How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-17-2003, 12:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
1. You're probably only going to hear positive comments concerning car seats. This is less due to the SVX's utility and more to the fact that people who did not find the car useful as a family vehicle sold it. I know that many people throuighout the years on this site have sold their SVXs in lieu of a more 'practical' family car.

2. The SVX is a fantastic cruising car, and nothing short of a joy to drive over long distances. Some cars will leave you sore or numb. Some will get you there with no complaints. The SVX will make you want to keep going.

3. Over long trips, I would have to say that my average mileage is around 27mpg. If the terrain is relatively flat and I can keep a constant speed, I have seen as high as 31.4mpg.

4. I don't have multiple SVXs, but I have driven many. What you have to understand is that very, very little was changed on the car over the years. Over a 6-year production run, normally you see changes made to a model. But only 25,000 SVXs were made over that time, and the car was a financial flop. You could say that little was reinvested into further development of the car, or you could say that the car was great the way it was.

I wish you the best of luck in finding an SVX. Take your time and find one that was loved. It's worth the trouble.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-17-2003, 11:39 PM

Thanks again to those who have responded to my post.
I look forward to more input from those who have yet to respond and Im sure if/when I do finaly get an SVX I will have lot's of questions!
Mr.Pocket's, Thanks for the input and I do realize that the SVX isn't truly a family car, but since my wife drives an Outback, Im not overly concerned about that, just that I know the need to put a baby/child seat in the back will pop up on occasion, and want to make sure it will at least fit.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
With having my couple of sprogs for a few years now, I have found that some seats fit some cars.

When buying a seat, try it in the car first. Any decent store should be happy for you to do this. My local almost insists on it. I found that the child seats fitted better in the SVX than in my Legacy, I prefer the security of only 2 doors, the kids find it more comfortable than the Legacy and the seats are unmarked after well over a year. (Child seats do leave a mark on the leather but in my case they disappear after only a few hours)

The kids would be very upset now if we changed cars. i have no complains about the shopping capacity from my wife and it usually does well in the playgroung Grand Prix.

As certain members will also vouch, it is and extremely safe car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 07-18-2003, 04:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile

Hi Rotorflyr

You will have gatherd from other replies the SVX is the king of long distance highspeed cruising. It can also do seemingly unrealistic high speeds over back roads with little fuss, mainly due to seriously competent damping and body control.

My kids [13 and 16] fit OK in the back, it is comfortable for short distances, but Helen's long legs don't like long journeys. Totally comfortable and safe for smaller kids though.

Gas mileage varies from 20 running around to 27-28 highway. However, our gallons are bigger than US galls, so this is poor, but I don't use premium because of cost. I expect premium would add 2 mpg to above figures.

Trunk is pretty poor, very shallow, but the rear seat folds for big items.

Buy a post 94 model with 4wd is my advice. I am presuming US models get airbags, the Japanese one I have has none. They would make it a supremely safe car.

When you drive it, you will know. Going on three years [and a few problems] it still brings a smile to my face every journey. As a de-stress driving machine, nothing else comes near.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Allow me to add more fuel to this fire;

Car Seats

Yes, they fit pretty well in the rear seat. However, if your kids are tall then you might start running out of leg room as their legs dangle off the seats. Also, if you're tall and have the seats WAY back...

I have two kids, now aged 5 and 3... and I had an SVX up until about a year or so ago. So I've tried rear-facing and forward-facing seats. The forward-facing fit best by far, and kids rarely complained.

Lots of glass means it will get warm though...

Cruising

This is what the SVX is built for. I drove from St. Louis to Oklahoma City at least three times in an SVX (twice in a 95, once in a 94) and it was by far the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I think for cruising the leather seats are more comfortable than the cloth, but the cloth seats are better in a town-car where you're getting in and out of the car a lot on sunny days. Plus the cockpit is so well laid out and ergonomically perfect imho that it makes driving an absolute pleasure. I used to enjoy nothing more than cruising down the highway at 100 miles per hour for 4 hours straight (shh... don't tell any cops!) with Mozart lilting out of the speakers. Talk about nirvana!

General

The only problem with the SVX is less about kids and more about pregnant wives! My wife found the SVX rather uncomfortable while she was pregnant... she never did figure out exactly why. Also, try to avoid putting anyone over 5'10" in the rear seat for more than 30 minutes... that might be considered unreasonable punishment in some states

Hope this helps!

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:28 PM

Thanks again for all the replies! As I said before, it looks like it is going to be 2 or 3 months before Im ready to buy another car SVX or otherwise. Im most definatly leaning towards an SVX, as I want something sporty looking (always did like the look of the SVX) and it has to have 4/All wheel drive, so that does limit things!
Anyway, I have gotten answers to most of the questions so far and while I do realize that there are very few differences in model years, I would still like to hear from those who own/have owned more then one year of SVX as to which was/is your favorite, and why (even if it is just a personal thing)
Thanks Again!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
They're really not all that different. I owned a 95 first, then a 94... both almost identical in terms of general handling, quality and so forth. YMMV on subjective things like features...

My 94 had leather, the 95 had cloth. Personally I found the cloth seats better for "all around" comfort... but the leather seats WERE nice on long drives.

I've driven a 93 as well... again the same. The seats in that thing were sort of a velour that was probably the best (to me) compromise between the cloth and leather. Comfy on long drives, and didn't stick to the backs of your legs when wearing shorts on a hot day.

Again, YMMV. I must admit though, I did prefer the grey plastic interior of my "base" 95 to the fake plood that adorned the interior of my 94. Then again, that's subjective too

Hope this helps!

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Anyway, I have gotten answers to most of the questions so far and while I do realize that there are very few differences in model years, I would still like to hear from those who own/have owned more then one year of SVX as to which was/is your favorite, and why (even if it is just a personal thing)
Thanks Again! [/B][/QUOTE]

Then you'll no doubt want to talk to Earl (ensteele) & Lorenzo (LarryIII), who between them currently own all models & probably all colors.

Ron (deprived - only one, of ebony hue).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Thank you Ron for lumping me in with Earl. He's my hero.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!