How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Where the heck is Millington?

Tire Wear Photo - Need Advice

Front tires have both worn quickly on inside corners (cupped). One in photo above is down to cords in one place.

Wear is more severe in some places (not even all the way around)
Car is 1997 with 62K and driven very seldom and with great care. Tires are 225/40 ZR18 (92W) Toyo Proxes T1S mounted on ADR GT Sports, 18 x 7.5, 5x114.3 with offset of either 42 or 48 (info from ADR - these were on car when purchased.) I inflate fronts to 40 psi cold and rears to 36. Rears are wearing evenly.

I understand that cupping is usually associated with negative camber. Before I replace the fronts, I need some advice on what to do to correct the problem. Will an alignment take care of it? Anything wrong with tire/wheel size?

Anyone have similar issues?

Thanks for your help ...
1997 LSi, Brilliant Red, 62K, #204
1999 Outback Limited, Black, 182K
US Navy Retired (CWO3)

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-25-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Re: Tire Wear Photo - Need Advice

Allignment should do it, but you'll want to have your components checked also. The top of the wheel is tilted too far inboard.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM

Check the toe, but with it localized in such a small severe strip have them check the front control arm bushings to make sure they aren't dead.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Two guesses.

1. Defective tires. I've seen it before, we had a Saab come into the shop with all 4 tires worn like that. That batch of tires had been screwed up and the steel belts were too small, allowing excessive flex of the shoulder. We put the car on the alignement rack to check and everything was bang on spec.

2. Check to see if the tire is touching the lower spring perch (the strut). If that's the case you either have too much camber, or something is broken/bent.

You're running standard width wheels and tires, with less offset (the wheel is pushed farther out), so that can't be the culprit.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Anytime I have had tires with tread like that they always dissolve in like one summer...damn HP tires are a waste of money
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownbot View Post
Anytime I have had tires with tread like that they always dissolve in like one summer...damn HP tires are a waste of money
Three words for you: General Exclaim UHP. Well, two words and an acronym. 400 treadwear rating. I've had mine on for ~6000 miles and they look brand new, still have some of the little nubs left.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 PM
M7

Registered SVX

Looks to me like very low tire pressures.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
AWD..... NOTHING COMES CLOSE

Send a message via AIM to SubaruSVXCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Two guesses.

1. Defective tires. I've seen it before, we had a Saab come into the shop with all 4 tires worn like that. That batch of tires had been screwed up and the steel belts were too small, allowing excessive flex of the shoulder. We put the car on the alignement rack to check and everything was bang on spec.

2. Check to see if the tire is touching the lower spring perch (the strut). If that's the case you either have too much camber, or something is broken/bent.

You're running standard width wheels and tires, with less offset (the wheel is pushed farther out), so that can't be the culprit.
I worked at a tire shop and would have said thought the same 2 things.
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L #5045 Dark Teal
1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon Gray (SOLD)
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Black Ruby (SOLD)
1969 Subaru 360 Deluxe Ivory White
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi World Rally Blue
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Teal Metallic (SOLD)
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe Rally Blue Pearl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Looks like the way every set of yokohamas I've had on an svx wore out. Always thought it was my suspension/alignment until I switched brands.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow

That kind of wear is never from camber. Excess camber barely wears the tire and is a long gradual slope inside to outside.

Excessive tire wear like that happens from both excess toe in and excess toe out. This can, and needs to, be fixed with an alignment.

Has nothing to to with tire brand either. (I have heard of "bad tires" but that is an extremely rare case) It is also not due to rubbing, or you would have heard it.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the input. I am going with 4 General Exclaim UHPs and, of course, an alignment. Can't seem to find any other problems. I'll know better when I get it on the alignment rack. It'll be about two weeks for the tires to come in.

Thanks again!!
US Navy Retired (CWO3)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Nissan guy

First you need to replace those tires. They are not safe on the road since you are showing cords.
Secondly, you really need an alignment. Either your camber, toe or both are out. You may also want to have the suspension checked out since worn bushings, bent parts or loose components will cause uneven wear as well. Make sure you find out what your recommended tire pressures are for your specific tires on your specific car. They do vary and a difference of a couple of lbs can make a big difference.
On another note, make sure your tire treads are pointed in the right direction. Yours seem to be backwards. The tread should point down looking at the car from the front.

Last edited by Twinboosted; 08-29-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboosted View Post
First you need to replace those tires. They are not safe on the road since you are showing cords.
Secondly, you really need an alignment. Either your camber, toe or both are out. You may also want to have the suspension checked out since worn bushings, bent parts or loose components will cause uneven wear as well. Make sure you find out what your recommended tire pressures are for your specific tires on your specific car. They do vary and a difference of a couple of lbs can make a big difference.
On another note, make sure your tire treads are pointed in the right direction. Yours seem to be backwards. The tread should point down looking at the car from the front.
Not driving until I replace tires. Scheduled for alignment and new tires in about a week.
Tires are going in right direction - one photo was from front other from back side.
US Navy Retired (CWO3)
Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM

Smile Baby Got New Shoes

Put on 4 General Exclaim UHPs (thanks to crazy-pilot for the suggestion) and first impressions are very positive. Had alignment and the fronts were basically pointing inward. Rears were also out of toe. Caster & camber were fine.

Got the lifetime rotation/balance and they will recheck alignment each time I bring it in.
US Navy Retired (CWO3)
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Good to hear! One thing you'll notice about the Generals is that they're quite noisy, but it's a trade I'm willing to make for the extra life I'll get out of them.

You say the fronts were pointing inward? Strange, this would have caused the tires to wear on the outside, not the inside. I'm still going with defective tires as my diagnosis, as I said I've seen that exact wear before, and it came from a defective batch of Pirelli's. The main steel belts were either too narrow for the tread, or were off center, allowing the sidewall and shoulder to flex excessively and wear.