Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to nysvxryder
Will these rims fit?

Hello everyone,

I think that you will all be pleased to know that after selling my previous SVX a little over a year ago i've wised to and gotten another :-D

I have a rim fitment question that i'm hoping someone on here will be able to help me with. I'm looking at a set of bronze Volk Racing TE37's that are 18X8.5 with a +30mm offset and a 5X114.3 bolt pattern. I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is right but i was wondering if anyone knew if the other measurements would work...kinda doubt it b/c of the differences in rim width and offset but if it'd work i'd be thrilled. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Will these rims fit?

+30 offset...I'm betting they will rub against the fender. You will be bringing the outter edge of the tire 1.5" further out than stock, which is a lot.

See if they make that rim with a +45 offset, and throw some 255/35/18 tires on them. That should do the trick nicely.

Edit: Searched around a bit, Tirerack.com has some that are +50 offset. That's starting to get a bit tight in the opposite direction, but my STi BBS wheels are 8" wide, and +53 offset. Doing the math, the Volks would come inward just 2mm farther than my wheels, which shouldn't be a problem. 245/35/18 would be the ideal tire size for that rim I think.

If you're getting a deal on that first set of wheels (I can see how expensive they are :O) an option is to bring them to a machine shop, and have them take 15mm of material off the back of the wheel to effectively give you a +45 offset.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 10-17-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
See if they make that rim with a +45 offset, and throw some 255/35/18 tires on them. That should do the trick nicely.

Edit: Searched around a bit, Tirerack.com has some that are +50 offset. That's starting to get a bit tight in the opposite direction, but my STi BBS wheels are 8" wide, and +53 offset. Doing the math, the Volks would come inward just 2mm farther than my wheels, which shouldn't be a problem. 245/35/18 would be the ideal tire size for that rim I think.
With the 255/35/18 speedo reads 60... going 60.4
with the 245/35/18 speedo reads 60, going 59.7
Since our SVX speedo's are all about 1.8 mph too fast at 60, I may go with 255/35/18 to get closer to actual speed in a couple of months when my Michelins get worn down a little more. I am anxious to give the 18's a try.

Any suggestions on the brand of tires to get in 18's? I don't know if Michelin makes that size.

Lots of rain here in the winter but snow is no problem here for the SVX. The only problem is the fools that are native to Washington state that we have to deal with.

It rains almost all the time. but they are continually rolling over because they don't know how to drive in the rain.

When it does snow...(one small one every 2 years) they are continually rolling over because they don't know how to drive in the snow.

When the sun does come out, they are continually rolling over because they get blinded by the sun. This is where our sagging sun visors in the SVX's really are worth their weight in gold! The natives wouldn't even have to remember to turn the visor down!

I don't have that luxury, because I bought new ones but, being a Texan, I automatically adjust to the conditions.

I think I need to get to bed now

Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

1.8 MPH out at 60...wish my car was that close. I think mine reads about 5 MPH faster than I'm going. Radar stations consistently show me a slower speed than I though I was going.

Michelin manufactures 4 tires in that size, 4 versions of their Pilot Sport actually. The standard Pilot Sport ($292 ea. on Tire Rack), Pilot Sport PS2 ($309), PS2 ZP ($371), and Pilot Sport A/S ($354). All have a treadwear rating of 220, except the A/S, which is 500.

If you want other name-brand options, Pirelli has several selections (including their DOT-competition tire, the PZero Corsa, which currently lists for $75!!!! - only 2 left though). All the Pirelli's are less expensive than the Michelins. I'd bet on the PZero Rosso, listed at $285.

There are lots of good options. Don't be sucked into the Michelin trap of believing they are the best tire simply because they say so, and they cost the most. I will admit they make excellent passenger tires, but when it comes to high performance, the field has so many competitors...I don't have a ton of experience driving on lots of tires, but I can tell you what I've heard from people who do.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 10-18-2008, 08:10 PM

might consider Yokohama ADVAN S.4. (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM

When I get new tires, I'm planning on getting the Vredestein Ultrac. Made by a small Dutch company, these tires have been getting very good reviews. The thing I like best about them though, is that they were designed by Giugiaro! Now you can have a car and tires that were designed by the same guy! Yippee!

Here is a picture. Not sure on size/availability, but they've been selling more and more in the U.S. in the past couple years. I've even put on a few sets myself.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hey guys, I figured I would post in this thread since it seems pointless to start yet another rim/tire thread.

I am going to pick up a parts car on sunday that does not include rims. I was going to just put mine on jack stands and bring the car back and put that one on jack stands however that would cause some problems so...

After searching on Craigslist I have found someone selling a set of 16"x6.5" Steelies off of an 04 Altima. After searching online it looks like the offset on those should be 40mm. They have Blizzak WS-50s on them that are 215/60s and have almost full tread. Will these fit ok for actual driving as I was thinking of having them for Snow tires on my driver in Winter?

Thanks again for the help guys...
-Nate

Edit: did some more searching and the offset on the 02-06 steelies appears to actually be 42 mm and have a backspacing of 5.43"

Last edited by 1986nate; 02-14-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Machining the mounting area of a wheel to correct offset No way! Talk about epic FAIL! Get the right offset for the car (48-55mm). If you machine the face you change the amount of aluminum where the lugs mount (the most critical point on the wheel with the highest temps and the highest loads). Bad idea if you ask me.

The snowtires on Altima rims may be a tight fit. I mounted a set of 215/55-17 Blizzaks on a set of 38mm offset wheels from my wifes G35 sedan and they rubbed horribly in the back (think baseball card in bike wheel spokes).
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Machining the mounting area of a wheel to correct offset No way! Talk about epic FAIL! Get the right offset for the car (48-55mm). If you machine the face you change the amount of aluminum where the lugs mount (the most critical point on the wheel with the highest temps and the highest loads). Bad idea if you ask me.
A guy in Ottawa has a red 94 with a 5MT and custom exhaust which he drives in Auto-X. It runs on wheels meant for a Mustang. These wheels had too little offset and rubbed, so he had them machined down. They were still attached to the car last I saw. Now that I look back in that light though, saying to take 1.5 cm off might be a wee bit of overkill.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 AM

I came across this site which calculates offset & clearance - doesnt take into acct wheel dia - but I'd prob'ly say anything over 17" would be a loss of comfort in the style of SVX?

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just so everyone knows, The tires on the 02-05 altima 16" steelies slightly rub on the rear fender.

OH well...