Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 08:28 PM
SEA Sleeper

Firmer Shifts from removing resistor

I was doing a little reasearch on available aftermarket performance parts in my area and I stumbled upon this "shift kit" mod.

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/tsk.htm

Basically, if I understand this correctly, by removing this resistor located next to the battery you cause the transmission line pressure to stay constant and result in firmer shifts.

Has anyone purchased and or tried this?
Any speculations?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

It's a popular mod. Only downside is that if you drive with your gear selector in '3' or '2', downshifts become really harsh. If you keep it in 'D' there still nice and buttery smooth though...

I did this mod on my car shortly after I got it in late April:

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Mine shifts way too slow otherwise flare included. Mine stays disconnected till I can afford to join the 5 or 6 MT club
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 10-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
It's a popular mod. Only downside is that if you drive with your gear selector in '3' or '2', downshifts become really harsh. If you keep it in 'D' there still nice and buttery smooth though...
that's why the smallcar shift kit was created. it works good.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-16-2004, 01:24 PM
JDM_SVX_Strider

I've removed the resistor on my car as well. I love it! The shifts are far more quicker, making you feel a nice little lunge. This definitely helps keep the tranny temp down and reduces wear and tear, since there's less transition time. Later, I installed the shift kit from smallcar. It is very nice for lower speeds, which unfortunately is most of my driving.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
As I never drive in '3' or '2', the $50 shift kit is useless to me...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:

You could even say it works well.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

As I never drive in '3' or '2', the $50 shift kit is useless to me...

-Chike
the shiftkit has the benefit of reducing the gear hunting on decelleration (don't know if that's a problem with the resistor disco or not, never tried just a straight disco.)

i drive in '3' alot in the summer around town if i'm not going above 55mph. it seems to hold the gears longer, and that's one less gear the tranny has to shift to (and create heat.)

Old 10-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

You could even say it works well.
don't be correctin' my engrish n'at, you jagoff.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:

the shiftkit has the benefit of reducing the gear hunting on decelleration (don't know if that's a problem with the resistor disco or not, never tried just a straight disco.)
Thats what Happened to me when I did a full Disco, Granted, in D, the shifts are great! However the shifts felt alittle TOO firm... and with me still having an Original Tranny, it bothered me...

Then I was driving downtown, shifted into 3rd... and It wouldnt find 2nd for the life of it... I parked, reconnected, and no more problems in 3rd.

I have REALY been thinking of grabing the Small Car shift kit just to make the shifts firmer without the gear hunting of the Resistor Disconnect.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 10-17-2004, 05:25 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by nsm484
Thats what Happened to me when I did a full Disco, Granted, in D, the shifts are great! However the shifts felt alittle TOO firm... and with me still having an Original Tranny, it bothered me...
that's what is nice about the smallcar kit - the firmness is adjustable - make them as hard as you like. my tranny shifted buttery smooth before i installed it which was cool, but that smoothness means.....HEAT!

Old 10-18-2004, 02:09 AM
SEA Sleeper

Lightbulb

Quote:

that's what is nice about the smallcar kit - the firmness is adjustable -
Over the past weekend I actually had the opportunity to drive an SVX w/ the SmallCar shift kit installed. I can agree w/ the owner of that car that I drove very recently and nsm484 that mentioned that it made the shifts allmost too firm. While driving the equipped car Saturday RPM's would climb and then when you reach the expected shift point you get a sudden *CLUNK* accompanied by a lunge. I liked the lunge but the clunk was equaly concerning.

If the kit from smallcar is adjustable I would be sold on it as I would not want any type of "funny business" such as gear hunting. The ability to control how firm between a little stiffer than w/o to very firm for aggressive driving would be a major benifit in my eyes.

However I am skeptical on how it is adjusted. Is this an on or off type of thing or is it variable?

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 10-18-2004 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:23 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper

Over the past weekend I actually had the opportunity to drive an SVX w/ the SmallCar shift kit installed. I can agree w/ the owner of that car that I drove very recently and nsm484 that mentioned that it made the shifts allmost too firm. While driving the equipped car Saturday RPM's would climb and then when you reach the expected shift point you get a sudden *CLUNK* accompanied by a lunge. I liked the lunge but the clunk was equaly concerning.

If the kit from smallcar is adjustable I would be sold on it as I would not want any type of "funny business" such as gear hunting. The ability to control how firm between a little stiffer than w/o to very firm for aggressive driving would be a major benifit in my eyes.

However I am skeptical on how it is adjusted. Is this an on or off type of thing or is it variable?
It acts as a solenoid. The adjustment that everyone is speaking of is based on manifold vacuum. You can make the shift kit sensitive or insensitive to the manifold vacuum by adjusting a small hex-type (or allan-type) screw inside the kit. If the pressure is correct (based on the setting of the screw), the kit will allow the resistor to perform it's function (softening the shift). If the pressure is not correct, the kit will disengage the resistor (thus quickening the shift).

I have one installed, and it truly does eliminate the gear hunting at low speeds. If I press on the gas enough and the kit quickens the shifting, I will get a little bit of a clunk as well. I'm coming to understand that this is not the work of the kit, but most likely a failing tranny mount.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:26 PM
SEA Sleeper

Lightbulb Thread revival!

Out of concern of voiding the warranty I recieved for my tranny rebuild, I chose to just try the straight disconnect.

I unplugged the resistor yesterday morning and drove the car around all day enjoying lagless firmer shifting. I must say that I was pleased w/ the results of this mod and I found the shifts not to be too firm for my liking.

However, this morning and since when I turn on the car I am getting a tanny fault indication w/ the POWER light blinking 16 times. I do know that this is related to the tranny and how to pull codes using self diagnostics, but I would like to know if anyone else that has gone w/ the straight disconnect method also gets the blinking POWER light on start up.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:39 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
That happens to me too. I didnt know that it indicated tranny fault. Now im getting scared...