How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-19-2003, 03:13 AM
The Molinator

Question SYNTHETIC or Dexron ?

I recently put "all" Redline D4 ATF synthetic automatic transmission fluid in my 4eat. A year ago, the dealer thought a shuddering (intermittent) problem (and rough idle) was the AT. So, before recommending a new or rebuild AT, they did a AT fluid transfer, putting in all new Dexron (I had 1/2 Redline synthetic 1/2 Dexron at that time). I thought I heard it's best to have synthetic, so I did a transfer of all AT fluid to Redline synthetic.

I notice more slipping between gears. Is it better to have the slipperier fluid (less friction/wear), or does the increased lubrication and resultant slipping between gears cause MORE wear (or damage)?

THANKS for your input!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SYNTHETIC or Dexron ?

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
I recently put "all" Redline D4 ATF synthetic automatic transmission fluid in my 4eat. A year ago, the dealer thought a shuddering (intermittent) problem (and rough idle) was the AT. So, before recommending a new or rebuild AT, they did a AT fluid transfer, putting in all new Dexron (I had 1/2 Redline synthetic 1/2 Dexron at that time). I thought I heard it's best to have synthetic, so I did a transfer of all AT fluid to Redline synthetic.

I notice more slipping between gears. Is it better to have the slipperier fluid (less friction/wear), or does the increased lubrication and resultant slipping between gears cause MORE wear (or damage)?

THANKS for your input!

This is an ETERNAL debate. There are those of us who don't see the need for the added expense of synthetic, IF you keep your fluids fresh. Others swear by synthetics. You'll get mixed reviews.

More slippage means more wear. I think that may be one of the "gremlins" in the SVX tranny. The TCU was tuned to give the SVX a "sport shift" feel, by sending a signal to the necessary solenoid for a long shift (adding a bit of slippage). They wanted to try to emulate a clutch and shift feel. Perhaps this increased slippage along with indadequate cooling is the downfall of the Subaru 4EAT (4-Speed Electronic Automatic Transmission). That's just opinion, based on my limited knowledge.

Perhaps your tranny had a few too many miles on it to begin, midstream, with synthetic. Again, that's just opinion.

I suggest you do what you want, and what makes YOU feel good. Just keep the fluids fresh.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-24-2003, 10:44 PM
The Molinator

REDLINE?

So, if I'm slipping more between gears (shifting more slowly, with revs during shifting sometimes). then more wear is occurring, right? What you said makes sense. I don't want to aggravate the already premature wear (of the SVX AT) by using synthetic oil which lubricates "too good"! Please tell me what you personally believe on this point>>I won't hold you responsible for my decisions, rest assured! THANKS AGAIN!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 12-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, I've printed out this thread so that I have proof that you won't hold me responsible.

I, personally don't buy the synthetic hype. I've never run anything but your standard "juice." I run Castrol 10W30 (changed every 3-5K miles) and standard Dexron III (I use Valvoline for the most part) in the tranny. I try to remember to flush the tranny every 60K (making sure it's done with a machine that uses the transmissions "innards" as the circulation catalyst as opposed to the machines that use their own pumps to circulate the fluid). So, that's my preference. Others may . . . no, WILL vary.

Yes, I personally feel that the added friction (despite the supposed extra protection) would be detrimental. Again, my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-25-2003, 12:07 AM
The Molinator

Exclamation OFFENDED!

I THINK I"LL SUE!

Thanks for your honesty! We're all so worried about political (and legal) correctness these days. God knows someone is watching out for me, because political correctness and legal implications are about last on my list of important considerations before opening my mouth!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

P.S. I had my AT changed with a machine that pulled out old and pushed in new ATF, but don't know which of the kinds you mentioned was used? Whatsthediff?