How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I Feel . . . Violated. (Long)

I got the call around 4:15 today. They said the car was not completely fixed. It still had the flare when the resistor was plugged in, but, if I wanted to drive it with the resistor unplugged, while they “got some of their other work out of the way,” I could come and pick it up. Obviously, I was READY. I told them I’d be there in a few minutes (I’m only five minutes away from the shop).

I left the office and headed straight for the rental car place to turn in the Stratus. After waiting for them to take care of another customer, they tallied my bill. Over 918.00 and change. It would
have been 958.00 and change, but, I got 40.00 off with my AARP card (another advantage to being married to an older woman --- I’m only 46). A nice young lady drove me to the shop.

Upon my arrival, I noticed the car was on the rack and in the air. I walked in and the left front wheel lay on the concrete, under the car. A young tech was looking at the front rotor assy. As I
stood there, the owner came out and saw me. He was frowning. “After I road tested it, I had ‘em put it up on the rack to check things out. I found an axle seal leaking. They’re gonna fix it real quick – they’re looking for another one.” I said “okay” and went into the waiting area. Suddenly, I heard someone pounding. I went out to find the young tech pounding the ****e out of . . . something (Ball Joint?) with a BFH. I couldn’t take it. I went outside and fired up a cigar. I took occasional sideways glances to catch a glimpse of what they were doing. A few minutes later, I saw the fellow pulling the axle and fiddling about. Then, suddenly, there was a “committee.” It’s never a good sign (to my recollection) when four people are looking at the
same place and talking things over. I walked in and went back into the waiting area. One of the guys took . . . something to the back and was gone with it for a while (remember, I’m just
catching glimpses. It looks like they were having trouble getting the seal back out of the diff. At one point, I walked out, and they’d pulled “something” out of the diff and the grease poured out into waiting containers. The committee reconvened and they began trying to put things back together again. Two of the guys split, while two younger ones began looking, and I think I heard
the younger of the two say, “he said I didn’t line the axle up right when I put it in.” This did not instill the greatest of confidence. I went back out. Fired up another cigar. Called the wife on the
cell phone and told her I’d be running late for my daughter’s birthday dinner. I didn’t even try to see what was going on now. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, and, at this point felt
like crying ( but, I didn’t – see post about “fat boy from Kentucky crying”).

I finished my cigar and went back into the waiting area. The temperature was beginning to drop outside. I spoke to a gentleman about the weather, who was waiting to pick up his pickup. We chit chatted for a moment, and I just happened to catch, out of the corner of my eye, the back end of my car as it was being lowered to the ground. Was it done?

As the car touched down, the owner was putting on his jacket. He was going to road test the work. He left for about ten minutes, and came back – leaving the car parked outside. I met him. He said, “it’s doing fine. Just call next week to see when we can get it back in. We’ll double up on it and get it done in a day or so. But, I wanted to get that seal fixed. Don’t want the axle
falling out on you.” I just smiled, a sad smile and thanked him as I took the keys. My stomach was still in a knot. I just wanted to get my car out of there. There was no mention of owing them
anything.

I slid into the seat for the first time in 23 days. I was sad. I began to wonder, “what have I done to you?” I drove back to the office to pack up my laptop and head home. I posted to the
Network (Bittersweet Reunion), shut down my computer, packed up and got back into my car.

I was happy to get it back, but deeply concerned with the experience. On the way home, I noticed that in right hand curves and turns there was a “shake” – “did these guys totally screw up
my axle?” I asked myself. “Am I going to be able to trust her, all the way to Reading?” It wasn’t paranoia. The “shake” definitely wasn’t there when I took it. I suppose I’ll have to have it
realigned now, since they were beating on it with a BFH.

I enjoyed the power I had on the way home (finally rid of the four-banger). It drove smoothly for the most part, but, still, I was feeling melancholy. It was like, I was thinking, “the car will never
be the same.” I hate that feeling. Perhaps tomorrow will bring back some happiness. At least, I’ll be able to clean her up this weekend – if it doesn’t rain all weekend – like they’re predicting.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 02-28-2002 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:58 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

You don't wanna hear what I'm thinking.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 02-28-2002, 11:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
You don't wanna hear what I'm thinking.
You're right. So, stop.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-28-2002, 11:38 PM
Green1995SVX

That post tires me out... I'm gonna go to bed.

-Mike
Old 03-01-2002, 12:06 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Randy,
Do what I do. If it is going to run without anything falling out, don't bring it back till it totally dies on ya. I know it's not a good thing but...

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-01-2002, 05:49 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Remember the other day when we were talking about changing axles? I did mention using a BFH, it's actually better to use one than to use a pickle fork when separating the ball joint stud. A pickle fork will tear the heck outta the ball joint boot which will lead to its early demise. A few good raps with a hammer will break the tapered stud loose.

He may have just put the seal in a bit crooked and needed to replace it, not too bad of a goof up. Sometimes those things happen.

The alignment won't cause a vibration. Save your money there until you're completely satisfied that the tranny work is completed, then have it checked.

