Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 11-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Push Button Start Idea

Just throwing this out there:

Push button starters are pretty cool, to me anyway. Insert key, push big red button, VROOM. How possible would it be to retro fit a starter button into an SVX, say where the cigarette lighter is? I guess you could install a remote starter, and put the remote behind a dummy button in the dash, but that's pretty cheesy.

Any thoughts?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Parts Breaker, Tire Waster

Send a message via AIM to hexadec0079
i have been thinking bout the same thing, except maybe a battery cutoff switch...
Green, LS with spoiler, 157,000, ES Swaybar bushings, 9005/6 mod, 2.25' Dual Exhaust, Custom Grounding, Hyperwhite fogs, LED tails, 4.44s, custom Blitz intake, tranny cooler, thats about it, for now...

1997 Chevy 1500 -FOR SALE-
5.7 liter, Z71, 300hp+, still almost 20mpg

1986 Merkur XR4Ti -SOLD-
SVO Engine, T3 hybrid turbo, K&N, custom ducting, Initial D painted, 18psi, fastest car for under $1000, ever.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Locker Link Solution

No need for a remote starter, you just wire in a momentary switch in parallel with the start signal wire that bypasses the ignition switch.

I've put a start button there before and removed it. I may put it back depending on what I do with the interior... and alarm.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 11-12-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:20 PM

check a honda s2000 forum, or even ebay for s2000 push button starters... i was going to do it a while back, but got turned off from the idea cause you still have to put the key in, STILL turn it a couple clicks... ALMOST to ignition, then reach down and push the button, when its quicker to finish turning the key...
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Locker Link Solution

... but with 5 speed stall, as close to or even ON the shifter isn't bad
There are a number of knobs that come with a button there already.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 11-12-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
LOL, a button on the shifter would be cool. And ya, I did think about the fact that you'd still have to turn the key to on before actually hitting the button. How does it work in the new high end cars, Lexus etc?

Imagine if it was rigged with the key near the shifter, like a Saab, and all you had to do was put the key in and push start.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
LOL, a button on the shifter would be cool. And ya, I did think about the fact that you'd still have to turn the key to on before actually hitting the button. How does it work in the new high end cars, Lexus etc?

Imagine if it was rigged with the key near the shifter, like a Saab, and all you had to do was put the key in and push start.
A push button start is easy. Most of the new cars, like a Corvette for example, Have a transmittier you keep in your pocket that unlocks the doors when you get so close to the car and then when you get in it picks up the signal from the remote and all you have to do is simply push the button when you get in to start. Some manufacturers require you to just pop in your remote or a key into a slot and then simply hit the button. For our cars, You will have to turn the key onto the "on" position and then hit the button.