How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-04-2003, 11:00 PM
sith

Car buying Advice for Mom

Hey all - yes I'm still alive, just had personal life intruding on the rest of the life.

So, my mom had a fall this week and has ripped something in her leg, to the point where she's looking at surgery and at least 6 months on crutches.

It's her left leg. Her car has a manual transmission. This is presenting certain problems.

Her car is a 1994 Volvo 850 wagon that she loves. It's got 160,000 miles on it or so. Dad is now having to look at replacing it with something with an autobox.

It needs to be a Wagon with more cargo space than an Audi A4 Avant (for comparison).

My own personal leaning would have me forcing her into something with All Wheel Drive.

Options I know of are:
Subaru Outback (probably the H6)
Volvo V70 AWD
BMW 325cxi
Volkswagon Passat Wagon w/4motion
Maybe a used Audi A6 Avant or Audi Allroad, though thats a bit out of the price range

I'm wondering if anyone can offer either experience with any of these cars, recommendations, or any other cars we should be considering.

All help would be very appreciated by the whole family.

-Colin
Old 01-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb

Colin - sorry 'bout your mom's problem. Probably not as sorry as she is, however. Anyway...If she REALLY loves the Volvo, & you figure she'll be back to "shiftin'" in 6 months, why get rid of it? Assuming she needs a wagon, why not buy an '80s Buick (or whatever) wagon on the cheap? You could probably sell it for what you pay for it. If money is no object, disregard the suggestion, & have fun.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:28 AM
sith

Well, the other part of the story is that the folks were planning to replace the Volvo within the next year or so ... mom loves it, but it's not been trouble free and is getting more expensive to maintain than it's worth (not that we'd know anything about that).

With that in mind, it doesn't seem to make fiscal sense to buy another used car just for 6months, especially since I'd want her to have something that would be safe in Wisconsin winter (she has ~60miles/day commute).

Anyways, it's still an idea we're tossing around, but I'm going to push to just go ahead and replace the volvo.

-Colin
Old 01-05-2003, 12:29 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Colin,

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she gets better. As for the car, I personally like the AWDs. So outback is a nice choice. I do not know your price range so how about the baja. Kind of different but will fit stuff. What about the SUVs? They have room and many come with the auto box. VWs and Audis are good but I think they are mainly marketing people BS-ing in general.

Nice to hear from ya.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-05-2003, 12:30 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by sith
Well, the other part of the story is that the folks were planning to replace the Volvo within the next year or so ... mom loves it, but it's not been trouble free and is getting more expensive to maintain than it's worth (not that we'd know anything about that).

With that in mind, it doesn't seem to make fiscal sense to buy another used car just for 6months, especially since I'd want her to have something that would be safe in Wisconsin winter (she has ~60miles/day commute).

Anyways, it's still an idea we're tossing around, but I'm going to push to just go ahead and replace the volvo.

-Colin
IN that case, push hard to replace the Volvo. Volvos are nice cars. I like them. But I they are costly to maintain. Well, so are the SVXes but that's a whole new issue isn't it. Get her a new car.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Green1995SVX

Colin-

Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she recovers quickly.

I, myself, am going to have an AWD wagon as my next car. I narrowed it down to either a Legacy GT wagon, or a Volvo V70. I would likely go with the Volvo because they have more power. I think they are better looking, and seem to have been built with more quality than the Subaru.

If your mom liked her Volvo, why not stick with Volvo... seems pretty logical.

Just my thoughts.

Mike
Old 01-05-2003, 06:51 AM
"high" in Colorado

My everyday driver is a 91 Legacy wagon with 144k (manual)...it has been nothing but GREAT! When the time comes, I'll replace it with a later (used) model Legacy/Outback !

Sounds like a new ride is in Moms future. Make a list of possibilities, test drive em all...then make a decision.

Lets us know what you decide on...

How is your SIlver Beauty doing?
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 01-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Hater

i'd say Outback, Legacy wagon, or Forester with Sportshift - that way she can shift it "manually", but no clutch to deal with.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-05-2003, 08:01 AM

hey, i hope mum does better. give her our get well wishes!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Here's my $0.02 Colin

First, sorry to hear about your mom. I hoe she recovers quickly.

I drive a 2001 Passat wagon (1.8t, 5 speed, FWD) on a daily basis. Great car in the 1.5 years/41,000 miles that I've owned it. It will be replaced by another Passat wagon in July. Trouble-free and inexpensive to purchase and own. The AWD versions are more expensive. The Passat is based on the Audi A4/A6 platform. Audi's AWD experience and history is second to none. If your interested in poking around some forum sites for Passat, Audi and Volvo info, I'd recommend the following:

www.vwvortex.com
www.clubb5.com (Passat is based on the VW B5 platform)
www.audiworld.com
www.swedespeed.com

Car and Driver did a AWD wagon comparison about 2 years back that featured the Passat, A4, Outback and one other vehicle I can't recall. The test was on their website. Might make a good read.

One other vehicle to consider based on the low cost requirement is the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. Wagon like, AWD availability and less then $20K. My aunt and uncle, both mid-50's, just purchased one and they have been very impressed with the vehicle. My aunt has a long commute and strange hours as a hospital VP and is very concerned about the ability to get through inclement weather. Just a thought.

Todd
Old 01-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Car buying Advice for Mom

Sorry to hear about your mom - hope her recovery is a smooth one. My thoughts about the cars:

Subaru Outback (probably the H6) - excellent choice and economical (compared to the others on your list)

Volvo V70 AWD - excellent choice, kinda costly

BMW 325cxi - repairs and maintenance can be brutal

Volkswagon Passat Wagon w/4motion - another excellent choice, probably more costly than the Outback

Maybe a used Audi A6 Avant or Audi Allroad, though thats a bit out of the price range - also excellent choices, kinda costly

Check out a Legacy GT wagon, also - only comes with that punky 4-cylinder, but you're not carrying around 200 pounds of useless cladding.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 01-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Jay_Walker

Colin,

Too bad about your mom, man. That really bites the dust. But as far as a new car, when I was living in Colorado we bought a Suabru Legacy. It came with some sort of hydraulic lift, it may have been an air powered lift, but I dont remember. What I do remember is that we owned the car for some 7 years and we never had any trouble with it. The car hit 150k and it never had to be taken into the shop for any problems other than genral maintenace. The all wheel drive and the Hydaulic Lift would be good assets in Mn. Good luck. I hope it all works out for you and your family.

- Greg