Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-12-2004, 04:12 AM
ThetaReactor

<sigh> Too much drama...but it's worth it.

Two weeks ago, I'd never heard of the SVX.

One week ago, I went and bought one.

Three days later, it all hit the fan.

See, I'd been looking for a car for three or four weeks. I'd been looking for a reasonably sporty, kinda small import. Something I could have a bit of fun with, but wouldn't absolutely murder me on insurance. I was looking at the Nissan 240SX, the VW Corrado, that sort of thing [I'm not a big fan of FWD...]. Anyhow, somebody mentioned the SVX in a review of another car, and I d it to see what the car was.

As I'm sure you can relate, I fell in love at first sight. I popped it in Autotrader and found a black 92, about 40 miles north of here. Despite my mom's pleas that I look at something closer first, I held out, knowing that I wouldn't be able to live with the 'what if' if I bought something else. It took a few days to get around work schedules and find someone to go with me, and I spent several hours at this fine forum, soaking up all the information I could.

Last monday, I drove up there to see the car. I instantly spotted her in the dealer's lot, and performed a cursory inspection. Shiny and black, and the body is in nearly perfect shape. A scratch by the spoiler and a chip or two on the hood. The car's wearing 17" alloys with 45 series tires. I'm impressed. I open the door and sit in the first [and only] SVX I've ever seen, and grin like an idiot as I play with the door over the stereo. I pop the hood and find that it won't stay up. I figure the struts'll be cheap to replace, so it's no big deal [oops.]. ATF fluid smells like it should, oil has recently been changed. No add-on tranny cooler is apparent. We close her back up, go inside, and get the keys.

The test drive is fantastic. Shifts smooth, handles great. There's something like loud tire noise coming from the back, but nothing else seems amiss. I play with the sunroof.

I inquire as to the $5900 price on the windshield. This is the financed price, I'm told. Cash is $3900. This is agreeable. They take the car to renew emissions and put ten bucks in the tank. I drive home grinning like an idiot and drawing stares from slackjawed Civic drivers.

Day 2. We drop the car off at a trusted mechanic for a general checkup. Under Georgia law, we still have the right to void the purchase contract within three days, and I wanna make sure nothing's seriously screwed up. I get home from work in the evening, mom says that everyone there is impressed by the car and they say I got a great deal. I am pleased. She says they wanna keep the car overnight. I am not pleased.

Day 3. I work again. I get home, the car is in the carport. I gently pat my new baby, promise her a wash, and go inside. "We need to talk," my mom says.

Cue total meltdown.

Seems there's an oil leak. The mechanic got under the car with the UV lights and says it's got leaks everywhere. "Valve and timing covers?", I guess. "Well, yeah, he mighta said something about valve covers." The front sway bar bushings are pretty much gone, too. Mechanic now says that the car's been driven hard, that I'll be seeing really expensive repairs soon. He hears that I had to borrow money to buy it, and reportedly says something about "If you can't afford to buy a car, you can't afford to maintain it." [Note to self: Tell mechanic to mind his own effin' business...] Mom has panicked, and pretends to tell me that I have to decide whether to keep the car or not while really telling me that the car is going back in the morning. Much shouting ensues. I tell her that they're notorious for leaking, and that it's no indication of abuse. I say that the oil would destroy the bushings, too. And besides, an oil leak isn't gonna kill the car. It's not gonna strand me in the bad section of town where I'll quickly be mugged, robbed, and/or killed. She continues spouting the BS this mechanic has given her. I ask why she trusts his word over mine. Yeah, sure, he's a mechanic. A general mechanic. Ask that old bastard about the wheel bearings! I've spent probably twenty hours over the last few days researching everything that goes wrong with these cars. I walk out the door, to give myself some time to think and to prevent any holes in the walls...

I get in my SVX and put the key in the ignition, and here comes mom out the door after me. "You can't go driving that thing if we're gonna take it back in the morning!" I get out, shut the door, and start walking. I go to the nearest supermarket, sit down at a table outside.

I can't go back now. Can't give the car up. I'll buy another car and keep comparing it to the Subaru. I'll keep looking. I'll be miserable.

I go home and head straight to my room. I hop online and start looking up the parts I'll need. Mom bursts in and tells me I need to go to sleep, that I'll have to get up early to take the car back [it's probably 1am by now]. More cursing ensues. I question why she ever asked me if she'd already made up her mind. I tell her rather nicely that if she has nothing constructive to say I would like her to leave me alone. She storms out, only to return perhaps ten seconds later. "That's a really crappy thing to say, you know."

So now I'm the bad guy. I'm the asshole because I'm trying to solve a problem and I ask her to stop screaming at me. Ugh...

