Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Stopped by the shop today to get an update on the progress of the intake. Main guy was not there so I talked to another guy to get some feedback. He called the main guy on the phone (who was on the road) and got back with me.

He indicated that it 'seems' that having two tubes coming from the throttle body is 'almost' an impossibility due to the amount of room needed for both intake tubes to occupy. This was based on the measurements that were taken. He told me that the main guy was working on a modified version of the dual throttled opening box of sorts that would be similar to the stock intake. I told him that would not be acceptable. I want dual intake tubes coming from each throttle body that would join further down the intake path towards the air flow sensor. If they can not come up with a solution, I will scrounge up something myself to testing. They have the flexibility to use stainless steel, silicone tubing with bends and/or aluminum if they must. Even plastic bends is acceptable. I just want two tubes merging to one. The tubes can be no less than 1.5" each.

I looked around their shop and have a couple of ideas if they do not move on this. They are pretty busy and have other priorities but I don't want to wait months for something that can come together in a matter of a couple of weeks. I'll give it to Monday before making any moves myself. With the piping/silicone hoses and such they have, it can be done. So this is where I am at for now.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 02-12-2006, 04:59 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Does anyone know who I can talk to about making this piece up for me? The shop I stopped at is still scratching their heads. Thanks!
***R.I.P***
Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Kevin,
Find a local shop that does roll cage fabrication. What you've got in the picture is fairly basic roll cage fabrication work....
If you can't find a "cage" fabricator, try finding a shop that does custom headers....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Kevin,
Find a local shop that does roll cage fabrication. What you've got in the picture is fairly basic roll cage fabrication work....
If you can't find a "cage" fabricator, try finding a shop that does custom headers....
-Bill
Bill,

I know of such a shop. Actually, Xotic Motorsports (Where I get my dyno runs done at) has a older gentleman there by the name of 'Art' who has partial ownership of the shop. He does the welding work there. I'll hit him up to see what he says. Thanks!
***R.I.P***
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
im not exactly sure why people are thinking that the intake plenum is restrictive. I do know that having 2 pipes that are not designed correctly could cause a bias. This is of no concern to sam as its obviously pressurized. I dont see you doing anything but loosing horsepower with an engine that pulls a VE of 98% stock.
phil
Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
im not exactly sure why people are thinking that the intake plenum is restrictive. I do know that having 2 pipes that are not designed correctly could cause a bias. This is of no concern to sam as its obviously pressurized. I dont see you doing anything but loosing horsepower with an engine that pulls a VE of 98% stock.
phil
Phil,
You have a valid point. Are you willing to put $$$ on my losing power with any intake design that I make up? My Paypal is thomasck@comcast.net. I am sure you are right but I am a curious person and have to test these things out. $5.00 bet! Lets keep it simple.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-12-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:07 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx

Phil,
You have a valid point. Are you willing to put $$$ on my losing power with any intake design that I make up? My Paypal is thomasck@comcast.net. I am sure you are right but I am a curious person and have to test these things out. $5.00 bet! Lets keep it simple.
sure. Double or nthing says my intake design makes more power than yours does.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...0&d=1136698266
Old 02-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
After reading this thread I have one thing to say.

Your stock intake is not restrictive. Everyone can throw around ideas that may seem usfull but the engineers did it right the 1st time around. The MAF is set in the position it should stay in and everything behind it should not change.

Also, Phil. My money is on you. What size SS tubing did u use?

Tom
Old 02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Your stock intake is not restrictive. Everyone can throw around ideas that may seem usfull but the engineers did it right the 1st time around. The MAF is set in the position it should stay in and everything behind it should not change.
+1

unless you are throwing a turbo or supercharger in there, there isn't much to be gained (possibly even a loss with some crazy design).

keep a clean filter in the stock box, and divert the brainstorming elsewhere....

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Also, Phil. My money is on you. What size SS tubing did u use?

Tom
thats my thinking as well. Its 2 1/2, to 3 inch. Then 2 inch velocity stacks if i remmeber correctly.

phil
Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

FYI folks, as most of you would know, the SVX has the same sized airbox as the STI and WRX. I asked a few tuners over on nasioc and clubwrx about the power level you would need to reach before the stock airbox becomes a restriction - I was told 300+whp!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

sounds right to me....

Shifting from the usual "more is better" state of mind to what intake will allow us to flow and keep and resonance through out the band is required when working with our engine. It is extremely efficent, and meticulously worked through. I don't need a dyno plot to tell me you arent going to improve on a 98% VE engine without loosing power someewhere else by modifying the intake.

phil
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
sounds right to me....

Shifting from the usual "more is better" state of mind to what intake will allow us to flow and keep and resonance through out the band is required when working with our engine. It is extremely efficent, and meticulously worked through. I don't need a dyno plot to tell me you arent going to improve on a 98% VE engine without loosing power someewhere else by modifying the intake.

phil
Thanks for the input guys. I need to put my energy into other areas. Your opinions are valued and appreciated.
***R.I.P***
Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Thanks for the input guys. I need to put my energy into other areas. Your opinions are valued and appreciated.
The most thing you can do with the intake right now is to cover it entirely with a thick heat resistant material and a green/cone filter outside the engine bay (in the fender), unless someone comes up with the dual maf/intake setup

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Keep up the good work Kevin, someone has to do the pioneering work "restriction" or not. Someone has to change and experiment on their own car, no matter how much others say its not neccesary, in the 3 years I have been a member here, people went from being negative about the 5-spd, and saying the 4.11/4.44 swap was impractical or impossible to them being well used and commonplace, and not to mention the great work that LAN has done with the ECU and MAF. I needn't even mention what people previously thought was possible with superchargers/turbo setups...so just keep going!! 'Sides you can always return it to stock if you have to!!

-Andrew
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot