Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2006, 12:04 AM

Arrow Transmission Filter

How many filters does the automatic tranny in my stock 92 svx have. I know of the one internal filter. Is there an external filter for the tranny??
Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
How many filters does the automatic tranny in my stock 92 svx have. I know of the one internal filter. Is there an external filter for the tranny??
If it was taken in for the recall there is. It looks like a canister with 2 lines coming out of the top of it. It's bolted to the dr. side framerail right by the radiator.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Arrow Recall

If my car does not have a second filter, is the recall free?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:28 AM

tranny filter

In regards to the above filter question-

I just bought a 1992 SVX with 112000 km's. The previous owner had the tranny problems at 65000 k's. and the tranny was replaced under warranty.
He still has all the work orders/receipts for all the work done on the car.On the work order there was a note that a filter kit was also installed. I take it that this was the externel one mentioned above although I have not had the car up on blocks to check it out.
My question is :

1) If there is is a filter kit there now , how often does it need to be placed. ?

2) If the original tranny was replaced under warranty the first time, and if problems arise again, is it under warranty again regardless of mileage. ? I hear some are on their 2-3 tranny, so probably not.

The reason I ask is that the tranny was replaced in Jan. of 1998 and there is no indication on work order copies that this extra external filter was ever replaced again. The original owner only drove it about 5000 km's a year after . Car runs great and I drive it reasonably and not hard

Am I lucky so far with this tranny rebuild or can I still expect trouble with it down the road.

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-13-2006, 09:31 AM

Sorry

Question one should read how often does the filter need to be replaced ?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 AM

I don't think there's any specified replacement interval for the "recall campaign" filter. I've replaced mine once in approximately 40,000 miles, but I've had the ATF and internal filter changed every 12,000.

It seems unlikely Subaru would honor the recall after all these years. The SVX I recently bought also had its tranny replaced (not by Subaru) shy of 70,000 miles, and it has no campaign filter. I found a mount on eBay, cheap, and the replacement canister only costs around $10 from Subaru. Upcoming project.

dcb
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Good luck on geting that filter! I just was trying to get one since mine cloged and burnt up a fresh tranny!! it is $12 but it is a natinal back order IE you have to order it and wait till the company that makes it makes some more (I think thwey said fugsi or something like that made it) So I back flushed the lines and cooler and filter with a cooler cleaner