Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

SVX Checkup

Greetings All,

I recently bought a SVX on New Year's Eve. I just got back from a Subaru Dealership in Atlanta (Ed Voyles). I wanted to have the car checked out for any problems that needed attention. Here is what they told me that was wrong:

Left Front Axle clicking bad
Left Rear Wheel Bearing roaring
Valve cover gasket seal leaking oil
Front crank seal and cam seal leakage
Drive belts cracks
Front pads worn out

What are the approx cost of all this work and do I need to replace bearings and/or axle in pairs or can they do them individually? Also has anyone had their SVX's repaired at Ed Voyles Subaru in Atlanta, GA before? Are they decent and experienced in fixing SVX's. Any recommendations for mechanics that are in the Atlanta area that are reliable?

They also told me that the valve cover gasket seal and front crank seal and cam seal probably aren't that important to fix nor is the drive belt cracks. Is that true. They were emphasizing that the axle and bearing needs to be replaced.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2003, 09:33 AM
alacrity024

Harry-

I can't give you a very good price estimate for the bearing, the valve cover seal, or the crank seal. I will tell you that if you are even a little bit automotively inclined, you should be able to to the other repairs (axle, belts, pads) yourself. It'll be even easier if you can find a handy SVX'er in your area, because they'll likely have done the repairs themselves already.

The axle is a $150 part from raxles.com, the belts can't be more then $30, and the pads could range from $20-$75. I've got no idea about the dealership or prices on the other repairs.. If you use a genuine Subaru axle it'll cost you $300.. I'd recommend talking to marty at raxles and ordering a reman one.. it'll probably outlast the car.

-adam
Old 01-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

$1500?

A bearing replacement seems to run about $250, taking the front cover off and doing that stuff runs about $500, front brakes maybe $150, I'm just guessing on the other stuff.

Brake pads are easy to replace on the SVX, you might consider doing that yourself. The other stuff is doable by owners, depending on their skill level and tool box contents.

Welcome to the joys of SVX ownership! She's a demanding mistress.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 01-07-2003, 04:00 PM

Great thx guys.

Hey thanks all for the advice. I'm not familiar with working on cars, but I'm not a dull blade either. I've been looking for a book that can explain the in's and out's of the SVX and I'm willing to learn if there is an SVX'er in the Atlanta area that can give me some pointers on how to change some things. I've never been interested in working on cars until I got this baby. I'd love to know everything there is to know about this one cause I want this to last another 10 years!

Anyway, Here is the quote I got from Subaru:

Left Front Axle - $533
Left Rear Wheel Bearing - $428
Master Switch for Driver Window - $218
Valve Cover Seals - $378
Front Crank Seal - $425
Front Break pads - $198

There were a few other odds and ends stuff but the main bulk price is a hefty $2180.00!

OUCH! So a remanufactured Axle is ok to use? I'll check that out.

I was looking to buy the larger rotors from i-rotors with pads. Are rotors hard to put on?

In regards to the valve cover seals and front crank seals do you think I need to fix those?

Thanks for all your help! This FORUM ROCKS!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The bearing sounds reasonable, but the valve covers and brakes are not hard at all. I did the driver side seals in the driveway and plan to do it again and the passenger side come summer. The seals will run about $70 total for both sides and you should plan on buying new sleeves as the rubber in the old ones shrink and allow oil to seep out. As for the front brake pads, they should cost no more than $35 at the local parts store and take no more than 30 minutes to change including jacking up the car and removing the wheels.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young
A bearing replacement seems to run about $250, taking the front cover off and doing that stuff runs about $500, front brakes maybe $150, I'm just guessing on the other stuff.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM

wish you were here in Atlanta kuoh

thx kuoh, wish you were here in atlanta. do any of you have any good recommendations for a good svx repair book?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:24 PM
alacrity024

Factory Service Manuals are (in my opinion) wonderfully written and construted.. get your hands on a set specific to your year car and you'll never look back.

I can't believe they want five hundred bucks to replace that axle.. I'll tell you what.. you send me five hundred bucks, I'll buy two left-front axles (I need one too), I'll drive down from New Hampshire to Atlanta, show you how to do it on my car, and help you do yours... five hundred bucks.. geeze...

the window switch unit is super easy.. just pop your door panel off and replace the old unit with the new one.. it's just a hundred-dollar part.. asamatteroffact, I need the same thing on my car, so again, buy two and i'll help you put yours in

rotors are actually EASIER to replace than pads.. it's getting the caliper off that's "tricky" (hint: it really isn't).. pads are actually a little tough to get in and out of their seats.. I sat swearing at a set for a good half hour, but i'd never changed pads before in my life.. i'm sure it'd be easier now.

now here's an idea for a business.. traveling SVX repairman.. will work for beer, gas money and parts! too bad I can't do trannies........... we should put together a dream team!

-Adam
Old 01-08-2003, 02:54 AM

good idea

adam, good idea travelling svx repairman . I've seen 2 other SVX's in Atlanta and 2 subaru dealerships have said that they have 2-4 clients that own SVX's. I'd personally like to know how many SVX's there are in Atlanta. I haven't seen very many that posts on this board from Atlanta tho. If there is a good client base maybe you should figure out how to put in a tranny ;D.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i had the exact same issues whene i bought mine

right rear wheel bearing went bad
frount engine main seal went bad
and vavlve covers leaking oitl

the wheel bearing i think was 180.00
and frount enigne seal 450.00 plus he changed the timing belt also

u wil need to do the same the oil leaks on to the timing belt and thats not a good thing

i would waite on the valve covers unless they are pooring oil out,, mines isnt bad at all just alittle seapage.

go to a really well named mechanics shop and have it done it suld be cheaper