Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Unhappy Desperate Help!! Climate Control

The very morning that a potential buyer comes to inspect the SVX (which I am selling), what happens:

Aircon on, goes to 35 degrees (heat) - I press down and although it goes down, it only does so for a second, then proceeds to climb back up to 35

I have rung the diagnostic and there are no error codes - does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be since this is all that is stopping the purchaser from buying

Thanks heaps

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Green1995SVX

This is a common problem with the climate control in the RHD model svx's. It is my understanding that the only cure is replacing the control panel in the dash.

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
If you have to replace the control panel, and get a new unit, I'll take the broken unit (as in i'll pay some $$ for it as well as shipping)

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:46 PM

I think I am going to be sick.....I hope it is not that!!

I had heard rumours about the SVX's having problems with the climate control units but what did I do in a previous life to have it happen on the morning that someone comes to have a look...why...whay *much wailing*

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 01-26-2004, 02:47 AM

Haven't a Clue

James,

Sounds too similar to what mine was doing.

Heading into Brissie one morning with it set at 24C the thing shot up to 35ish and wouldn't come down, so, as I was driving in traffic, I turned it off and thought another job for the Sube dealer.

On the way home it seemed too come good and worked OK. Very hot humid morning 38C with 85% humidity the afternoon was much better weather wise with 36C and 65% humidity. I put it down to the climate control not coping with the humidity and thought no more of it.

A couple of weeks later I was taking in to have a new security system installed and it happened again. Another hot day but low humidity. Pulled over and couldn't get it to shift, just kept bouncing back up and pouring heat out at me, last thing you need in a Qld summer.

Picked up after having the new security system fitted and it never repeated the heat syndrome. Only thing that I can think of was that they disconnected the battery during the alarm fitting. Can't see how that would affect the A/C. Sorry James I haven't a clue as to what happened to fix it.

Kenn

BTW 6 weeks later I took it in to have the A/C recharged, wrong gas. Now waiting for cash and parts, parts will probably arrive before the cash does.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:45 AM

I went down to take it out tonite for a run with Blake and Michell and....it worked fine!!

Turned on and off a few times and still the same old aircon - nothing different at all.

I tried the self-test and reset a few times - not sure if this helped it - will try again tomorrow morning - may just be a 'one off' - crossing fingers

Thanks

James

Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

James, simply explain to the prospective buyer that the SVX has a very desirable feature called "Mildew Minder", that will occasionally cause the A/C to run in the "Roast" mode. This futuristic option allows all fungi & small rodent odors to be purged on a regular basis, making the SVX a healthful ride indeed. Then show off the winter position wipers. Your prospect will now be humbled & demand that you raise your asking price.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 PM

I like your logic!!

Took it out last night - worked fine....the buyer is coming this evening (90 mins from now) so hopefully it is working again - other than that, the car is great and will be sorely missed.

If we stay in the UK, I will buy another one...then mount a camera, head off to Europe with Joe and the others, and then, once and for all, see what the top speed of an SVX is!!

Back to the Camry SVX Pursuit Vehicle for me

Old 08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
My Climate control just started acting up:
1. set to AUTO and it just blows warm outside air, no AC
2. turn it of then on again, started blowing cold air after about 5 minutes
3. next time I turned it on and off several times, no cold or hot, then after about 5 tries of different buttons the AC came on strong, and never seam to stop. sounds like my inside thermoneter is pooched???

Any suggestions?

Can I reset it? reboot the computer? run a diag? hit something?

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 08-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Let it sit for an hour or two then try it again. Mine will hiccup like this once or twice each year but always returns to SOP after a short rest.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:06 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Hey Beav, being an engineer type you realize that no problem fixes itself, but I hear you.
I've had this problem several days/weeks in a row.
I thought maybe the inside temp sensor may be blocked, so I hit it with the shop vac last night, today it appeared to be working fine
But I'm still concerned, if you and others have had a similar problem, I'll rely on your plan of "letting the gremlin get bored and leaving my CC" advice, seams like one of the easier fixes to me.
Anything to avoid taking apart a perfectly good running SVX.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:17 AM

Check out his thread - I'm pretty sure we are experiencing the exact same problems: HVAC thread link

I'm leaning toward this being an issue with the high pressure switch acting up. The switch comes as part of a ~$100 high pressure line/hose and the system will need to be evacuated to change it. I have found that my AC has been working the hotter it is outside, so I won't pursue this repair until it stops working. Last year, the AC stopped in the fall when the temps were in the 70's (F).
Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Have you tested for codes?

Instructions in the SVXipedia.

p.s. it's too bad I couldn't meet up with you on my way to Dabob.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG
Hey Beav, being an engineer type you realize that no problem fixes itself, but I hear you.
I've had this problem several days/weeks in a row.
I thought maybe the inside temp sensor may be blocked, so I hit it with the shop vac last night, today it appeared to be working fine
But I'm still concerned, if you and others have had a similar problem, I'll rely on your plan of "letting the gremlin get bored and leaving my CC" advice, seams like one of the easier fixes to me.
Anything to avoid taking apart a perfectly good running SVX.
I agree. One fact of life seems to be: "Left to themselves, problems only go from bad to worse." However... with automotive electronics one can't begin to imagine all the scenarios that can occur. If a simple cooling down followed with a cold boot restores function to a system, and it isn't chronic, don't kill yourself trying to fix it. It won't be long before something more important needs your attention.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I may have fixed it, but then maybe not, by sucking the snot out of the little sniffer hole it may have started the little fan moving again (I assume there's a small fan in there cuase my legend had one) its been 2 days and no anomolies yet
crossing my fingers....mind you, I shouldn't have posted this, because I'm sure the gremlin that lives in my car reads my posts