SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Two different suggested list prices for parts?

I would like an answer to this question and would appreciate any input from parts people or dealer service people on the network.

I went to my Subaru dealer (Russel Subaru in Catonsville) today to get an O@ sensor replaced. For background on this see this thread

While the service department was installing the sensor, I looked up the part on subaruparts.com. It said that the list price was $149.95. When I got my car back and went to pay the bill, the part was listed as costing $188.94. I went to the guy at the parts counter and had him look up the sensor. He said it listed at 149.95, same as subaruparts. Has anyone ever heard of this?

If I ask for a part at the parts counter, the guy looks it up and goes back to the parts bin, gets it, and brings it to me and, in this case, I give him 149.95. If the mechanic in service asks for the same part, the same guy goes to the same parts bin, gets it and brings it to the mechanic to install and the price jumps to $188.95!

It seems that if this is the case I will let service diagnose my problem, tell me the parts I need and then I say "wait a moment while I get my parts from the parts counter". Then I just have to pay for the straight labor charges, using customer-supplied factory parts.

If any parts people, service people or dealer reps are out there please comment on this if you have any information. List price should be established by Subaru and be the same for all dealerships, just like a MSRP for vehicles. Discounting from list is one thing, but a parts MARKUP over list is quite another matter.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 PM

My local subie dealer has 15% markup over MSRP on parts they sell over the counter. They never have anything in stock, they can't get parts faster than I can get by ordering from subaruparts.com, they do not get any of my business.
I don't even know what they charge for parts they install (and I hope I never will).

I don't think there is a rule that forbids them charging more than MSRP.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 AM

parts

here is a quick explination. SOA "leases" the subaru name for each dealership. lets say john jones whats to open a subaru dealership. he pays some money to subaru for the name and then he gets certain rights to sell and he gets SOA training for his mechanics. in doing this he gets parts at "dealer price". he can sell the parts and service for whatever he wants then. SOA doesn't control the price of parts he sells. I'm sure in your case they either made a mistake or jus tried to make a little more$$ on the bill.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:44 AM

The moral of this story is: Never take your car to any dealership for service unless absolutely, positively necessary. For work you can't or don't wish to perform yourself, ask around and find an honest, skilled, independent mechanic. And, get quotes on parts and labor, along with a promised completion time or date, before any work is done.

dcb
Old 09-02-2004, 08:12 AM
calmone

i agree that the dealership is the most expensive place to get repairs done. for parts, it pays to check the net out, especially subaruparts.com. a dealer and most shops will not let you bring yur own parts, sp make sure the person doing the work will let you if you intend to buy your own.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
I get alot of work done by my dealearship, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. They are expensive but they do the job correctly the first time.
They have never, I repeat never gouged me on part prices. They sell the parts at list price whether I buy them from their parts dept., or their service dept. tech. picks up the parts from the parts dept. counter.

I have a Suby dealer (Concordville) much closer to my house then Rafferty, but he stinks so I drive farther.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
I get alot of work done by my dealearship, Rafferty Subaru in Newtown Square, PA. They are expensive but they do the job correctly the first time.
There are exceptions to most every rule. Still, I maintain that, generally speaking, you will get better service at a better price from the little guy. He needs your business and will probably work hard to keep it; whereas the dealership service departments are but a money tree for the big boys. To each his or her own.

dcb
Old 09-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
They never have anything in stock, they can't get parts faster than I can get by ordering from subaruparts.com.

I can get any part I want from my local dealership...

in 4-6 weeks
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:52 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I worked at a local Subaru dealership from 1987 till 2002. The owner had the shop and parts dept charge the factory list price unless it was a fleet customer, another dealer or an employee.

When the business was taken over by a multi-dealer, they marked up prices to an obscene level. If memory serves, 100% markup over cost on all parts up tp $50.00, 75% markup on all parts from $50.01 to $100.00 and 35% on parts from $100.01 and up. My long time loyal customers complained and refused to come back. What did the new owner do? He said if they can't pay, he dose'nt want them as customers!
He is still a suckessful dealer, but many former Subaru owners, now drive Toyotas, Nissans, or Subarus from a different dealer.
Boycott, buy elsewhere, they are not all like that. Tom
Old 09-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NapaBavarian
I can get any part I want from my local dealership... in 4-6 weeks
And the thing is, in most urban areas, it ought not take 4-6 days if it has to come from Tokyo.

dcb
Old 09-02-2004, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I can get any part I want from my local dealership...
Try ordering a tranny case, just a case without internals.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:31 PM
rhhnx

Back when I bothered to get parts from my local dealers, I would for example get quotes on a water pump ranging from $100 to $250. That's why it's called "suggested" retail.

And none of these guys would stoop to delivering to an independent shop.

I have a toyota too. You have a lot more parts sources to choose from, including many reboxed oem parts that come in way under toyota list. But for some things the toyota list is not too bad. Plus until the car is over 10 years old, you can get almost any part from toyota overnite, delivered to the shop by their truck (not fed-ex), Over 10 years, you may have to wait two or three days.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Parts

Hi everyone, Its the same old story. Some dealers are great and others are the last place on the planet to get anything from or done. The same can be said for independent repair shops. At my local dealer they let me bring my own lubricants when I have fluids changed, and the parts guy always takes 15% off of regular retail on parts I purchase from them. The secret to not getting screwed is asking for an estimate on the repair labor and the parts. A dealer is entitled to a fair profit. Anything above that it just gouging and will not get my support. Take care, and you have a mouth, use it, BOBB
Old 09-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Parts Hook-Up

Dealer Parts

Don't be afraid to haggle, come prepared and don't let them tell you that you need things you don't. With that in mind, going to a dealer is an easy experience. Seriously...if someone comes up to me and says that they saw a part somewhere else for a different price I will not hesitate to give you that price if it is within my means because I would rather sell the part than not. The customer is always right.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Im personaly Very happy with my Dealer, Subaru Of Jacksonville... Even Porter Recomended them... And Bill in Parts is an awsome guy... it never takes weeks for my parts to get there, max of a week... but thats it! price charged MATCHED subaruparts.com.

So I am very happy with my service... I guess my luck is just different... and this Dealer also has an SVX Mechanic as well.. Big Advantage. If I remember correctly, as of right now, im one of 11 Regular SVX's that come in there... Only seen 2 of the others, one was a Bright Red 97!!! Talk about SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next was a 94 Green I belive.. older guy... told him about the network... but at the time he didnt have inet.

I hope i meet more of the SVX'ers around here!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)