Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorG0d
My own personal observations of driveline extensions: unless you're a damn good welder, I wouldn't try. I'd rather spend $100 to have it professionally lengthened and balanced than $250 or so for a new driveline, however much for a new rear diff, etc.

Of course, I don't know you, so I may be sorely underestimating your skills. If I am, I apologize, I don't mean to be insulting.

Godspeed
Thanks for the concern. The rear was easy and as far as the driveshaft goes I'm still deciding whether to fabricate a spacer and move the center bearing up or cut and weld a spacer in myself. I'm not worried about the professional part, because I have access to the same (if not more) equipment than a professional shop and I have a couple of engineers to help me out. My uncle up the street owns a shop called ICE. They manufacture cold heads and cryogenic cooling systems for MRI magnets and a couple of the tools I have access to include a CNC router, full size lathe and milling machine. Not to mention all the tools I have in my own shop. It's ok, your not the first one to doubt that I could do this, I was getting the same feeling from tomssvx, or maybe he's just upset that he won't be the only 5spd around town anymore Can't wait to compare our cars after I'm done. And besides, with this forum and walkthroughs from SVXfiles and Huck the swap is a breeze. I'm just waiting on my subaru dealer for flywheel bolts, then I'll finish it up. I cannot stress how much the right tools make a difference. Without a tranny jack and a 34" long jack this job would be 200 times as difficult. Anyways, I appriciate all the help you guys are giving me, especially SVXfiles for putting up with my calls. Tomorrow I'm going to extend the threads on the brake booster and cut it. I'll post some measurements afterwards. Huck's guide is good but it has a lot of holes, and I think an update is in order especially for those trying to install a hydraulic clutch. I'll see if I can make an update after I'm done with my swap. Anyway, enough rambling, I have to go to work.

Cheers,
John

PS: At 18, am I the youngest to do the swap?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
John, why don't you take the easy way out and buy and outback driveshaft and mill the 3/8" off the cup?? That would make perfect sense instead of trying to lengthen the stock one. I am sure Cramer has something there

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
John, why don't you take the easy way out and buy and outback driveshaft and mill the 3/8" off the cup?? That would make perfect sense instead of trying to lengthen the stock one. I am sure Cramer has something there

Tom
Which outback shaft fits? I'll go junkyard hopping thursday, have to hit mays landing for those flywheel bolts anyway and pro is down there
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Maniac modifier

You are looking for a 95-99 legacy or legacy outback driveshaft for a 5mt. Seems to be a good fit with a little modification... thats what I have on order right now.

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
You are looking for a 95-99 legacy or legacy outback driveshaft for a 5mt. Seems to be a good fit with a little modification... thats what I have on order right now.

Tom
If it gets in before thursday gimme a call and tell me how well it fits up. That'd be the easiest route, I didn't know there was another suby driveshaft that bolted up. Good luck sorting out your vibration problems man, if you need a hand gimme a call, I'll be around tomorrow before 3 and after 8, after that I'm off till sunday. Feel free to stop down here and check out the scene too, if you want you could swap your driveshaft down here.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Maniac modifier

with any luck, I will get it today in the mail. Should have been here yesterday but u know how that goes. I am also waiting on my new wheels. I will be ordering my konis within the week and Mychailo is working on my springs now

Tom
Old 07-30-2005, 07:08 PM

MY CAR HAS 3 PEDALS

Bolted up tranny, mounted clutch master, have to do shifter linkage, crossmember, and driveshaft then reassemble and figure out where the bolts go and I'll be done
Old 07-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Woo Hoo! Congratulations

Todd
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM

Almost done, just have to finish up the crossmember, figure out what the hell I'm going to do with my exhaust, and reassemble.

I need more info on what to do with the wiring. Where do I wire up the reverse lights and cruise wires? What's the most current way to bypass the neutral safety switch? Whats the box behind the shifter for? What other mods, besides the torque control, do I have to do for the car to function properly? What do I do to avoid getting my key stuck in the ignition?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I hope you've resolved these issues by now. A lot of the answers to these questions are answered in Huck's 5 spd howto. I used this in addition to the Smallcar instructions to do the wiring in my SVX.