Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Kaline

Procedure for Dropping an Auto Trans Valve Body?

Does anyone have the procedure for dropping an auto trans valve body? Due to a chain of events that I would rather not explain here, I think I need to drop the valve body on my '92 SVX AWD to get the parking pawl linkage back into place. My useless Chilton's manual does not cover this procedure and I have not found an affordable Subaru manual yet. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, with a few engine rebuilds for other makes in my history. I've already changed the fluid and filter on my SVX, so I'm familiar with how things look inside the trans oil pan. I currently have the car on jackstands in the garage with the trans pan and filter off. Any information is appreciated!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Do you mean you need to get to the linkage that acts on the pawl, or the pawl itself?

The parking pawl itself is accessed by removing the extension from the back of the transmission. I messed up the installation of the pawl and its return spring on my wife's old Legacy, so I had to go back in there again. There are pictures in my locker in the folder 'Legacy's broken bits.'

I haven't had to mess with the rod that runs above the valve body and shifts the pawl.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Kaline

Parking Pawl Rod Replacement

Thanks for the input. However, I have to replace the rod that runs from the shift lever to the parking pawl. To make a long story short, my internal shift lever inside the transmission was broken and I am replacing it. However, I had to remove the rod going to the parking pawl in order to assemble it to the new shift lever and now I cannot put the assembly back into the transmission w/o dropping the valvebody.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Ah.

My guess is that you won't find dropping the valve body that difficult. I'm sure there are pitfalls along the way, but as long as you take it one step at a time I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't imagine there's much to go wrong.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Droping a valve body is fairly easy, but there is one rule of thumb.

NEVER EVER turn it upside down or on its side. Its possible that a whole bunch of bits can fall out then your done for. You might have to replace some o rings or a gasket depending upon the design.
Park really isnt all that important, there is always the handbrake

nipper
Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 PM

I got a rebuilding manual if you want some pics of inside. just send an email to kbuster187@yahoo.com and ill try to scan any image that you want.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Kaline

Thanks to CBX-MAN for scanning pages from his repair manual to help me out! I got the valve body dropped yesterday, parking pawl linkage re-installed, and the car is back on the road! The only tricky part about the valve body was figuring out which bolts you need to remove (20 bolts in all). The diagram in the manual is a little small to read but I was able to do it!