Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-05-2003, 08:22 AM
ww111

Post Hub-Tamer, Rear wheel bearings, questions

I did the a search so qwitcherbichen!

It looks like rental or loan of the OTC Hub-Tamer is not a common thing. I found it online for $220 which seems like a great deal knowing my propensity towards weird cars. I also found a very good PDF describing the process here

http://www.endwrench.com/current/Cur.../WhBearRep.pdf

I need to verify that this is the same for the SVX. The picture on the front looks exactly the same as the SVX rear assy.

Any of you pro-wrenches agree or disagree? If there is a better bearing that's actually aproved by Subaru I'm more than willing to give it a try. One other thing. I replaced a front ABS sensor and it was the most difficult thing I've done on the car. Do I REALLY have to pull the rear ABS sensors to R&R the bearings?

Anyway, I'm off to order the thing. I'm only hoping it lasts another 500 miles or so

Thanks to all.

Collins
Old 10-05-2003, 07:55 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Actually, the ABS sensors are not that difficult to remove. It just takes the right approach. First step is to spray a bit of PB Blaster around where the ABS sensor fits into the backing plate. Let that sit for a day or whatever you can stand. Then you can pry out the ABS sensors using a single wedge chisel. Just use a hammer to tap the chisel between the backing plate and the bolt loop for the ABS sensor. You have to alternately chisel from several different sides of the loop and around the sensor itself. I actually only let the PB Blaster sit for about 15 minutes. Got them out in 20 min total including the PB Blaster.

The hub tamer apparently works, but I think there's something to be said for pulling the knuckle off the car, cleaning it, inspecting it, repainting it, and then reinstalling the bearings.

IMHO, the OEM bearings will get the job done with proper prep. The packing grease needs to be completely removed. Some people say not to use solvents, but I think its necessary to remove all the grease. Just use a solvent that will not attack the plastic retainer and does not leave a residue. Give sufficient time for the solvent to evaporate out of the retainer, bearings, and race. Then find a good a good grease. After about a week of research, I ended up choosing Magnalube, however, I think that the Redline CV grease would have also been a good choice. I've got about 10K miles on mine, and so far, no bearing noise. I'm not easy on my car either; I regularly drift the car through the corners. 10K miles are that much either though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:35 PM
ww111

Thanks, Are the rear bearings actually BALL bearings? or are they roller, or taper roller bearings? The new Subaru method of replacement is to leave the rear hubs on. I did the same whan I changed the fronts, but I cut the races off the car with a die grinder and a carbide burr. Nothing I owned at the time would take carre of that part. Hub Tamer to the rescue (fingers crossed)

Collins
Old 10-05-2003, 11:13 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I think they are taper roller bearings but I recall thinking to myself that the rollers didn't have much of a taper to them.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 AM
wolf33h

Hub Tamer, etc...

Hi ww111:
I have a HubTamer you can borrow if you want for shipping cost.
The thing weighs about 40 lbs, but you only needs a few parts.
Let me know. You do not have to take the ABS sensor or parking brake cable out. I took the backing plate out, and worked with the hub and knuckle. The worst in my experience is the lateral link bolt, which was frozen and had to be cut. If you could not take it out cleanly, I would take out the lateral links from the body side, and look and see whether the knuckle is out of round.
If it is, you have to replace it, and get a new lateral link bolt.
I used kerosene as a solvent to clean the packing grease, and a NEO synthetic grease HP800 for bearing grease. I have about 200 miles on the replaced bearing. All the torques are by the books!
Good luck, wolf33h
Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 AM
wolf33h

Is LarryIII going to Syracuse?

Hi WW111 again:
It occurred to me that if Larry is going to Syracuse again, and is willing, I can meet him on the way, and transfer the HubTamer to him. I saw a post where you two have met in Syracuse.
wolf33h
Old 10-06-2003, 06:39 AM
ww111

Wolf33,
I'm trying to get this taken care of next weekend. I'll take you up on your offer and pay for the UPS for the whole kit.

Please e-mail me at ww111@yahoo.com,
or call me at 800-650-2921

Thanks VERY MUCH!

Collins
Old 10-06-2003, 12:45 PM
wolf33h

Smile

Hi ww111: Done! Look at your email.
Cheers, wolf33h
Old 10-06-2003, 04:56 PM
wolf33h

HubTamer...etc....

Hi ww111: Hope I don't sound like a know it all because I have invested in a HubTamer....The master mechanic, from all I have been able to read on the net, is Beav, if you can get a hold of him!
He must have done tons of bearings among other things!
wolf33h