Send a message via Yahoo to dwolfe71
Turn key and starter will not turn!!!!!!

Ok guys I've been dealing with this problem for the last two weeks. One day I got ready to go to work , turned the key and nothing except for headlights, radio , fan interior lights and all dash lights worked. But no power to the dang starter. I replaced the battery, checked inhibitor switch (was good), replaced the ignition switch , replaced the starter and still no power to starter. I can use jumper wire to start vehicle but that is a headache sometimes since sometimes it seems to be hard to start the car that way. I even checked the SBF4 fuse which supplies power to the ignition (it was good) and I check all the fuses in the fuse box inside the vehicle. I am freakin stumped!!!!! I also used a voltmeter and checked trigger wire for starter and it only read like 1.5 mv. I figured it has something to do with the wiring or some relay that I don't know about. OH here is the big interesting fact. After I am able to hot wire the starter, as I drive I can hear like
static electricity sounds from behind my dash area. It seems to get louder when the stereo is turned up a little and seems to lessen when the stereo is turn down......wierd (will main relay do this ??). I have all factory stereo in my car. I guess maybe I should use voltmeter on terminals of ignition switch coming from the vehicle side to see if power is coming in for ignition/start. My accessories work well with no problems. Lastly, when I do turn the key to start the car, my clock and radio display lights DIM and when I release the key they come back on ....this is the same with the fan blower. Guys is there a RELAY I missed somewhere???????????? Please ....need a experienced Subaru tech or someone who has had this happened before to help!!

I just can't see my vehicle running fine for three years and then all of a sudden no supply power to the starter one day!! This seems so indicative of a fuse or relay issue. I just can't find a bad fuse or relay associated with this!!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Wolfeman

I miss driving my car sooooooooooo much ....i hope someone can help me with this before I go broke at the Stealership!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Try cleaning the grounds or doing the alternator mod if you haven't yet.

You may want to get a volt meter to plug into your lighter (that displays the voltage in numbers) so you can monitor the charging system as you drive.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
See if this helps

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Wolfeman

ok ......after much searching and boooming my music to hear that staticy sound coming from my dash area I found a cluster of wires for a lack of better words vibrating!!!! I following the trail of wires and it lead to a freakin RELAY!!!!! And not only that the damn relay is a Bosch (# EF8933001778). I don't know what the hell it is for but it is located right next to the ignition switch harness which is located to the right of the steering column!! I going to get another from NAPA or auto shop and see what happens. That relay is the buzzing sound I hear when I drive and when the music is one. This buzzing started right after the ignition problem occurred!!!! Holy Jeepers I hope this is it!!!!!!!! Yall just don't know what I've beeen through with my beloved SVX. I love her sooo much that I've shelled over $300.00 dollars fixing symptoms. If this does the fix , I will post the info on the forum and take pictures of the location of this beast!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Thank God you only spent 300 dollars, I have spent k's!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Wolfeman

Angry

Crap crap crap.....that did not do it ..............must be some major electrical problem...........time to go to the stealership and get it fixed!!!! This sucks!!
They are going to bend me over big time with this repair ...I know it!!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Wolfeman

Talking

Ok I figured something out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tracked the power supply all the way to the Starter interrupt relay!!!! As I said in earlier posts...my ignition switch is great, batt is good , starter good and NSS good. The power coming in from ignition switch is great via blk/white wire, power coming into from the batt is good via blue/red wire. Here are the problems. The power from the batt (blue/red wire) goes straight to the security module via relay and small blue/ white wire but small blue wire only registers like .22V with power route through relay. When I disconnected relay, and jumpered the blk/white with the big blue/whit that goes to the inhibitor the car started right up. I also later jumpered the blue/red to the small blue/white and now I am without security features and remote control door locks!!. But that seems to narrow my problem down to the damn security system!! Now I need recheck all and replace the fuse that for the seucrity system that I probably blew during the jumpering session. The problem now lies somewhere between the starter interrupt wires and the security module!!! What a freakin complicated vehicle this is!!! Well at least I dont have to hot wire the starter anymore to get it started. My fear is that as soon as I replace the dang fuse for the security module, the no start issue will have again!!! Also after the power went out for the security system , I was able to plug the relay back in and the FREAKIN CAR started! This makes me focus more on the security system as the culprit of my problems! Oh well ......at least I'm learning more and more about the wonderful car of mine
Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe71
Ok I figured something out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tracked the power supply all the way to the Starter interrupt relay!!!! As I said in earlier posts...my ignition switch is great, batt is good , starter good and NSS good. The power coming in from ignition switch is great via blk/white wire, power coming into from the batt is good via blue/red wire. Here are the problems. The power from the batt (blue/red wire) goes straight to the security module via relay and small blue/ white wire but small blue wire only registers like .22V with power route through relay. When I disconnected relay, and jumpered the blk/white with the big blue/whit that goes to the inhibitor the car started right up. I also later jumpered the blue/red to the small blue/white and now I am without security features and remote control door locks!!. But that seems to narrow my problem down to the damn security system!! Now I need recheck all and replace the fuse that for the seucrity system that I probably blew during the jumpering session. The problem now lies somewhere between the starter interrupt wires and the security module!!! What a freakin complicated vehicle this is!!! Well at least I dont have to hot wire the starter anymore to get it started. My fear is that as soon as I replace the dang fuse for the security module, the no start issue will have again!!! Also after the power went out for the security system , I was able to plug the relay back in and the FREAKIN CAR started! This makes me focus more on the security system as the culprit of my problems! Oh well ......at least I'm learning more and more about the wonderful car of mine
Edit/Delete Message
Is it a stock security system or aftermarket?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Wolfeman

Unhappy

Stock security system. Now I just jumper the ignition switch to the inhibitor wires that connect via starter interrupt relay. My cars starts right up....Crap figured this out after folking out $250.00 plus replacing stuff. What a waste!!
I should have really taken my time and tracked it down systematically with my trusty voltmeter. Also voltage from the power supply to the starter interrupt is always hot and the other wire that goes to security ctrl module goes up and down up and down causing buzzing sound when my sound system is playing at moderate level. Wierd...........I need to know how to get security system to shut off after car is disarmed. Freakin sucks!!!