Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Midwest Region

Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Jaundice76

what kind of tranny cooler would you guys reccomend getting?
i know the svx has tranny problems and i was wondering waht kind would be the best for cooling the mofo down hahaha
Old 10-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaundice76
what kind of tranny cooler would you guys reccomend getting?
i know the svx has tranny problems and i was wondering waht kind would be the best for cooling the mofo down hahaha
i'm using a hayden i got from advanceautoparts for 30 bucks. it's only a 3 pass but it seems to get the job done as the car goes much farther now on the highway before the torque converter will lock up(the converter won't lock up on the svx till the fluid is like 150 degrees or something around there)i couldn't beat it for the price and anything is better than nothing. summit racing has a good selection too. they have a pretty big flex-a-lite cooler for like 45 bucks or so. hope i helped a little. Jason
Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I think the brand everyone likes the most is made by B&M....forgot the p/n, but that's like the most searched item in the SVX network besides transmissions and tires.
I will get a perma-cool filter too and I would like a digital readout...hopefully Dakota Digital will work. I plan on installing it under the lid on the ashtray..
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
I may be making an appointment to cascade subaru sometime in the near future when I have more money.....my next step is to buy a tranny cooler....I might also take a trip to summit racing and pic that up.
This was out on rt. 303 on my way to brunswick subaru last month.
Why do you want to go to Cascade instead of back to Brunswick???
I took my SVX to Cascade ONCE and it will never ever go back there, nor will my wifes Outback. Had them do the 120k service (same as the 60k), as well as the waterpump. Took forever to get done, was told it was ready and running like a top......Went to pick it up and it wouldn't even start.
Picked it up the next day, and it would stall out when cold, turns out they f'd up putting the vacuum lines on. They lost the clips for the engine cover, and when I bizitched, I managed to get one out of them, but am still short one. The car is also louder when idiling and runs rougher,and is getting slightly lower gas mileage then it was before they "worked" on it.....and there were one or two other minor things I didn't like, not counting the attitude of the people there......Stellar dealer my azz.........
For dealer service I'll either go to Brunswick (who Alanscouse has had good luck with) or try K.O., other then that, if I can't (or don't want to) do the work myself, I'll find an independent mech to work on it.

But back to the topic at hand, if there a get together that my work schedule will allow me to attend, I'll more n likely be there!
As for a tranny cooler, I went with the big flexalite (don't recall the # off the top of my head but could find it if anyone wants)

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 10-18-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Where the heck is Millington?

I was born in Ohio - Your rear wheels are on backwards
1997 LSi, Brilliant Red, 62K, #204
1999 Outback Limited, Black, 182K
US Navy Retired (CWO3)
Old 10-19-2005, 04:45 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
Why do you want to go to Cascade instead of back to Brunswick???
I took my SVX to Cascade ONCE and it will never ever go back there, nor will my wifes Outback. Had them do the 120k service (same as the 60k), as well as the waterpump. Took forever to get done, was told it was ready and running like a top......Went to pick it up and it wouldn't even start.
Picked it up the next day, and it would stall out when cold, turns out they f'd up putting the vacuum lines on. They lost the clips for the engine cover, and when I bizitched, I managed to get one out of them, but am still short one. The car is also louder when idiling and runs rougher,and is getting slightly lower gas mileage then it was before they "worked" on it.....and there were one or two other minor things I didn't like, not counting the attitude of the people there......Stellar dealer my azz.........
For dealer service I'll either go to Brunswick (who Alanscouse has had good luck with) or try K.O., other then that, if I can't (or don't want to) do the work myself, I'll find an independent mech to work on it.

But back to the topic at hand, if there a get together that my work schedule will allow me to attend, I'll more n likely be there!
As for a tranny cooler, I went with the big flexalite (don't recall the # off the top of my head but could find it if anyone wants)
Because it took Brunswick (2 months) to get my car in and serviced after I had all complete details, parts lists, etc. ready immediately. Too much turnover with parts and service.....always someone new there, they lost my paperwork over and over and no one ever called me back when they said they would. I'd wait for weeks before I heard anything....just very frustrating especially when I was a brand new customer about to pay them over 1500 in business. Plus it was a long drive for me to go there.....a good 40 minutes.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM

I can understand your frustration with the time it took, however considering the age of the SVX parts aren't as quick to come by (granted it shouldn't have taken it as long as it did, but still)
Over all once the job was done, were you satisfied with the quality of the work?

If you do take it to Cascade, I hope you have better luck with them then I did, like I said, I will NEVER take any car back to them, nor would I deal with them were I to buy a new Subie.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:32 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
I can understand your frustration with the time it took, however considering the age of the SVX parts aren't as quick to come by (granted it shouldn't have taken it as long as it did, but still)
Over all once the job was done, were you satisfied with the quality of the work?

If you do take it to Cascade, I hope you have better luck with them then I did, like I said, I will NEVER take any car back to them, nor would I deal with them were I to buy a new Subie.
Nope, parts didn't take long to get in after ordered........It took them almost 2 months TO ORDER THEM and get their sh*t together.
Kinda satisfied because I couldn't do the work, but pissed because I got home and the engine was dripping oil at a fast pace. I spent half the night cleaning the bottom of the car down looking for extra leeks......not to mention the mechanic didn't tighten the oil plug and my driveway is spotty with oil.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM

Sounds like the same jackhole worked on mine at Cascade!......LOL
Have you thought about going to Ellicott Shaker for work?, would be in the Cleveland area, so might even be close to you then Azzcade.......
Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Ellacott Shaker is the closest one to me, but the whole reason I have driven distances to get the car fixed was to get the work done for cheaper labor rates. Brunswick was at $65.00/hour and Ellacott is at $87.00/hour. I believe Ganley Subaru in Willowick is at $95.00/hour. The farther south I go, the cheaper it gets...at least from what I found.

Do you know the labor rates at A$$cade (which I probably won't go to) and K.O. Subaru? Oh, and I'm not sure what the rates are at Ganley Subaru of Lakewood either....I've never had work done at any of these.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill
I was born in Ohio - Your rear wheels are on backwards
Are you talking about mine?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Do you know the labor rates at A$$cade (which I probably won't go to) and K.O. Subaru? Oh, and I'm not sure what the rates are at Ganley Subaru of Lakewood either....I've never had work done at any of these.
I don't know what K.O. charges, but iirc (I'll have to dig out the service record to be sure) Cade's was around $75hr

Not sure what it is you need done, but you might also consider an indepenent shop, there are 2 in cuyahoga falls that specialize in foreign cars and list subaru's as one of the ones they specialize in. Don't remember then names of either one, but could find em if you want. I figure I'll try one (or both) of em' at some point for minor work and see how good they are.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Are you talking about mine?
MrBill was talking about Jaundice76's rear wheels not yours......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: