Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 05:12 PM
e'X-driver

not geting an SVX!!!!!!

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! my dad put his foot down and sed your not geting an SVXi want to kill him!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! basterd!!! who will let me hit them i need to hit some 1!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Hater

get a job, and then buy whatever you want.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-26-2004, 06:58 PM
jklmnopqrst

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'll say it anyway: YOU'RE ONLY 17 YEARS OLD!! If you get a job, you can have your SVX by the time your a senior in high school. That's exactly what I did, and I'm extremely proud of it. I worked full time at my local car wash during the summer before my senior year, and I was able to buy myself the SVX that I had always wanted (on eBay). Take my word for it: you'll be ten times happier if you buy your car with your hard-earned money as opposed to letting your parents buy you one. There's a sense of pride in it.

If I can do it all over again, would I still buy an SVX during my senior year of high school? Absolutely not. I matched the cost of my SVX (over $3000) with maintenance, and repairs. Now, I'm entering my sophmore year at the University of Idaho and I could seriously use the money that I invested in my svx. I learned the hard way, and you will probably learn the hard way as well. When I was 17, everybody around me advised me not get the SVX. But, being the stubborn teenager that I was, I went ahead and bought it. If you are wise, you will take my advice into consideration before you do anything rash. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you completely disregard my forewarning all together.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Sorry to hear that dude. On the bright side, SVX's can be had for pretty cheap. Get a summer job and be driving around in one this Fall...

-Chike

P.S. Maybe your dad is trying to teach you some deeper lesson here...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-26-2004, 08:27 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by jklmnopqrst
This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'll say it anyway: YOU'RE ONLY 17 YEARS OLD!! If you get a job, you can have your SVX by the time your a senior in high school. That's exactly what I did, and I'm extremely proud of it. I worked full time at my local car wash during the summer before my senior year, and I was able to buy myself the SVX that I had always wanted (on eBay). Take my word for it: you'll be ten times happier if you buy your car with your hard-earned money as opposed to letting your parents buy you one. There's a sense of pride in it.

If I can do it all over again, would I still buy an SVX during my senior year of high school? Absolutely not. I matched the cost of my SVX (over $3000) with maintenance, and repairs. Now, I'm entering my sophmore year at the University of Idaho and I could seriously use the money that I invested in my svx. I learned the hard way, and you will probably learn the hard way as well. When I was 17, everybody around me advised me not get the SVX. But, being the stubborn teenager that I was, I went ahead and bought it. If you are wise, you will take my advice into consideration before you do anything rash. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you completely disregard my forewarning all together.
Hell, I am 26, I spent 5k on my first SVX and sank in around 12k to get it fixed, and after two more svxes later and (the last one on dying stage) I am thinking of getting another. Sometimes, you have to wait. Sometimes, you can do it. I always pay cash for my cars so... I may have to wait for a good SVX this time.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thread Hijack: Your new avatar just cracks me up Landshark! LOL!

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
get a job, and then buy whatever you want.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-26-2004, 09:36 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Thread Hijack: Your new avatar just cracks me up Landshark! LOL!
"I've got a fever...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!"
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
SVX Appeal

I would never recommend an SVX as a first car. Horrible choice. Expensive, impractical, possibly a bit dangerous, and most importantly, it's not a beater!

Beaters are sooo much fun to drive! Drive 'em until the wheels fall off. Get a cheap used hatchback and drive the piss out of it. Shoot, you can find one for less than a few hundred bucks - free if you look hard enough - but I've found dozens of them for $100 that would drive just fine. If it breaks in a couple of months, throw it away and get another. You'll save a bundle on insurance too, which you can save to feed that gas-guzzling-SVX-that-only-uses-the-most-expensive-fuel you're gonna buy someday.

