Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 AM
no limitation as limitation

crate training a dog.

well, my future ex-wife wanted a dog. she begged and pleaded with me. 3 days ago i broke down and bought her what she wanted, a pure bread dachshound. she is a lovely dog with a gread personality, but i can not crate her for the life of me. when i do she looses control of her bowles and rams the walls of the crate, flinging pooh everywhare. she looses control of her pooper even when i take her out before i crate her.

my questions are;

how long do i have to endure this before i can sleep again?

is crate training as good as my vet says it is?

and, what is the best product to spot clean carpet? im using 'Fantastic: Oxyclean'

I like dogs, I really do, but only certain kinds. like the kind that belong to other people. but, i guess its a good lesson in tolerance and patience. i just got so used to not having a dog. april (fiance) lived in her parents house with her dog before moving in. depending on how you look at it, it is eather fortunate or unfortunate that she couldn't bring her dog, sampson. he is an ill tempered 120lb american bull tarrier/mastive mix, but thats a rant for another thread.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:07 AM
no limitation as limitation

did i mention that this dog cost $1000. April swears up and down that she is not high maintenance, but her taste in dogs says other wise. i also had so spend 150 at pet smart 50 at the vet, and 250 for a pet deposit at my apartment. the phrase @ss bandits comes to mind.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 AM
One teal and One yellow

Show us some pictures of this beautiful expensive dog!

PS: your future ex-wife ? Hmmm...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Certified Porschephile

I crated both of my female German Shepards, but they take easy to any enviroment. They are one of the most intelligent dogs you can get. I let mine go half a block away from our walks, and just say "House" and they run down the street, up the driveway, and sit at the door. They even stay off the grass.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Well i have no idea how to crate train a dog b/c both my dogs out weigh me and live in the yard where they belong (i HATE indoor dogs with a passion) but as for carpet cleaner i've found Woolite Carpet Cleaner to be amazing. It got red wine out of my moms light blue carpet after it sat in for several months b/c other cleaners couldnt get it out. Its really simple, spray it on wait 5 minutes then BLOT (do not rub, rubbing doesnt get the mess thats down further it only does the top. Blotting it will get all of the stain out.) until the stain is gone with a moist rag. When its out let it air dry then vacuum to get carpet back to normal look (not necessary unless you look at the carpet with a critical eye like my mother.)
Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
The trick is to make the crate small enough for them lay diagonally in and turn around (with some difficulty).

When I was crate training, I used milk crates and plywood to box down the crate and expanded it as he grew. He never peed or crapped in it once.

The other thing to realize is that puppies can't hold it for more than a few hours. You should take a new puppy out every 2-3 hours for the first few weeks, then down to four hours, then 6 and by the time they are 6 months old, they should be able to hold it through the night.

BTW, a grand for a purebred is cheap. English Mastiff purebreds go for 2-3K depending on lineage.

DreamingOfSpeed - What's the point of having a dog if it doesn't lay on your lap when you watch TV?
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Certified Porschephile

My lighter shepard weighs 85 pounds. No laps, thank you.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds

DreamingOfSpeed - What's the point of having a dog if it doesn't lay on your lap when you watch TV?

+1 , plus us northerners have that negative 20 thing going on
Old 07-01-2006, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Playing fetch with the giant slime ball in the evenings is great. My dogs are both part chows, they drip. We had the 'puppy' (he's more than a year old and full grown at this point) in our kitchen today b/c he had a bad reaction to a bee sting and it was too hot for him outside while stoned (benadryl+ puppy = stoned weird dog) and he made a huge mess enough though he just laid there. Theres hair EVERYWHERE and it stinks of dog even after cleaning it. I have two unaltered male dogs, 1 of which marks his territory inside or out and the other (the puppy) will whine if he goes inside for more than a few minutes to go back outside.

I have a cat. He's the purrfect lap mate and he doesnt smell. He also vibrates