She finally leaves. I get to sleep around 4. 7:30 comes, I'm dragged out of bed. Now my dad's awake, he tells me what the mechanic told him [a slightly different version, of course]. Mom chimes in, "see, your dad agrees."

Like hell he does. He's willing to listen to reason.

So I put my foot down. "I'm keeping the car. I don't think you realize what I'm willing to go through to make this car perfect."

I promptly go back to bed and sleep until about 2pm.

And now it seems as if everything's gonna be alright. Mom's accepted my decision, and it seems that some of my logic finally made it through. I'm looking for parts, I'm reading up on the work involved. Heck, I've torn down a Type IV Volkswagen/Porsche boxer engine, and I've helped with suspension upgrades. I'll manage.

So lemme thank you all for this most excellent community. I'm glad I've got a car that can inspire such passion in its owners. I hope I'll stick around for a good long time.

An extra thanks to any of you crazy enough to read all this, too
Old 10-12-2004, 04:41 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

Wow, your mom's a real drama queen. Kudos for sticking to your guns.

Get a tranny cooler, the other things you mentioned are not too difficult to fix and welcome aboard.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Superbeast

Well if there's one trick to keeping these cars it's compleat bull headedness to logic and reason, so you should be all set. Welcome to the site.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

My parents didn't call me Jughead for nothin...

more seriouly though congrats welcome and well good luck continueing to finances after purchase of the car
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

This car definitley has something about it that sucks all the owners in. It puts you in some kinda trance that you never seem to get out of.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Well if there's one trick to keeping these cars it's compleat bull headedness to logic and reason, so you should be all set.
Amen to that. Once you're smitten, it's all over.

Sunday morning, I totaled every penny I've spent on my SVX since I bought it last November. Purchase price, tag/tax/whatnot, radiator, AC upgrade, wheel bearings, hood and trunk struts, PS hose, timing belt, seals and related "might as well" items, antenna mast, window switch, tire balancing and rotation, used OEM CD player, speakers, motor oil, ATF and cooler, filters, intake cover pins, belly pan bolts, light bulbs... essentially everything except appearance care items. Total: Under $5500, and nearly $700 of that was labor paid for stuff I was too lazy and/or unqualified to tackle. Honestly, only the radiator and one of the wheel bearings were "musts," and the dealer threw-in new parts with the sale. Everything else I'd categorize as either restoration or preventative maintenance.

Then I perused the breathtaking new car prices in the morning paper's ads and went out to behold that rare beauty parked in my garage. I got a deal.

Good to know of another Georgia SVX. Welcome.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 10-12-2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:46 AM
RASchemel

you said you heard a loud noise from the rear? you may want to check your bearings the seals for them could be going out, they did on my 92. other than that welcome aboard mate.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:30 AM
BoondockSVX

They all seep a bit from the valve covers, and it isn't a big deal at all. As for the swaybar bushings, you can get energy suspensions 18mm swaybar bushings for about $15. Tell your mom to get some prozac.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Re: <sigh> Too much drama...but it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaReactor
Two weeks ago, I'd never heard of the SVX.

...cut...

An extra thanks to any of you crazy enough to read all this, too

Ya mean thats not normal??? No wonder I grew up effed up
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Honestly, I'd listen to your parents. The first time I read 'mom' or 'dad' in a post like this, I immediately think the same thing:

'Not worth it.'

As much as I love my SVX (and I love it dearly), it's not a great first car. I don't know how old you are, but I get the impression that this is your first car or close to it.

I agree with your mechanic and your parents - it's unlikely you're going to be able to afford to take care of the car. I don't agree that oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets or timing covers is a serious issue, but it's something that needs to be taken care of eventually.

Again, I love the SVX, but it's just a car. It's not worth 'sticking to your guns' and fighting with your parents over it. This is an expensive car to own, and the first time a repair bill comes in, they're going to be right. And make no mistake - an expensive repair bill is going to come in.

My advice is to find something cheaper to own. I speak from experience - I don't even drive my SVX more than a couple thousand miles a year because it's expensive to. Not admitting so means you're not taking good care of the car, in my opinion.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Honestly, I'd listen to your parents. The first time I read 'mom' or 'dad' in a post like this, I immediately think the same thing:

'Not worth it.'

As much as I love my SVX (and I love it dearly), it's not a great first car. I don't know how old you are, but I get the impression that this is your first car or close to it.

I agree with your mechanic and your parents - it's unlikely you're going to be able to afford to take care of the car. I don't agree that oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets or timing covers is a serious issue, but it's something that needs to be taken care of eventually.

Again, I love the SVX, but it's just a car. It's not worth 'sticking to your guns' and fighting with your parents over it. This is an expensive car to own, and the first time a repair bill comes in, they're going to be right. And make no mistake - an expensive repair bill is going to come in.

