SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Anyone have a Shift Flare between 2 & 3? DO THIS

REPLACE YOUR TPS SENSOR. I scored a brand spankin' new one off ebay for 52 bucks, and installed it 2 weeks ago. Not a flare since. AWESOME!

- Rob
Old 07-02-2003, 07:28 PM

Registered SVX
Repairing the TPS

Rob,
How about pulling your faulty sensor to bits and let us all know what you find.

I think repair and or proper cleaning is possble in most cases and lack of pressure on the wiping contact could be a fault easily corrected. The only problem could be getting the return spring back in properly after removal. Someone needs to have a go and you have nothing to lose and your findings could save others real money.

Did you set up the position adjustment properly when installing the new unit ?

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
No, I haven't fine tuned it yet. What I did was my original unit had 'markings' of white paint ont he screws and hte TPS unit... I transfered those markings over with an exacto knife, and installed it so the 'scratch' lined up with the screws and the throttle body. Seems to work great, my car feels a bit better and the gas mileage is the exact same. I do plan on busting out the multi-meter in the future, I'm just really busy at the moment.

- Rob
Old 07-02-2003, 08:11 PM

Trevor, I used your method of checking my TPS and if I've never thanked you before I am now - if was very easy and quick.

One other thing to mention to those with a flare. I changed my TPS out about 6 months ago because I thought it would cure the flare. It didn't, but a band adjustment did. I went at it a little bit at a time (four individual small adjustments of about a 1/5 or 1/6 turn each time) until it shifted correctly. It's been several thousand miles now with good results (hope I didn't just jinx myself). The adjustment wasn't easy because of location, but with some mechanical ability and a couple of wrenches, the price was right (just my labor) - should have tried it first and saved myself about $80 (never thought of Ebay at the time).
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 AM

Registered SVX
Rob, You did exactly the right thing as time was a problem.

However as the new one will have slight mechanical variations it will be worth while doing as you say when you have time. In saying all this I realise I am telling you how to suck eggs as you will be aware of all that is involved.

Please pull the old one to bits when you have time. Your report will be of special value and interest I am sure.

Again regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!