How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-14-2004, 03:42 PM
gcookaustin

Ceramic pads

I've seen some ceramic brake pads online for pretty cheap ($35). Given that they are ceramic, does this imply that they are of good quality, or would it be better to just stick with the stock brake pads? To use ceramic pads should you also have ceramic rotors?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:56 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Ceramic is extremely dense material, so as your brake pads wear, so do your rotors.
Stick with good quality Metal pads and don't have your rotors turned. When you rotors do warp, get new ones, there are some very nice threads on the discussion of after market rotors.

Ceramic is for the Autocrossers and Trackers.

SVX is a heavy car, and the brake preasure on the pads is a little excessive, so just stick with quality pads.

My opinion, I'm sure you'll get some more posts with other opinions too.

On a scale of 1 - 10, my opinion is worth a 4 as far as the SVX goes, but a 6-7 as far as overall mechanics goes. Keep this in mind.

p.s. search the threads for brake pads, there are some great posts.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 01-14-2004, 07:10 PM

Ceramic rotors would be interesting, but I don't know of any for a car. F-1 machines use carbon fiber pads and rotors (and maybe the Enzo too?) - can you say "big bucks".

Akebono makes aftermaket ceramics that fit the SVX. They are also an OEM brake pad supplier to several manufactuers (Subaru included I believe).

Not sure I'd trust a bargain pad too much, and I have no idea about rotor wear rates between the various kinds of pads.

A short read can be found here:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...rake_pads.html
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Brakes

Hi GCOOK, Some Porshe 911s come with ceramic rotors. I have Akebono ceramic pads with ART rotors. A great combination. If your OEM rotors are pretty new I would not see anything wrong with going with ceramic pads. As was said before,I would stay away from inexpensive pads. You have a premium car in the SVX and it will pay off in the long run to keep it that way. You are talking about a car that is 12 or 13 years old and there have been improvements in brakes and brake syetems in that time. So you can upgrade to SOTA and keep the lady happy. You pays your money and you get your thrills. Take care, BOBB
Old 01-15-2004, 12:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I am running EBC Greenstuff pads, which are kevlar rather than metal. This makes them kind to your discs, and virtually dust-free. Yipee, no more wheel scrubbing.

Oh, and they work incredibly well to with no fade induced so far. (And boy, I've tried.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
I just installed a set of the Akebino ProACT ceramic pads on my 96 over the weekend and I will give you a full report later.

Initial impression is that they are extremely responsive and stop the car much faster than the OEM pads with no fade whatsoever after repeated high speed stops. In fact the hotter the pads became, the grippier they gotThey never squealed once from the moment they were installed. They are supposed to be ultra low dusting and, because they are not semi-metallic and asbestos-free, any dust is very light in color.

When I talked to the vehicle testing division at Akebono they said the pads were ready to use right out of the box and no break-in or embedding procedures were necessary.

Akebono's part number for our car is the ACT333. They go for 67.00 a set from Tire rack for the fronts and come with the shims, lubricant, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...T+Ceramic+Pads

Click HERE for a review of the advantages of ceramic brake pads

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-10-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:25 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I need some Ceramics too

Old 05-16-2004, 12:32 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I just installed the Bendix Ceramic CT-3 pads on the front. A quick run around the block and they seam to be better than the cheapie Semi-metallics it had.

Anyone else try the Bendix CT-3 Ceramics yet???