SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
pnyklr

getting car ready for winter ....need some help

Car update

Have the driveshaft

Got a fender ... looking for another (Fed Ex damaged it) hopefully get it on saturday

Getting a rear diff and another complete driveshaft to play it safe
when I go back to work its getting all put together

Also getting a set of front seats since my passenger one split

Should have all parts by next week (since its starting to get snow in Pennsylvania)

Is there anything else that could be bad besides the rear diff why they would take out the driveshaft?

I dont know if stripe will work well in a foot of snow (the POSVX is low but hopefully soon it will be AWD)
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

I'm not up on the complete background on this, and probably missed some of your posts. But I just started wondering if maybe someone just removed the driveshaft so they could tow the car.

I humbly bow out if this has already been raised.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm still guessing that the bastards pulled the shaft because the center diff was binding.
There is also a selanoid in the trans that can cause the center diff to bind (C??). Either one can be fixed without replacing the trans, but you may want to start to do some research on them.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
pnyklr

Is there something else I need to get from the parts car besides the rear diff and the driveshaft (I think the drive shaft on that car is one piece)
Old 10-25-2005, 07:21 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'm still guessing that the bastards pulled the shaft because the center diff was binding.
There is also a selanoid in the trans that can cause the center diff to bind (C??). Either one can be fixed without replacing the trans, but you may want to start to do some research on them.
Yes, Duty Solenoid C being weird causes the infamous torque bind. This is easily an $800 job to get fixed. If let alone, this can ruin the rear dif, and it would cause them to pull the shaft.

I also believe the drive shaft is 2 pieces...it is on my legacy.

I'd also suggest you check the play with the U Joints on the shaft..not a good thing to be going down the road and the joint seize...
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 PM
pnyklr

well at the least I am going to get the extra driveshaft and the rear differential and hope for the best

should I also try to get the center differential or is that part of the driveshaft or a separate piece
Old 10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
pnyklr

I hope to have the AWD functioning correctly ASAP as Stripe isnt going to be good in the winter

and while it is fun to hit 15 -20 lbs of boost sideways in the snow in the GN I think I'll try to avoid any more exposure to the snow of the Buick
Old 10-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Yes, Duty Solenoid C being weird causes the infamous torque bind. This is easily an $800 job to get fixed. If let alone, this can ruin the rear dif, and it would cause them to pull the shaft.

I also believe the drive shaft is 2 pieces...it is on my legacy.

I'd also suggest you check the play with the U Joints on the shaft..not a good thing to be going down the road and the joint seize...

Why is selenoid C so expensive to repair? Looking in the manual, it looks accessable just by dropping the pan. Is the manual misleading and this is a "transmission pull" type job?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Actually you must remove the AWD "extension"...not just the pan.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 PM
pnyklr

picked up the spare set of front seats today as well as a rear diff and the one piece driveshaft

Didnt get the center piece he was rebuilding his tranny and I guess needed it

I wasnt paying attention when he showed it to me (2 hour ride and I was tired and hungry)