My advice is to find something cheaper to own. I speak from experience - I don't even drive my SVX more than a couple thousand miles a year because it's expensive to. Not admitting so means you're not taking good care of the car, in my opinion.

That was very well put, and I agree wholeheartedly. This is a unique car with a deceptive price tag. Sure, right now you can buy one for 1500.00 (or 3900 in your case) somewhere, but, with the rear bearings going, a bad front end, and at least a replacement of the main gaskets, you are in for a long very expensive road unless you can do the work yourself.
Have you measured your insurance? Some insurance companies have pretty high rates for teens driving (what my company now calls) an exotic sports car. I know that it's a joy to own and drive (especially drive!!!) but so is a Diablo or Countach… And while not a Porsche or Lamborghini it still may be more of a financial burden than it's worth to you right now.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but if you read some of the old posts on maintenance you might rethink your position with mom and dad.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
As much as I love my car and I am sure you love yours, I agree with Pockets. The SVX was sorta my first car, got it when I was 17. I have been able to afford the upkeep on this car only because I have been lucky enough to get good jobs. It is not an easy car to take care of. There are finicky repairs such as wheel bearings that will cost a lot of money if done right.

The SVX is fairly reliable, but when it breaks, even if it is minor, it is expensive. The problems you have mentioned don't seem very major and most of them don't need immediate attention, but somewhere along the line you are going to have to pay for the upkeep on this 13 year old car. Parts will become more scarce as well as more expensive.

I would suggest buying something a little easier handle and keep the dream of owning an SVX. At some point you will be able to afford a great low miles car in pristine condition.

I am a marked example of a hypocrit as I intend to sell my SVX and buy an even more high maintenence, older vehicle. If you like the vehicle enough to take all the headaches that go along with it, by all means, keep it. You will truly love the car. If you can't afford it, and can't afford to repair it, don't buy it. You will only regret it and probably sell it for less that you paid for it in the next year.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Paxton71

SVX family crisis

Car shouldn't come before family if it is that much of a big deal, then forget about it. it is just a car. You Mom just doesn't want you to get ripped off. (I was lucky, my Mom let me drive junk-until it caught on fire.)

After saying that, all SVXi you find are going to need work.

Wheel bearings? Yeah. They go out ant they are not cheap/a pain.
Leaks? Yeah, most SVX leak from vavle covers
swaybar bushings? Yep, they are all like that under leaky SVXi.

Can you delay maintenance? yes. The beauty of delaying maintenance is that the longer you go, the more spectacular the failure!

Is it unsafe to leak and have loud wheel bearings, and trashed out swaybars? Not really. Only the wheel bearings are going to leave you on the side of the road with a big tow/repair bill.

I guess it could leak enough to catch fire. Get an $11 fire extinguisher and put 'er in the trunk. Sway bar bushings are cheap and would make a dandy "My first SVX repair."

The SVX is a high maintenance machine. No doubt about it. If you can't do the work yourself it will be VERY expensive to own.

With the help of the people here, you can save a lot of dough and learn from others instead of learning it firsthand, underneath the car.

Welcome.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:02 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

A little off topic, but why are wheel bearings considered such an expensive repair?

I just did the front bearings on my WRX:

bearings: $100
seals: $30
machine shop labor to press bearings: $65

All I had to do was pull off the hub assemblies myself and bring 'em to the shop.

Granted $200 isn't "cheap" (plus I actually ruined one of my hubs because I put 150 track miles on a bad bearing ) but it's the kind of money you can save up and set aside for the inevitable.

Are rear SVX bearings much different/expensive than front WRX bearings?

I figure that an SVX that driven kindly will eventually require repairs, but not the kind of repairs that you can't see coming and save up some money for before the car will leave you stranded. I bought my SVX to use as a daily driver because I don't want to put miles on the WRX (not to mention the WRX is barely driveable on the street these days).
Old 10-12-2004, 11:36 AM

I paid right about $100 for an aftermarket SVX bearing/seal set, some 13,000 miles back.

If by this time next year I've spent another few grand on my car... um, well... then I'll go along with the crowd. And y'all can remind me of this and give me hell. 'Till then, I contend that the ongoing upkeep of a well-maintained SVX (in the hands of a reasonably well-mannered operator) should cost no more (okay, little more) than any car of similar market value and vintage. When all's said and done, it's still a Subaru.

That said, I heartily agree that an SVX may be a poor choice as a first car. But then, I'm a grandfather; having taught a teenager to drive (and being young enough to vividly remember my own foolishness), my thinking is an first car should have about 65 horsepower.

dcb