How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 AM
IppoJ

Hood supports

I'm wondering out loud if the new Tein hood supports for the WRX would/could work for the SVX.
If so it looks like they'd be a cheaper option than the o.e. parts.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
what do they look like? I found some replacements at Napa but just noticed they are a little weak. I'm statrting my search for a cheap stronger replacement. They don't hold my hood up when it's parked facing down hill. But who ever works on their car on a hill !!!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:22 AM
IppoJ

This is the first pic I found. It looks like there are also some longer ones made by Redline.
The Redline ones are considerably less $$.
Look HERE under Products: Exterior

Last edited by IppoJ; 09-28-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Here is a much cheaper alternative if your struts are marginal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-28-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Thanks. I like the supports but also like the idea of not having to mess with them. I just picked up a beefier pair of struts from Napa. I'll let you guys know if they rip the hood off.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I just slit a hose lengthways and cut it to the proper length to go around the strut (like the fancy chrome one pictured earlier except free). When not in use I wedge it between the fender and the fuse box cover.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
O.K. Got the beefy struts on and they work great. Only issue is it takes a little extra force to get the hood to start going down. I'm sure this will wane as time goes by. Hopefully I'll never have to buy another pair.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:14 AM

Please share the part numbers and prices with us.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:00 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
will do. Just forgot to bring the package with me. also, there is another slight mod I did'nt notice until I got home. The ball socket on one end (end that attaches to hood) was smaller then the original. I had to pull the old socket from the original replacements I bought. I'm hoping I have time to go back by the store and find another similar strut with the larger ball socket that would fit right into the how to I wrote up. More to follow ...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:06 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Sorry for taking so long. I was hoping to get by napa and find a better alternative but have'nt had time. This is what I used. Napa Part# 819-5320. These are very stiff. They would probably keep the hood up in reverse at 50 mph. In fact you have to apply more then normal force to get the hood started down. Once it gets started down its no problem.

Anyway, I took a picture of the ends on the strut. One is larger then the other. The large one was held on by a cir-clip. The small end was threaded on. Unfortunately, you will need the larger end to attach to the hood. On the set I bought the large and small end pieces were not interchangable. Soooo...you would need to find a more suitable set of struts. Some with the same length as these, but with either both threaded end or both cir-clip ends. You'll see what I mean if you go check them out.

Or, you could just use the ones I wrote wabout. see my locker. These are O.K. but are still a little week. They hold the hood up great except for when the car is one a hill with the nose pointed downhill

Good luck.

Edit-added pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strut_tips 001.jpg (352.0 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by svxcuseme; 10-03-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Smile

These new beefy struts have worn in now and the hood is much easier to get down then before. They are perfect !

O.K. here's the low down on the hood struts.

Go to the parts counter at your local NAPA. Have them look the struts up in their catalog. Here are the specs I recommend.

Part# 819-5581 seems to be ideal but I have not tried it. However, I know it has more force then the original part I used and probably a little less stiff then my current one. I wish I would have talked to the guys at the counter before ordering.

Length = 11 inches
Stroke = 6 inches
Force = around 100-120 lbs
End type = A

The how to procedure in my locker still applies regarless of the part as long as they have end type A.

Last edited by svxcuseme; 11-09-2005 at 10:20 AM. Reason: More info
Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcuseme
These new beefy struts have worn in now and the hood is much easier to get down then before. They are perfect !

O.K. here's the low down on the hood struts.

Go to the parts counter at your local NAPA. Have them look the struts up in their catalog. Here are the specs I recommend.

Part# 819-5581 seems to be ideal but I have not tried it. However, I know it has more force then the original part I used and probably a little less stiff then my current one. I wish I would have talked to the guys at the counter before ordering.

Length = 11 inches
Stroke = 6 inches
Force = around 100-120 lbs
End type = A

The how to procedure in my locker still applies regarless of the part as long as they have end type A.
I just did the hood struts on my car. I used the 819-5581 parts as recommended. They work great. They are about an inch shorter than the stock struts, so the hood doesn't open quite as far.

Cutting the brackets off of the old struts was quite a job. Other than that, no real problems. Thanks for the great instructions.