Oh yeah, buy your own car. I bought my own. Everybody I know who's gotten one from mommy and daddy has always had it lorded over them. "No, you can't go out tonight. I still own that car and you can't use it." (Tell me you don't see that in your future.) Seriously, get yourself the biggest pile of junk you can find and pay next-to-nothing for it. I don't know you or how well you drive, so I'm not saying you're a bad driver, but the fact is that you will most likely have some kind of accident in your first car, and probably within the first few months. It'll probably be just the smallest dent, such as from backing into a hidden post, but it could be worse, like busting up your front air dam on a curb - or a lot worse... Why do a few hundred (or thousands) of dollars of damage to a nice car when you can wreck a car that already looks like a train-wreck? Hey, it may not be 50mph into a brick wall, but even a small dent can be expensive. I'll bet money something will happen, your dad probably will, and though I can't speak for the rest of us, I think they would too.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:40 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
i agree do not get an svx for a first car
my first car was a hand me down saturn sedan. was a piece of junk... although my parents still bought me my first car technically because the saturn was theirs, and it was traded in on my impreza, which was truely MY first car...

get a used impreza, they're great. good car to learn to work on, good car for snow, rain, sun, whatever. plenty of mods out there to make them fast.

Personly, if i were you, i would be begging for a GC (first gen) 2.5RS coupe. you can probably get one for around the price of the svx, but it won't break like the svx, and if it does it will be a heck of a lot cheaper to fix.

i still wish i had a 2.5 coupe instead of my wagon, but i was fine with the wagon anyway.

in conclusion, your dad is right. and the rest of this thread is right.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
Unhappy

wow, after reading this thread, seems to me like i'm in a bad spot for the future, seems like before i bought the SVX, people always told me about how they were " one of the best Subarus ever built", but after reading all of this, kind of makes me wish that I had bought something else, but then again, even though i'm only 17, and i might break, but dang, I love that car....

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 05-27-2004, 05:36 PM
calmone

no matter what ya get as a first car there WILL come that first dent or worse, tree stump that wrecks the car. would you rather it be an svx or some dime a dozen beater?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
I would never recommend an SVX as a first car. Horrible choice. Expensive, impractical, possibly a bit dangerous, and most importantly, it's not a beater!

...snip....
Couldn't agree more. My first car was a beater and beat it I did. Used to go to closed deparment store parking lots and run mini-AutoX type events except there was no cones or timing or well anything but me driving mostly like an idiot to see what the car could do, max braking, spin outs, whatever. If it broke, oh well, it was only $50. And if a friend spilled a beverage on the floor I didn't have to freak out, etc.

Those are some really great memories...memories I wouldn't give up for anything short of having had a new Ferrari as a first car.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

yeaa ive had my svx for 8 months now and it is my first car....and its now for sale because i cant pay for it anymore.....too much for gas and i dont wanna pay so much for repairs later on.....parts are very scarce and sometimes they dont even have the parts u need and u have to search long and hard for them....im only 19 so im gonna sell the svx and get myself an impreza...and BEAT THE HECK OUT OF IT!...5spd of course
Old 05-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Please

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
yeaa ive had my svx for 8 months now and it is my first car....and its now for sale because i cant pay for it anymore.....too much for gas and i dont wanna pay so much for repairs later on.....parts are very scarce and sometimes they dont even have the parts u need and u have to search long and hard for them....im only 19 so im gonna sell the svx and get myself an impreza...and BEAT THE HECK OUT OF IT!...5spd of course
As you sell your cars.. (all of you that are bailing out due to high repair costs and gas) tell the new owners... ,the ones that can afford the 3000.00 for the tranny 2000.00 for the transfer cases, the 2.50-3.00 per gallon gas, the difficult spark plug change, the o-ring fix,... and the 1100.00 per year insurance... etc., etc., etc.,

about our little support group here?

Good-bye and thanks for playing...

No really, good luck and please drive carefully. Remember the big one is out there waiting for you... don't be an insurance statistic!!!
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .

Last edited by Uncamitzi; 05-27-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
thats too bad that you weren't able to get the SVX. Just wait and the right one will come along. And if you want an SVX, by all means go for it and just take care of it as I'm sure you will.

On another note the SVX is my first car, and I absolutely love it and will treat it well. I would never want anything less, I despise 99% of the cars people my age drive, because there POS and everyone has the same thing (Honda, Ford Explorer, etc.). Its hard to find a car that is more unique than the SVX. Nor do most cars have the same blend of power, handling, and drivablity. Besides I hope to accomplish all future repairs on my own to cut cost.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX