Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
Turning Clunk

Hey Guys, I just changed my TPS in the car and had a clunk when braking and turning along with other TPS sx; the new TPS took care of everything except.

1. When cold, car has hard shift between 1+2, seems to get better when warm

2. When turning, like into a parking spot while braking there is a loud thud that feels like its the tranny, i cant pinpoint exactly, but sound like from the front, doesnt seem to do it unless its slower

I have the TPS set at .50 exactly at the white wire and all of the other symptoms seemed to have cleared up with the new TPS, any ideas on these problems; I can deal with the cold shift, but the thud worries me a bit

Any help appreciated

Nicknamed the SexVX : )
Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Turning Clunk

Adjust the brake band, might help a little. Is the 1->2 upshift harsh also at large throttle openings, i.e. under load?

Are you running with the stock TCU?

The clunk is probably the tranny shifting down to first (harsh).

How about others with 4.444 trannies? Is your 1-2 also harsh? Mine is....

Tapani
Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Adjust the brake band, might help a little. Is the 1->2 upshift harsh also at large throttle openings, i.e. under load?

Are you running with the stock TCU?

The clunk is probably the tranny shifting down to first (harsh).

How about others with 4.444 trannies? Is your 1-2 also harsh? Mine is....

Tapani
Yes TCU is stock
As for the 1-2 upshift, it usually goes away after its warmed up and is actually better under heavy load; when in traffic it seems to be worst; but once warm, it doesnt really seem to be an awful problem

That clunk is worrysome; i dont want it to hurt anything; if i slow down real slow and ease the brake while turning into a spot, the thud is much less; but if i turn normal and tap brake it really does slam down quite hard; sometimes even enough to chirp the front tire. idk if anything with the resistor has anything to do with this; or what could be done to help. otherwise the car drives great now with the new sensor, but this isnt right

Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Clunking while turning sounds to me like the AWD binding. Search "binding" and you should find some more info. Solenoid C might be stuck. It could also simply be because you're using the 4.44 tranny with the stock TCU; this causes a little more engagement of the rear drive than stock. But there are a lot of people that are using the 4.44s with the stock TCU.

The rear diff binding can also cause binding symptoms, but that is statistically waaay less likely.

The hard 1-2 shift, I have no idea.

How's the tranny fluids?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Clunking while turning sounds to me like the AWD binding. Search "binding" and you should find some more info. Solenoid C might be stuck. It could also simply be because you're using the 4.44 tranny with the stock TCU; this causes a little more engagement of the rear drive than stock. But there are a lot of people that are using the 4.44s with the stock TCU.

The rear diff binding can also cause binding symptoms, but that is statistically waaay less likely.

The hard 1-2 shift, I have no idea.

How's the tranny fluids?
The tranny fluid is fine; right color level with no real pieces noted in the fluid.

As for the binding; Before I had the 4.44 put in I had binding in my old tranny; it may have been a C solenoid; but when I got the 4.44, it was fine. This isnt really a binding issue and it isnt the rear wheels locking up. It feels like a really really hard downshift only while turning sharp and braking at the same time; if im at a standstill and turn really hard I dont have the same problem. I figured with the new TPS it would cure everything, and it helped a ton; but the thud is def from the front of the car and is mostly tranny shifting I believe, any ideas?

as for the 1-2 shift; over the past few days it has gotten much better, once the car is warm I dont have that problem at all; so its not a huge concern as I always had cold driving issues since the 4.44 ; if I warm the car up, only the first and maybe second shift are hard and then it smoothes out.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX

So a little update on my issue; I have noticed that even driving straight; while slowing down I can feel the tranny slightly thud into first; Nothing major or bad or too sever; but while turning at slow speeds is when i get the real hard slam. Its not binding at all; I can turn a full circle in a parking lot and its fine; its only when Im coming to a slow down/stop. Is This possilby a C solenoid issue or something else; my manual button doesnt work and I do get a power light blink on start up so I cant run the code. Any help please : )