How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-09-2005, 02:08 AM
PhillsSvx

What winter tires to buy.........

Ok i have been in alot of heavy snow in my driving years and i use only one tire and nothing else they are the BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK they are so impressive i live on a steep hill and drive a 2004 ford tauras witch is so bad in the snow its not even funny and can never make it up the hill so i just bought a set of BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS-50 for the front and i can go the whole way to the top of tthe hill in 8" inches of snow as i did tonight and a 4WD nissan xterra could not make it to the top so i gave him a ride to the top =) i have 4 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK LM-22's on my svx P225/50/R16 and they are so awsome its crazy with the AWD so that is my tip to you all

but for better and what WRC rally cars use is the BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK ws-50 is what they use in rally here is the link

for the world rally tire use on rally cars BLIZZAK these are the best winter tire made for ICE AND SNOW http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9

for a sporty feel get these BLIZZAK's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0

here is a pic of the WS-50 on my Ford ...YES I PUT RALLY TIRES ON A FORD TARAUS I WANTED GOOD TRACTION
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 016.jpg (142.5 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by PhillsSvx; 12-09-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Good suggestion, but I think you pay a lot for the name. IMO there are plenty of comparable winter radials out there at a much more reasonable price.

I myself have Hankooks, and am very pleased. Most say that Nokian Hakkapeletia(sp?) are the best snow tires on earth. Dunlop makes a good tire as well.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-09-2005, 06:27 AM

Tires

I ran the Blizzaks on a Toyota I had for 2 winters. Sidewalls seem to soft. I put 100 miles a day on my cars just going into work and home and alot of that is on freeway at 65/70 mph.

I am running tires like these now:
http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/t...p.cfm?id=1&w=1

I have the older version, the Hakkapeliitta Q's
I really like these tires. They are still a soft tire but the sidewall seems harder. I dont get the roll anymore and they grab the road great.

Just my 2cents worth guys.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Phil,

A friend of mine has a Nissan 350 ZX. He put Blizzak LM-22s on it. Now that car is good in snow when it was only fair in the rain with the OEM tires.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 AM
PhillsSvx

Yeah i ran those dunlops last year on the svx was not too impresed with them but i wont use anything with studs no for somthing so extreem i would go winterforce to climb a mountain
Old 12-09-2005, 12:02 PM
<<<Alcyone

They're not cheap ($180 each) - I vote for factory studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2's. I double checked the spelling on the tires . . .

I haven't counted but they seem to have more studs on them than any other studded tire I've seen.

I just dropped my wife off at work and tried to do some doughnuts in the icy parking lot, I couldn't do it!

My $.02, that's about all I have left after buying those tires

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillsSvx
so i just bought a set of BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS-50 for the front
I do hope you get another pair for the rear. It's noted everywhere you look that you either run 4 winter tires or none. With winters only on the front your car will tend to fishtail around corners.

I'm using the Dunlop Graspics, they were inexpensive ($75 each) and the traction is awesome when compared to the all-seasons I have on my other rims.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:52 PM
PhillsSvx

i do run 4 winter tires on my ford 2 dunlops sport m3's from last year on the rear and the 2 blizzaks on the front and im good but i can handle a fishtail its harder in FWD expecialy down hill but in the svx i was mad drifting today it was awsome

but thanks for the concern Earthworm

Last edited by PhillsSvx; 12-09-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:55 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I haven't used snow tires yet, but after yesterdays snow storm I think it's time to buy some. Can anyone recommend where I can buy snow tires for cheap on line? Should I get them studed as well?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I haven't used snow tires yet, but after yesterdays snow storm I think it's time to buy some. Can anyone recommend where I can buy snow tires for cheap on line? Should I get them studed as well?

First off, define "cheap"....lol
The 2 sites most people seem to use for tires are tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com, both have good prices, but realize that snows (just like any other tire) can run the gammet of pricing.
As for studed vs non-studed, you might want to check local laws as some states don't allow use of studded tires (some actually will enforce this others won't)
Studded are LOUD on dry/just wet surfaces, they do give better traction on ice, but (Imo) don't really make much difference in snow and with the tech used in non-studed your probably (near) as safe as with studed.
As always though, remember that AWD won't help you stop, nor will it keep you from sliding, just helps you get (and keep) moving.

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 12-10-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 PM

I've always used studded tires and currently have firestone winterfrost on all 4 wheels. They have an aggressive tread and are not that loud on dry roads but are louuder than nonstudded tiiiires. If you get "black ice" then the studs will help you drive and also stop without slipping. They run about $80 a tire and as far as i'm concerned are a good deal. my wife insists on the studs for the added safety. But some states do not allow them and they need to be put on and taken off by specific dates.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I prefer ....

wait...

no...

I have no idea what a snow tire is.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:20 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I prefer ....

wait...

no...

I have no idea what a snow tire is.

Robert...do you even know what snow is living out there in Vegas??

BTW...I'm a Pirelli Fan
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 12-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Green1995SVX

Back when i drove my svx in the winter i used Gislaved Nordfrosts. Fantastic Tire. I'm running them on my Legacy now.

Mike
Old 12-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
Robert...do you even know what snow is living out there in Vegas??

BTW...I'm a Pirelli Fan
It snowed here once in the last 12 years or so where it actually powdered the the yards.

A state of emergency was declared.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)