SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Water pump dripping when cold....

Hey guys, now that I got the codes issue resolved, my SVX says "Im not done with you yet". I start it today to warm it up a little, and notice coolant dripping out of the bottom of the car on the forward drivers side. I jacked it up and looked under and sure enough.... the water pump gasket. Sweet !! So I looked in the how-to, theres nothing on the water pump. So it looks to me that I have to remove the timing belt to remove the pump...correct? Does anyone have a walkthrough link or other info on doing the water pump?? I have done subie timing belts before, just on the H4 though not the H6. Im planning on doing just the gasket for now since money is tight. Its my daily driver and only car.... so im desperate to get this done before it turns into a worse problem (headgasket ). Thanks in advance.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Re: Water pump dripping when cold....

Are you sure its just the gasket? Normally when they leak like that from the waterpump its coming from the weep hole indicating that the pump is on its way out. Would hate to see you go through the same effort of changing the pump just to see it still be leaking.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I dont recall seeing the weep hole..... is it on the bottom of the water pump? The only place I see it leaking from is right where the pump connects to the engine. It only does this when its cold..... as soon as it warms up the leak stops. I think maybe for now I could try some Aluma-seal? Im also going to try tightening the bolts if possible maybe that will slow it a little or stop it.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx

Been a while but i believe the weep hole is on the bottom towards the center. You could try to tighten the bolts just dont snap them. Hmm as far as stopping when warm not sure. I would be hesitant to put any of those stop leaks in. If its leaking there is a problem, dont put a bandaid on it just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Ok didnt put the junk in my radiator, but noticed another thing...... I started the car with the radiator cap off, and the coolant proceeded to flow out of the top steadily for the first couple minutes I had the engine running. The coolant got really frothy after about 45 seconds, almost a foam consistency, before it was even warm. Is this a blown head gasket?? Most of my other vehicles in the past you could have the cap off when it was cool and the coolant would just flow under the cap hole, it wouldnt come out. My oil looks ok, no white or mayo looking stuff in it, but the coolant looks a little dirty. Does everyone elses do this, or am I blessed with a thousand plus dollar repair?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Have you recently changed the coolant? You've definitely got air in the system...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

No, but I popped the cap off to check the level a few days ago.... the reserve was almost empty but not quite. You are right though.... the water pump leak is probably causing air to mix in. I sure hope thats the case! Id much rather seal a water pump than yank an engine for head gaskets. I just am worried about the flow of coolant out of the radiator immediately after starting when cold.