Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 PM

Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
This is what happened to me too when I had my tranny rebuilt. My AC was OEM '92 so the O ring(s) were damaged when the engine shifted. Spent $400 to have it fixed...fix lasted 10 seconds. Felt like a chipmunk blowing across a snowcone. AC shop blamed it on a broken switch in the line. The tranny shop now has the appropriate equipment to fix my AC, I've got the switch and the SVX goes into the shop tommorrow. Wish me luck.
WGJ
After all this time I still can't get over how HOT my SVX gets in only a few minutes parked in the sun! WHEW!
I had the same problem r12a is expensive so i found this site and i orderd some and it works like a charm, it takes the same fittings has the 134a so you get all in one order and it is much colder and much safer to use
Link to it http://autorefrigerants.com/check them out good people to work with and ships right out 49.95 for all .
Art
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 AM

In order to get that link to work, I had to leave of the "/check" part and just use http://autorefrigerants.com.

Art, did you use the ES-22a? That must be the refrigerant a friend of mine told me about. He referred to it as A22, which I could find nothing on. I've already tried calling the guy who installed this new coolant in my friend's system, but that guy hasn't gotten back to me yet. He works out of his own garage, so I don't know if he repairs leaks in the system (or even if he has that capability) or if he just does recharges with the ES-22a. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
In order to get that link to work, I had to leave of the "/check" part and just use http://autorefrigerants.com.

Art, did you use the ES-22a? That must be the refrigerant a friend of mine told me about. He referred to it as A22, which I could find nothing on. I've already tried calling the guy who installed this new coolant in my friend's system, but that guy hasn't gotten back to me yet. He works out of his own garage, so I don't know if he repairs leaks in the system (or even if he has that capability) or if he just does recharges with the ES-22a. Thanks for the link!
We use the Industrial 12a Refrigerant, This is the name and # to get n touch with.Autorefigerants.inc 1-800-524-5987 he will work with you and get the item ship to u and you can do it all your self with out paying up the yang yang. I put in 2 o rinds 25cent and I order the kit from him for $49. and some change and i did it myself easy job, and it is use in all Auto ac and much better cooling,
Old 06-21-2006, 08:00 PM

THANK YOU BRIAN and AJ4U2!

Got minimal satisfaction from my tranny shop so it's back to the AC shop. Tranny shop wanted to charge me another $300 plus to get AC functioning. How important is the fan on the right (facing front of car) to AC? Mine works but the hardware that holds the fan in place has fallen off so fan works but wobbles mightily. Still haven't been able to determine what's needed to hold fan in place besides one nut that goes on the very end.
Meanwhile called Autorefrig and spoke with a member of the family in Mich that owns the biz. They've been in business 9 yrs. They're not huge because DuPont dominates the market. But they've got the COOL deal. Tamara, part of the family but not a tech and their website says that you an use ES 12a instead of the OEM stuff and it is NOT necessary to change over anything! It will even mix with R12a! As noted below ES12a is much less expensive and COOLS BETTER with less pressure and therefore less stress on 14 yr old components! And the ES stands for environmentally safe, zero impact on the environment.
Considering how many of use have had or are having AC problems these folks are a terrific resource! Check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ4U2
We use the Industrial 12a Refrigerant, This is the name and # to get n touch with.Autorefigerants.inc 1-800-524-5987 he will work with you and get the item ship to u and you can do it all your self with out paying up the yang yang. I put in 2 o rinds 25cent and I order the kit from him for $49. and some change and i did it myself easy job, and it is use in all Auto ac and much better cooling,
THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP GUYS,
WGJ
Old 06-23-2006, 08:49 AM

I just had the ES-12a put in, and I highly reccommend it! I also found out that you can add it to the existing R-12 (or R-134a), which makes it even more ideal! (I didn't have to evaccuate whatever expensive R-12 still remained in my system, so there was no reason not to try it!) The ES-12 also comes in a version that contains flourescent dye so you can check for leaks with a UV light. I bought one of those. The other can I bought was labled HC-12a, but it is the same as the ES-12a, probably just a different brand. Each can was only $10. The guys at the store where I bought it tried to sell me some kind of conversion cap, which they claim was necessary for going from R-12. I didn't buy it, which is good because they were wrong. (So don't let anyone try to convince you that you need any conversion equipment.) The guy who did my recharge just had a simple device consisting of tubes, a high-pressure valve, and pressure gagues. No pumping was necessary. It wasn't until the second can that my A/C started to really get cold.

He only charged $35, so my total cost was about $55! We didn't see any leaks in visible light. He told me to check w/UV the next day. I checked that same evening at twilight, and didn't see any escaping gas, but I forgot to check the next day. I'll have to do that today!

By the way, before doing the recharge, I mentioned the topic of this thread to the guy who did my tranny. He wasn't really listening to me, though. He just said that they didn't touch the A/C (Duh!) and that I must have a leak. I didn't push the issue. Afterall, if any transmission work will cause the A/C to leak, isn't it really a design flaw on Subaru's part that's to blame, not a tranmission mechanic?