Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Having driven YT's SC beast with its 6 spd and 6 puck clutch all I can say is "watch out"
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Having driven YT's SC beast with its 6 spd and 6 puck clutch all I can say is "watch out"
-Bill
For guard rails??

Tom
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
For guard rails??

Tom
Is your SC 6MT SVX hard to control or something Tom??

All I know is I want a 2005 STi tranny in my SVX soooo bad I can taste it... The way the 2005 moves the power around makes it the best Subaru tranny I've ever Autocrossed (Autocrossed more 2005 STi's than I have any other Subaru )... Unfortunately I am not rich enough to afford one of those trannys

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
ok, thanks guys, I will not buy the puck style clutch... and since noone screamed NO!!! when I asked about combining brands I guess that is no big deal, Thanks for all the imput!
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Locker Link Solution

I have been using a sprung 6 puck for like 3/4 years and the worst of it is getting the car moving, no matter what gear you're in it is pretty violent... I often just start off in 2nd though. 1st to 2nd is harsh, after that it is somewhat on off, but it doesn't rip the tires up... you just get a surge of power
... (from 2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
...I assume you are using the wrx flywheel and clutch which should be just fine for normal driving. It will slip and lose any power you throw at it as soon as you go showing off though. To make use of more horsepower you will need 1 of two things or both.... 1 is a better gripping surface on your clutch wheel, the other is a tighter gripping pressure plate. I have both. I run a sprung (has spings in it for less shock) 6 puck copper ceramic wheel and my housing is rated at I think it was 1700lbs. could have been more, it may well have even been 2100 I can't remember now, but I do remember the builder told me it would be good for about 320 hp, he said I could get about 450 out of it with another pressure plate (housing) So that is always an upgrade option to switch just that and save some money. I use a different clutch than you, so it wouldn't be exactly the same, but there it is. You should take a year to learn how to drive your 5 spd svx before trying this anyway. An pay no attention to "stage 1"...2...3... junk anyway. All that is most the time is to sucker you in to buying what you don't need... or less than what you need !! Look for real numbers, not "32% increase" and crap like that. That is just for people who don't know any better. Maybe I'll post a bit more later, but for now... I hope this answers a little.
If you have already run through your first clutch since then, you'll be replacing a puck clutch in no time. The Act presure plate is used in a bunch of odd combos and is ussually where most of the extra grip comes from. That is what was recommended to me as an upgrade by the builder as the next step without going crazy.

Add the ACT upgraded presure plate to the organic as mentioned and that should be a pretty good combo for your plans. When the time comes to pull the engine to perform the upgrade which actually necesitates the need for a heavier clutch, then just upgrade the disc and have your plate and flywheel machined while they are out of the car!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
2007 STi trans is the smoothest and my fave of any MT I have ever driven...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
2007 STi trans is the smoothest and my fave of any MT I have ever driven...
I haven't driven an SVX with a 6 MT yet, nor have I driven an 07 or 08 STi either ... But haven driven the 04, 05 and 06 STi's I have gotten to the point where I can actually feel the different ways the cars react while the DCCD is in "Auto"...

The skinny on the STi Tranny's (2004 - 2006):

2004 - Best for Dragracing and straight line traction... This year had a Suretrac Mechanical Front and Rear Diff... Along with a power split of 38% Front and 62% Rear... Good tranny for putting down power, but it kinda leaves something to be desired when you push it into corners...

2005 - Best for Autocrossing and best all around IMHO... This year had a Quaife (sp?) Front LSD and Suretrac Rear LSD. Power split was the same as the 2004 tranny (38 and 62). The new Quaife front differential allowed MUCH better front end traction when powering out of a corner, where as the Suretrac would just grab the front wheels and wrench your arms out of their sockets if you were holding onto the steering wheel, and you'd get more understeer. Still less than you get in a 5MT with it's open front diff. But alot more than in an 05 or 06...

2006 - If I had to say it was good for something I'd say that I would probably feel the most comfortable driving the piss outta an 06 STi on the Dragon (www.tailofthedragon.com)... A few things changed this year... A steering angle sensor was incorperated to help the DCCD better manage the torque split when in "Auto" mode. However, the power split was changed (from here on out) to 41% front and 59% rear... This might not sound like much but I can tell the difference in the way the two cars drive... I believe that the front diff is still the same Quaife unit as the 2005 tranny but if I'm not mistaken, the center diff was changed. I don't know the full details on it but I believe that it is different than the 04 and 05 trannys...

The 2006 STi feels more "planted" and less willing to slide around. I know what you're thinking... "That's a good thing Chris!!"... Well, yes, if you are taking the kids to school. But if you are going to use an STi for what it was built for (lets face it, it IS a road going rally car right out of the box) then you want one that will apeal to the performance driver.

I have heard that the 2007 STi gearbox is essentially the same as the 2006, just with a taller 6th gear for better fuel economy... I don't know if this is true or not as I haven't driven an 07 or an 08 yet...

But for me, it'd have to be the 2005 STi tranny everytime

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 04-11-2008 at 08:57 AM.