Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

SVXASH:

One warning: Your intake is different from Chiketkd's because the intake opening is in a different place. By cutting the tube, Chiketkd's intake still pulls air from high in the fender. Your intake tube is very low. If you drive through a puddle or heavy rain, you could suck a large amount of water into your engine- VERY BAD.

I also run a low intake, with a fabricated ram box. But I NEVER drive in the rain. I will be raising it soon. I'll be modifying the front bumper to bring it through.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 07-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Agreed. Svxash, I fashioned the upper part of my intake resonator to do what svxhunter mentioned - draw cool air from higher up in the fender. If you look at the bottom of the passenger side turn signal, you will see a 1" gap in the rubber insulation between that light and the passenger side headlight. This is the location where Subaru had the input end of the intake resonator collect cold air - and when I modifed my intake resonator pipe I made sure it lined up with that small hole.

About trying to draw air from the lower part of the fender, read the linked paragraph from the SVX FAQ page and draw your own conclusion: SVX FAQ Page - Intake Resonator

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
One warning: Your intake is different from Chiketkd's because the intake opening is in a different place. By cutting the tube, Chiketkd's intake still pulls air from high in the fender. Your intake tube is very low. If you drive through a puddle or heavy rain, you could suck a large amount of water into your engine- VERY BAD.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-11-2004, 10:20 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Resonator

I truly hate to say this, but the Subaru engineers made this box to increase the plenum of "still" air available to the intake. Yes, in the neverending pursuit of MORE power, I have removed and modified the intake, more times than I can say. But if you study thermodynamics, and airflow you can improve on the original idea, but it means insulating the plumbing from heat, and introducing ambiant temp air, preferably under presure, as in RAM AIR, there are power gains available. Tom
Old 07-11-2004, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX
I'll have to look into this further. There is a gap on both the driver's side and the passenger's side by the turn signals. Where exactly does the air enter the wheel well? I didn't notice any large openings anywhere. Does the small gap cause a low pessure area in the wheelwell thus drawing air up into the well?
Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 AM

That small gap is on both the driver's and passenger's side of the car. However, the gap on the passenger side is what feeds the wheel well where the intake resonator is located.

At speed, the airflow directed at the car is split at the front bumper causing an area of high pressure to be formed around the area of our radiators. As a result, some air will be forced into that 'gap' as the inside of the wheel well will be at a lower pressure.

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by svxash
I'll have to look into this further. There is a gap on both the driver's side and the passenger's side by the turn signals. Where exactly does the air enter the wheel well? I didn't notice any large openings anywhere. Does the small gap cause a low pessure area in the wheelwell thus drawing air up into the well?

Old 07-12-2004, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX
It just seems like such a small area to have air drawn in from. Some air might enter there but not enough to feed the engine. If that were the only place where it entered then our intake tube would only need to be 1" or so. I'm thinking that the majority comes from around the grill opening.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Some air might come from the grill opening, but that 'small area' is where the input end of the intake resonator was placed. When a high pressure zone is created at the front of a car, you'd be surprised at how much air will flow into a low pressure zone through a small hole like that...

-Chike
Quote:
It just seems like such a small area to have air drawn in from. Some air might enter there but not enough to feed the engine. If that were the only place where it entered then our intake tube would only need to be 1" or so. I'm thinking that the majority comes from around the grill opening.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
At speed, the airflow directed at the car is split at the front bumper causing an area of high pressure to be formed around the area of our radiators.As a result, some air will be forced into that 'gap'as the inside of the wheel well will be at a lower pressure.
Then where does the air enter from when car is just starting out before it has a chance to build speed? That small gap can't be the main inlet. I've placed my hand over the intake and have opened the throttle quickly and it sucks you hand to the tube. If that were the only inlet it seems like the engine would easily consume all of the air in there before the car was up to speed. I'm not trying to argue but I'm confused and trying to understand this. Also if driving in rain or a puddle where would all of the water come from if there is no opening on the bottom? The light you see in the photos is there because I hadn't installed the fender liner yet. Once installed there is no opening on the bottom of the car or wheel well. The stock resonator seems to serve several purposes:
1. to quiet the intake noise
2. if any water was sucked, the pipes are split and the water being heavier would fall to the bottom of the chamber and drain out through the drain holes.
3. to maybe increase velocity by coming down the inlet stack?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:21 AM

The stock resonator may serve a few different purposes, but the main reason for that 'gap' in the pipe is for the production of an induction sound or 'resonance' when air moves over it quickly (kinda like blowing air over the top of a coke bottle).

The reason why I cut my resonator at the top and have my intake collect air from high in the fender, is to avoid any water from ever getting into my airbox. I've driven through several storms since doing this mod, and not a drop has gotten in there. With your set-up, you run a higher risk - but even then, I doubt you'll see any water in your airbox.

-Chike
Quote:
The stock resonator seems to serve several purposes:
1. to quiet the intake noise
2. if any water was sucked, the pipes are split and the water being heavier would fall to the bottom of the chamber and drain out through the drain holes.
3. to maybe increase velocity by coming down the inlet stack?

Old 07-20-2004, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to dragon8504
what if you were to weld something like sheet metal just below the stock tube after removing the resonator and tubing and make that an enclosed system?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:40 AM

Not quite sure how you want to arrange the sheet metal to make it an 'enclosed system'???

This was the airbox mod that SVX-FF did to his '92 to make the Intake Resonator a closed system...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by dragon8504
what if you were to weld something like sheet metal just below the stock tube after removing the resonator and tubing and make that an enclosed system?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:55 AM

Post A couple of people...

...have asked me for instructions on removing the intake resonator, so I figured it'd be worthwhile to post them for everyone.

1) Pop the hood and jack the car up and remove the passenger side wheel.

2) Right around the center of the wheel well, there will be a small gap in the fender lining where it attaches to the side of the car. Using your fingers (or car keys), pry the fender lining off. Pull it completely out and away from the side of the car so that you'll have an unobstructed view of the back of the resonator...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...etkd/17743.jpg

3) With a 10mm wrench, loosen and remove the bolt directly infront of the airbox inside the engine bay. This bolt attaches the top of the resonator to the fender wall.

4) With a screw driver (think it's a phillips head) remove the bottom of the under tray directly beneath the resonator completely.

5) Using the 10mm wrench, loosen the two remaining bolts connecting the resonator to the frame.

6) Pull the resonator out completely!

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 07-22-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fi...ketkd/17743.jpg

piccy no worky (copy the link...not the text)
Old 07-22-2004, 12:11 PM

Thanks! I fixed it...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fi...ketkd/17743.jpg

piccy no worky (copy the link...not the text)

Old 07-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
haha,

Oh man, I wish I had read this entire thread, I just spent a LOT more time than I needed to doing this!, haha, well, I managed to take off the resonator without jacking the car up or taking my wheel off, I just got done, so Im unable to talk about results yet, but here's to the best!

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension