How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Network Design Administrator

Job Application Question (v. help!)

OK, I have an interview for a job coming up, and on the questionnaire they ask for reasons why you left a position if it were involuntary. I need some help with how to answer this question on a particular position.

It was a contract position, I was there 4 months. Periodically during the first 3 months into it I asked how I was doing (contract to hire position). I got the typical feedback, doing great, but here are some areas to improve upon, nothing major, etc...

Fast forward to the last month... have a meeting with the manager and new team leader. He wants us to work together closely on a large project, and in the process she is to help me in my areas that need improvement. Sounds like a great plan, we all sign on and move forward.

One week later, 5PM on Friday the Manager calls me and asks me to come to his office. Hes terminating the contract for the few shortcomings I have. The whole working together with the team leader thing never got started, and all of my co-workers there are FLOORED as no one saw the reasoning or even a hint that it was coming.

I think he wanted to terminate me for some minor personal differences he and I had, along with the fact that we used different methodology in doing the same tasks. For whatever reason, even though what we would do accomplished the same thing, in the same amount of time (usually faster), he didnt like my ways.

So how do I go about explaining this on the application?

Do I put something like, "Will give detailed answer during interview."? (I really dont like this option...) Or what?

Thanks in advance.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
"Having sex with the cleaning lady on the desk."

I didn't realize that there was a policy against that???
You don't want to bring up the personal differences with the boss. Many interviews have ended for me as soon as the applicant has mentioned something like that. Of course I always continued the interview, but something like that was always a major strike when I was hiring.

If you don't mind, what were the shortcomings that they mentioned?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Hater

"i'll come down there with my tools, and i start work tomorrow, Jerky!"

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Just tell them they restructured the department and a few people such as yourself didn't fit into their future plans.
Sounds like a layoff situation to me.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Here is a suggestion from another source...

Quote:
Contract to hire position, contract terminated early. During early months of contract, upper management acknowledged my strengths and also identified minor focus areas needing improvement; was instructed to collaborate with the new team leader toward this goal, and an agenda was set in place to achieve this; however, before the plan could be implemented, early termination occurred with no notice.
The areas of improvement wont help us get to where I am going. It was really nit picky crap, and so long ago that honestly, its left my brain...

Also from elsewhere...

Quote:
You know, the fact that the upper manager terminated you with NO notice after outlining an improvement strategy is indicative of a personality conflict. Usually there would be a warning period.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
As Dave says 100%.

The cleaning lady looks a solid excuse, but they are sure to question as to why you thought using her butt to polish the desk would be a good method.

More seriously, do NOT mention personal differences with your boss. This instantly throws up a red flag.

They will interpret it in negative terms, you are a difficult person to work with, you reject authority, you are not a team player, you are not easy to indoctrinate in the "company way" of doing things, etc, etc.

The manager, and possibly also your team leader are going to say you were let go because of the "little shortcomings" you mention.

Your trick will be to be honest enough to admit to some or all of them, while at the same time playing them down going forward. Not that easy, but you can do it.

As a suggestion, say something like your work system or methodology did not fit with the major project, and although willing to and you had agreed to adapt you were given insufficient time with your mentor. And you are willing to go into much detail at interview if needed.
[If they go for this it will give them scope for a lot of questions as to why your work methods were a bad fit, and you would be wise to predict these questions and have your answers ready for the interview]

Best of luck

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM

and again...

Quote:
Yeah, there is no more detail needed there. They hired you for a contracted length of time, the contracted length of time ended... what more is there to say? You don't tell them it was a contract to hire position, they don't find out it was a contract to hire position.

How much more detailed can you make that situation...
Thoughts on this approach?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

What are the chances of the new job people knowing the old job people?

How far are you willing to "be creative"?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM

I'm not one to lie, I don't want to put myself into that position. This particular contract came at a time where I was solely doing contract work. So if you look at my resume, it looks normal.

Like I said, I don't want to lie, but I want to handle the situation properly, without jeopardizing my chances...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Locker Link Solution

next question, how long ago was it?

if you have have been working for a decent amount of time in the appropriate scope of business, you could just omit it. would your resume look effective if it just stops chronologically at that point...

this is of course assuming it is a chronological resume, have you written a skills/education resume. List your skills/ability relevant to the job you are looking to grab and back it up with experience as an example for each.

...and +1 more to leaving personals or blaming supervisors out of it
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
and again...

They hired you for a contracted length of time, the contracted length of time ended... what more is there to say?

Thoughts on this approach?
This is the way to go. If they feel they must have more information, you will be questioned. You say this was along time ago, so that you should include a date. This should deter further interest.

I have hired many people and fired a few, all of whom later thanked me for doing so. If you feel inclined to send me your draft via PM or email, I will be pleased to provide constructive criticism for what it is worth.

P.S. This site is your trump testimonial, it confirms initiative, skills, knowledge, character, everything an employer should be looking for. Use it by providing easy access, with pointers towards, history, progress, innovation and development. If you really want the job give it your very best shot above all else.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-11-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
next question, how long ago was it?

if you have have been working for a decent amount of time in the appropriate scope of business, you could just omit it. would your resume look effective if it just stops chronologically at that point...

this is of course assuming it is a chronological resume, have you written a skills/education resume. List your skills/ability relevant to the job you are looking to grab and back it up with experience as an example for each.

...and +1 more to leaving personals or blaming supervisors out of it
Unfortunately, its on my resume, and they have that already. And if I didnt include it, there would be a 4 month gap in work history. And its recent enough (last 4 jobs) that there is a spot on the application.

Thanks for all of the insight guys, I really appreciate it.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not one to lie, I don't want to put myself into that position. This particular contract came at a time where I was solely doing contract work. So if you look at my resume, it looks normal.

Like I said, I don't want to lie, but I want to handle the situation properly, without jeopardizing my chances...
Explain it as a 3 month contract job that lasted 4 months. Completely honest and harmless.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:

Fill in the blanks with 'Self Employed' stuff.

I have had the same accounts alive since 1977' I was not always doing anything with them, but they show a 'history' that only you can verify'.

That takes a lot of the 'mystery' out of your work history. When asked " Why didn't you keep it as primary income?", you can say that your " Mom said that I should get something with bennifits before you are too old". It worked for me.

Now I dispatch millions of dollars worth of equipment and play 'spider solitare' till a problem developes.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: