How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 PM
clarkerussell

Power steering woes..

OK, from looking at the threads, I think I might have the "O" ring problem. If someone would please verify, I'd appreciate it. Here are the symptoms:

For a while now when I am turning into a parking space it seems like the power assist is not working or is very weak. This has been happening for a few months. Recently, when the steering is under load (slowly turning the wheel left and right), but without the car in motion, it will "whine" and groan like the fluid is low. The fluid level is correct, so I was thinking the pump was bad. It does not happen when the wheels are pointed straight. Does this sound like the "O" ring problem? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The o-ring would be the first thing I would check. It's also one of the cheapest fixes you can find on the SVX.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:00 PM
6evil9

have the same problem since i changed the fluid in PS ()

changed o ring and it did not help (why would it anyway?)

so still at the same place

if u figure urs out pls let me know what u ve done

cheers
Old 12-05-2003, 07:51 PM

The cause of whine and low power assist is air in the system. Leaky O-Ring allows air to be sucked into the pump.

6evil9 - you have air trapped in the system. Let the car sit for several hours. Top up the PS reservoir, jack up the front of the car so the front wheels are in the air, turn them from full left to full right several times without engine running. Top up the PS reservoir again. Repeat turning. Top up. Start engine for a couple of seconds. Repeat the procedures as long as you have air bubbles in the PS reservoir (the mesh filter is removable).