How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-20-2003, 11:03 AM
_-DejaVu-_

O/T My First Speeding Ticket!

I was driving back to my parents house from Junction, when a cop pulled me over in a small town

I was too tired to try to 'flirt' my way out of it lol.
Any normal month, I would say $65 is nothing, but when your poor anyhow, I freaked lol
I so want a radar scrambler, because it is humanly impossible for me to drive the speed limit. I knew my luck had to run out sometime

~Deja~
Old 04-20-2003, 12:18 PM

naughty naughty.......

how about those insurance points??? we get nailed with those big time! but then again, some states don't need it

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Superbeast

$65? What were you doing 37 in a 35?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-20-2003, 02:27 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
65 is nothing... I have seen one as high as 800 bucks before.

BTW, I did not get that 800 bucks ticket
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Superbeast

$800 seems high., but there is that line between fine, court date, and instant ride in back of cruiser. I'v gotten one for $650 and I'v gotten courtdates, some how I usually get out the big ones at court, they keep saying my driving record isn't that bad? I don't know who's record there looking at.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-20-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
$800 seems high., but there is that line between fine, court date, and instant ride in back of cruiser. I'v gotten one for $650 and I'v gotten courtdates, some how I usually get out the big ones at court, they keep saying my driving record isn't that bad? I don't know who's record there looking at.
Yepp, a friend of mine got that one in IN. Running 120 in 65. It took the cop a good couple of miles to catch up and he even passed a vette on the way. If it was not for the rental and the fact that others in the car can drive, he would have been in jail. A little lesson -- Don't drive too fast in Indiana.

For the record, the biggest ticket I got was 130 bucks but that is normal 25 over in IL if you decide not to go to court.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 04-20-2003, 06:26 PM

The last and only ticket I got cost me about $150 for a two point violation. So $65 sin't that bad.
BTW, radar scramblers are a bunch of BS. I sold my Phazer on ebay for about 40 bucks. The only effective thing out there is the Defuzer Plus, which is rediculously expensive, only jams lazer, and has been shown to only work about 40% of the time in its best test results. I wouldn't waste the money.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 04-20-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:39 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
I got a $95 ticket for doing 90 in a 70. I thought I was lucky.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 04-20-2003, 07:21 PM

The way to avoid tickets is knowing the flow of traffic and how a cop thinks. I am not sure if there are any speed enforcement officers on the forums but I have talked to many and this is what I have learnt.

You can speed up to 20mph without sticking out like a sore thumb. The key is not to stick out and know when to slow down. Always slow down at the hills or huge corners where you know there might be traps. Never pull away from the pack. And do not shop for lanes too much. Keep to one lane.

Assuming that you are going 25moh over the limit, chances of you getting a ticket is higher if you are going back and forth between the left lane and the middle lane compare to just sticking to the left lane and driving past all the cars.

Try not to slam on the brakes if you see a cop on the side of the road. The nose of the car will dip and at night, your lights will light up the road behind you. Instead, let go of the gas and the car will slow down a little. If you slam on the brakes, it is telling the cop that you were speeding.

Hope these helps.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:27 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
The best way to slow down is to take your foot off the gas and then hold you e brake button and pull up a little bit. It works very well with my camry but ironically I dont speed with the svx.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-20-2003, 08:30 PM

Correct. You don't want to drive past a cop with your brake lights on. It's like saying "Hey look at me, I'm speeding."

I'd take Lwin's advice and also BE AWARE OF THINS AROUND YOU!
If you're aware enough to speed, you shouldn't get caught. If you're not, you shouldn't be speeding. It's dangerous to drive fast with your head up your ass.

Probably good advice to take from a guy who’s never gotten a speeding ticket, yet who probably hits at least 85 on the highway everyday.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:55 PM

Re: O/T My First Speeding Ticket!

Quote:
Originally posted by _-DejaVu-_
I...snip... I so want a radar scrambler, because it is humanly impossible for me to drive the speed limit. ~Deja~
Sorry about the ticket, sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. BTW, my daughter (age 18) got her first ticket last week for 74 in a 55 (while driving in a Lexus ES300 - not a usually a cop magnet). It's gonna cost her a bit more than $65.

I believe these are the general purpose rules:

Radar scramblers are illegal. Not to hard to spot somebody using one based on radar gun displayed output. Just asking for legal harassment.

Radar detectors, on the other hand, are legal in most states, but if seen by a cop almost certainly causes a ticket to be written when a warning might have been intended. Those coiled cords hanging down from windshields are a dead give-away. Mount one low - and remember to stash it without looking like you're hiding a gun or some other contraband.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: O/T My First Speeding Ticket!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Sorry about the ticket, sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. BTW, my daughter (age 18) got her first ticket last week for 74 in a 55 (while driving in a Lexus ES300 - not a usually a cop magnet). It's gonna cost her a bit more than $65.

I believe these are the general purpose rules:

Radar scramblers are illegal. Not to hard to spot somebody using one based on radar gun displayed output. Just asking for legal harassment.

Radar detectors, on the other hand, are legal in most states, but if seen by a cop almost certainly causes a ticket to be written when a warning might have been intended. Those coiled cords hanging down from windshields are a dead give-away. Mount one low - and remember to stash it without looking like you're hiding a gun or some other contraband.
Passive jammers are infact legal, yet don't work. Active jammers are illegal, work some of the time, yet are unavailable to the public.

Averyone, STAY AWAY FROM DEVICES CLAIMING TO BE RADAR/LAZER JAMMERS uless you like wasting $100+ on a piece of crap in a little black box that does absoltutely nothing.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:17 PM

Re: Re: O/T My First Speeding Ticket!

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

Those coiled cords hanging down from windshields are a dead give-away. Mount one low - and remember to stash it without looking like you're hiding a gun or some other contraband.
That is true. I have mine hot mounted where the screws are for the rear view mirror (since I have the video based rear view system). I also have a kill switch to ALL my toys (lights, AV, rader detector etc) under the seat as well (I might move it though) so if the cop were to look inside, all can be switch off from one central location hidden away.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:20 PM

In my accord, I had the radar detector mounted right under the driver's side visor, behind the tint ont he top of the windshield, the wire tucked behind the windshield and side piece, with the power connected to the fuse box. Totally invisible from the outside.