How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 PM

Thinking about buying an SVX

Hello all,

I've been looking for a car that's unique and practical, and the SVX seems to fit the bill perfectly. I've owned a '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII, and I really like the idea of a similar kind of sport/luxury car that can also get around in snow.

I'm very strongly considering buying one, and I'd just like to know what to look out for on the test drive. I read that transmission problems and bad rear wheel bearings are common. Are there any other common problems? Also, is there an easy way to check the engine computer for stored trouble codes? The car I'm looking at is a '92, so I'm assuming it's not OBD-II.

How responsive is the transmission, and/or how good is it at learning your driving style? My only major problem with the SVX is the lack of a manual transmission, but I'm hoping I can deal with it. If it makes a mad dash to get into 4th gear at 35 mph, or if I have to stand on the gas and then wait 5 seconds before it kicks down to 2nd then immediately jumps to 3rd at 300 rpm before redline, that will be a major problem. I swore I'd never own a slushbox again, but the SVX is cool enough that hopefully I can make an exception.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Certified Porschephile

Have Mike or Tom change it to a 5 speed and you'd be set. The post 93's have less tranny problems on average.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz
I thought that would be annoying too. I've owned nothing but 5 speeds since I was 17. (I'm 28 now)

Actually, I found the Automatic kind of nice. Especially if you do lots of highway driving. Make sure the tranny is tip-top though. Shifts should be smooth with no flare or lazy kind of hesitation during light throttle and more firm when you floor it. The 2nd to 3rd shift is usually the first sign of trouble. Also remember to check the fluid when warm and check reverse during your test drive. Really try to get it up to speed also during the test drive. Mine is smooth as a new lexus until you hit 65MPH and then a slight shimmy sets in.
Try to drive it at highway speed long enough to lock the tourqe converter and test the brakes also at this speed. Warped rotors (A common SVX problem) can be hard to detect at 30mph.

All that being said a good SVX shifts very nicely. It's definately got gusto on the highway and downshifts about halfway into the pedal. Passing is pretty effortless and highway acceleration is great.

A small car shift kit can be had that will improve your "performance" driving a bit by taking out the softer shifting at high throttle. If you drive hard an aftermarket tranny cooler is a good investment. Also, drive it in 3rd most of the time unless you get above say 50 MPH as the car tends to pop into 4th WAY early.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Have Mike or Tom change it to a 5 speed and you'd be set. The post 93's have less tranny problems on average.
Mike who? Errp, my name's John