Gotta run (work) - Good Luck Bud,

Beav
Old 03-01-2002, 06:48 AM
Lowered SVX

randy.....

that is an exact summation of how i feel after everytime i take my car to any shop. i am never comfortable.....i always feel uneasy and i am always questioning if i made the right decision.

i think working on a car is somewhat like surgery. you dont want to watch because it is going to be messy and somewhat erratic. just wait to see the finished product and then judge what just happened. (weird analogy but i think you see what i mean).

i did not need to read this today though. should be getting my car back today. i pray they did a good job.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-01-2002, 08:14 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Remember the other day when we were talking about changing axles? I did mention using a BFH, it's actually better to use one than to use a pickle fork when separating the ball joint stud. A pickle fork will tear the heck outta the ball joint boot which will lead to its early demise. A few good raps with a hammer will break the tapered stud loose.

He may have just put the seal in a bit crooked and needed to replace it, not too bad of a goof up. Sometimes those things happen.

The alignment won't cause a vibration. Save your money there until you're completely satisfied that the tranny work is completed, then have it checked.

Gotta run (work) - Good Luck Bud,

Beav
Beav,
Coming from you, that sets my mind a little more at ease. I'm familiar with the frugal use of a BFH, but, (and I'm sure it was partly from my state of mind -- thinking I was just going there to drive her out) DAMN!

Things were a little brighter this morning. I told Mike Davis last night that it would "feel" better driving her in the daytime. It did. For some reason, the pronounced "shake" didn't seem to manifest itself today. There was a light shudder on right turns, but not the shake I got last night. I feel there's still something amiss. Perhaps all that time in the air has the struts acting funny. I'd like to get my new struts and rotors on before Reading (my struts are feeling "clunky" though they don't seem to be leaking).

The 2-3 shift is now "abrupt" with the resistor unplugged. I didn't like the harsh shift when I *tried* the resistor mod, but there is definitely no flare now. I'm thinking to myself, "I can live with this." I really don't want to let go of my car for another day, but, I want it back to working perfectly -- what a quandry. It's also VERY difficult for me to see the flashing of the power light on start up (which incidentally is much easier to activate now when driving ).

On the upside, even though they had the battery disconnected (I'm guessing a lot), I didn't have to reprogram my remotes.

Thank you, everyone for living through this with me. It helps alot. And though the "saga" isn't completely over yet, I feel much better when I see her in the driveway instead of the Stratus . . . when I see her in the parking lot, instead of the Stratus. When I sit in her . . . when I drive her . . . when . . . I'm feeling better just talking about it.

"Hey la, hey la, my girlfriend's back!"
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-01-2002, 08:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: randy.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
that is an exact summation of how i feel after everytime i take my car to any shop. i am never comfortable.....i always feel uneasy and i am always questioning if i made the right decision.

i think working on a car is somewhat like surgery. you dont want to watch because it is going to be messy and somewhat erratic. just wait to see the finished product and then judge what just happened. (weird analogy but i think you see what i mean).

i did not need to read this today though. should be getting my car back today. i pray they did a good job.
Leo,
Buenos suerte, mi amigo y, Dios te bendiga.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Upon my arrival, I noticed the car was on the rack and in the air. I walked in and the left front wheel lay on the concrete, under the car. A young tech was looking at the front rotor assy. As I.....
Big question, with the 24+ days they had it, what had they done the rest of the month to the car? (I'm sure you checked the mileage!) Even if the tranny falls out I wouldn't take it back to a shop that sounds as frightening as the one your's was in. I hope everything is working and the shake turns into a minor adjustment at the tire shop (lug nuts?).
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-01-2002, 11:09 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

Big question, with the 24+ days they had it, what had they done the rest of the month to the car? (I'm sure you checked the mileage!) Even if the tranny falls out I wouldn't take it back to a shop that sounds as frightening as the one your's was in. I hope everything is working and the shake turns into a minor adjustment at the tire shop (lug nuts?).
Thanks, "Unc." I'm due for a rotation. I'll be taking it in for that in a week or so. Hopefully the shakiness will leave after that.

Tor the first two weeks they had my car, they were "diagnosing." They had it hooked up to pressure taps to keep up with pressure. They A) Replaced gaskets in the valve body -- once they removed the pan to check for friction material, they noticed a "loose bolt" which they said could've caused a gasket to blow, so, they tightened the bolt and re-did the gaskets. No results. B) Replaced the solenoid pack -- they had determined that the solenoid pack had gone south although it was a new one, salvaged from my Legacy tranny rebuild (they had rewired for the Legacy and had to Re-rewire for the SVX). The solenoid pack change didn't work either. C) Begain to check the TPS and Dropping Resistor. They determined that they were both good. That's when they finally decided that the problem was internal and pulled the trans, and re-did some stuff (what, I don't know).
After "fixing" whatever it was in the internals, they put it back in and found the flare was still there -- until after they uplugged the dropping resistor.

So, there it is, in a nutshell.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-01-2002, 11:28 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Sheeeesh!
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:30 AM
Lowered SVX

randy.

my wife speaks spanish. not me. i understand a little but not to that extent. lets stick with english amigo.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-01-2002, 11:32 AM

Registered SVX
Re: randy.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
my wife speaks spanish. not me. i understand a little but not to that extent. lets stick with english amigo.
Basically, "Good luck and God bless."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Lowered SVX

well.......

it is supposed to be finished by 2:30 this afternoon. they replaced one of the tranny seals that was causing the leak. he told me that the cv axle housing was destroyed. he thinks it may be due in part to the change in axle angle created by me lowering the car. who knows?!

i will keep close watch on this axle once it is replaced. if it goes out again in less than a year i may raise the car half of an inch or maybe even a full inch. really dont want to but may have no choice.
"Too much fun to drive!"