How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-09-2003, 06:59 AM
tag007

FYI replaced windshield, no problems.

After an exhuastive search and several people on this board telling me it couldn't be done, I did it.
Took me almost 3 months to find a used windshield in my area (new was around $900). Had it pulled by glass shop where they took a hot wire to remove it. Did such a good job didn't even have to replace the air dam. Had it put back in yesterday. Looks great. Whole operation cost me $225 ($100 for the glass, $45 to remove, $80 to install) and about 4 hours drive time. Couldn't be happier, and now I have an extra $700 to put into my tranny fund.

-Tag
Old 07-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Good work! Any more details? how'd you find a used windshield???

- Rob
Old 07-09-2003, 01:47 PM
ou2mame

when i bought my car it had a *very* busted windshield. I called up every auto wrecker in long island, and one had one. There was one subaru part floating around upstate, and it would cost 1100 to bring it here, and I got the glass for 200, so.... Yeah, it feels good to cheat the system and find used glass
Old 07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
tag007

car-parts.com. Had a few on the line, but none real close, and no salvage yard was going to yank. None.
So for 3 months I would do a search at car-parts to find one. Finally found one two hours north of me, but like always, they wouldn't pull it at their reputaion for breaking.
I told them to hold it, I would be by on monday. Called a local glass shop, had them meet me at the salvage yard. 30 minutes later I had my windshield, completely intact. Brought it home, different glass shop came out and installed it.

BTW. The car I had the glass pulled from, came in on a Monday, made it to there system on Thursday, I came by the following Monday, 90% of the car was already gone, including engine, trans, every piece of glass, doors, ABS system.
The only thing he had left were some interior pieces, the back seat, and the radiator. Also had three calls after me for the windshield. I got lucky...