How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: wats the best tranny for the 5 spd swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
i checked out the how to page but it says page cannot be found. weird. i sent a message to tom to see if he can help me out, but he didnt get back to me yet.
Tom is usually very busy lately it seems. Try Mike621 as he is usually around the computer at times throughout the day
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Tom is usually very busy lately it seems. Try Mike621 as he is usually around the computer at times throughout the day
This is true. I'm on and off at work.

I'll check current pricing on a lengthened driveshaft for you.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post

ok thanks alot mike do i need to get a new one or is there a longer driveshaft in another kind of car that would fit? the whole reason is im planning to go to an auto yard sometime this week and i want to grab as much as i can without having to spend much. im sorry to say the economy has affected me greatly and i only have around 2k to spend in total. that has to include labor costs from a good mechanic since i have close to no knowledge in this area.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I think what you are asking for, as far as budgeting, is unreasonable, especially if you are not doing any of the work yourself. At that price, you will end up with something shoddy.

You will need a good (new stg 2) clutch and machined flywheel, custom pedals, lengthened shift linkage, a rear diff, driveshaft (legacy 5mt is slightly too long), transmission, and a custom cross-member (~500 alone) at least.

Last edited by Mike621; 06-30-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I think what you are asking for, as far as budgeting, is unreasonable, especially if you are not doing any of the work yourself. At that price, you will end up with something shoddy.
unreasonable? ok i understand well how much on estimate would i need to have? it may take longer before i get the money but it will be done. believe me if i had the tools and the knowledge, id gladly do it myself, otherwise this is a must. this is my only car and without it im stuck in the woods literaly lol

Last edited by Wolfy; 06-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM

how much would i need on labor costs alone do you think?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

i had mine done and it was $185 and i had it lenthened 2 3/8 inches and that was for a 03 wrx tranny

ebay i got a 10pound fly wheel and stage 2 clutch kit for $450 new.

i got the tranny off craigslist for $300.

and i made my cross-member $20

so total for me was $955, just to give you an idea
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiguy View Post
i had mine done and it was $185 and i had it lenthened 2 3/8 inches and that was for a 03 wrx tranny

ebay i got a 10pound fly wheel and stage 2 clutch kit for $450 new.

i got the tranny off craigslist for $300.

and i made my cross-member $20

so total for me was $955, just to give you an idea

I just bought a donor car that had a bad body for 650$ so it had all the pedal assembly parts needed to make my own, as well as differential to swap in lsd, the tranny, and flywheel for the job. Tomsvx told me that he sells extended drive shafts for around $350 if I remember not including shipping but there would be a wait. I did all the work myself and bought a stage 2 clutch for 190$ on ebay. I would go for the clutch and flywheel from ebay for 450$ if I were doing it again. The cross member cost me nothing but 10$ for the wire on my welder since I had some scrap metal off the donor car I stripped that i used. I'm totaling around 860$ with out drive shaft right now. So in the long run I will have spent around 1400$ high estimate. I also only bought the car for 300$ with bad tranny hehehehehehe To have some one else do the job from what I have researched it is around a $4,000+ job and parts are included... Couldn't tell you how much it would cost for some one just to do the work. Sorry. Hope this helps. Oh and I used a 1997 Subaru Impreza L wagon for my swap. I do not plan to use this car for much racing for it is out of a 2.2L car and the tranny will not hold up to the motor long if I do. Regular driving will be fine. Hope this helps.

If you would like to check it out here are some photos of my swap.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1836535

Last edited by Brandon770; 07-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon770 View Post
I just bought a donor car that had a bad body for 650$ so it had all the pedal assembly parts needed to make my own, as well as differential to swap in lsd, the tranny, and flywheel for the job. Tomsvx told me that he sells extended drive shafts for around $350 if I remember not including shipping but there would be a wait. I did all the work myself and bought a stage 2 clutch for 190$ on ebay. I would go for the clutch and flywheel from ebay for 450$ if I were doing it again. The cross member cost me nothing but 10$ for the wire on my welder since I had some scrap metal off the donor car I stripped that i used. I'm totaling around 860$ with out drive shaft right now. So in the long run I will have spent around 1400$ high estimate. I also only bought the car for 300$ with bad tranny hehehehehehe To have some one else do the job from what I have researched it is around a $4,000+ job and parts are included... Couldn't tell you how much it would cost for some one just to do the work. Sorry. Hope this helps. Oh and I used a 1997 Subaru Impreza L wagon for my swap. I do not plan to use this car for much racing for it is out of a 2.2L car and the tranny will not hold up to the motor long if I do. Regular driving will be fine. Hope this helps.

If you would like to check it out here are some photos of my swap.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1836535

ok damn 4000? ok i think im gonna hafta hold off on the conversion then damn. i guess ill have to purchace a tranny cooler for it to last long enough for me to get that amount of dough :P hehe honestly thanks guys for all your help, i really appreaciate it. )
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Oops, sorry. I guess I know less about Legacys than I thought I did (which wasn't much anyway)

I bought my car already converted so I can't tell you much about the cost or what parts you need. I asked the previous owner what he did for the drive shaft and he said he took two pieces of two different Subaru drive shafts and it works fine. I do not recall what cars, or how... But the drive shaft is in my garage if you want pics of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Oops, sorry. I guess I know less about Legacys than I thought I did (which wasn't much anyway)

I bought my car already converted so I can't tell you much about the cost or what parts you need. I asked the previous owner what he did for the drive shaft and he said he took two pieces of two different Subaru drive shafts and it works fine. I do not recall what cars, or how... But the drive shaft is in my garage if you want pics of it.
are you using it? how much would you want for it?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I'm not using it right now as my engines out of the car and I'm in the process of locating an 05 WRX trans, but when all thats done I will be. Sorry.